Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Chavez: U.S. will 'bite the dust' if it invades

Old 08-11-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who does "Shrub" refer to? I feel left out.
Old 08-11-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BJacks
Using a nickname as stupid and childish as "Shrub" immediately invalidates any argument. Seriously, why can't liberals just call him by his name? Is it that difficult?
Where did I present an argument? I merely provided a perspective. And the focus wasn't on the Shrub at all.

And how quickly we forget the 90s. Or else some are too young and I'm getting old.
Old 08-11-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by CRM114
And how quickly we forget the 90s. Or else some are too young and I'm getting old.
Shrub At least stick with well known and respective name like Slick Willy.
Old 08-11-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

K... I'm assuming Shrub refers to Bush somehow, but where does this come from? Is it like a little Bush? Please tell me that's not it.
Old 08-11-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Who does "Shrub" refer to? I feel left out.
It is a sign that liberals have nothing intelligent to say and have chosen to settle for insulting the President because they don't know what else to do.
Old 08-11-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, shrub it the little Bush. I think Molly Ivins came up with it a while ago. As opposed to big Bush, who was a fair-to-middling President.
Old 08-11-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If Bush were here, he would shrub his shoulders in disappointment.
Old 08-11-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess you have to be a hardcore liberal to be lam...I mean smart enough to get the shrub thing.
Old 08-11-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. That's pretty creative.

And who's this Cheney guy? With all that hot air he's blowing, it's more like CHIMNEY! Get it? Chimney! Cause it sounds like Cheney but it blows smoke. Ahahah... ha... h... ahem.

Anyone want some Condoleeza-a-roni?
Old 08-11-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Wow. That's pretty creative.

And who's this Cheney guy? With all that hot air he's blowing, it's more like CHIMNEY! Get it? Chimney! Cause it sounds like Cheney but it blows smoke. Ahahah... ha... h... ahem.

Anyone want some Condoleeza-a-roni?
Brilliant! I laughed once.. I laughed Thrice! Get it? Condeleeza thrice! I'm darn good at this. Right? ... hello? .. this thing on? (tap tap tap)
Old 08-11-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let's get back on topic. Chavez... Chavez...

Man, I can't think of any good nicknames.
Old 08-11-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldDude
It is a sign that liberals have nothing intelligent to say and have chosen to settle for insulting the President because they don't know what else to do.
You slay me!

Surely you recall the 90's?

If I wanted to insult the President, I would reiterate my belief that this President is the most incompetent we've had in my lifetime. But that would be off topic.
Old 08-11-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You slay me!

Surely you recall the 90's? .
Sorry... is your argument that Republicans had nothing intelligent to say in the 90's so it's only fair that liberals have nothing intelligent to say now?
Old 08-11-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I can't say no Moore.
Old 08-11-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You slay me!

Hey, "Slick Willie" might not have contributed that much to the conversation, but at least it was relevant to the charges being brought.

Shrub is just stupid. But it is a useful warning flag not to bother reading because the poster has no game, just trash talk.
Old 08-11-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldDude
Hey, "Slick Willie" might not have contributed that much to the conversation, but at least it was relevant to the charges being brought.

Shrub is just stupid. But it is a useful warning flag not to bother reading because the poster has no game, just trash talk.
You guys need to lighten up.

Would "Ignoramous George" be more fitting?
Old 08-11-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Would "Ignoramous George" be more fitting?
Nah, stick with shrub. It gets the point across far better and shows that you're willing to take part in an honest, open political discussion. Plus, it shows that Georgey georgey bo-borgey creativity that we all admire.
Old 08-11-05, 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Like invading Colombia wouldn't be political? The Bush Admin turned Iraq into a political war when they shifted from looking for WMD, to prosthletizing democracy.
You know this argument has to be the lamest in the whole debate.

Do you really think we invaded Iraq soley for the search for WMD? I mean really... True, that was the reason given at the UN because there were UN resolutions concerning that issue and the Bush Admin thought that it would be an easy sell. However some members on the UNSC was in on the take with the Oil-for-Food Program, so there was no way even a legitmate cause for war would fly with them.

Now then, one of the goals floating around before the war was the simple concept of "regime change"...I'm sure you've heard of it, right? Now what do you think that means? It meant that either Saddam's Ba'athist regime were to change its ways and give up its WMDs or be overthrown which ultimately happen. So then what's the long-term solution after a dictatorship is overthrown? I'll give you a hint...Germany 1945, Japan 1945. Yes...a democracy. Wow! Amazing how logic and common sense helps explain these simple things, huh? Or do you really think that after deposing the dictatorship that we'd just leave and leave the Iraqis to fight it out amongst themselves. Think Pol Pot's Cambodia for the answer to that. If you think the ~30,000 dead Iraqis are bad, just think what would happen if Iraq fell into a civil war. We'd be talking hundreds of thousands, if not millions.
Old 08-11-05, 09:59 PM
Banned

You slay me!

If I wanted to insult the President, I would reiterate my belief that this President is the most incompetent we've had in my lifetime. But that would be off topic.
Curious...incompetant in what way? Not being as slick as Slick Willy?

I was a pre-9/11 Democrat. I left the Dems and joined the GOP after I saw the leadership qualities in Bush once we launched Operation Enduring Freedom on Oct. 7, 2001.

If losing jobs after 9/11, the most devastating attack on the US since Pearl Harbor, is somehow the president's fault, then color me purple.

The problem with this whole war is that not only are we fighting terrorists who want to kill us and who don't care if they die themselves, is that we're also having to fight the politically correct liberals who still believe we're living in a pre-9/11 world.
Old 08-12-05, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Curious...incompetant in what way? Not being as slick as Slick Willy?
Hey! Don't talk about B.J. Clinton like that!
Old 08-12-05, 10:14 AM

Do you really think we invaded Iraq soley for the search for WMD? I mean really... True, that was the reason given at the UN because there were UN resolutions concerning that issue and the Bush Admin thought that it would be an easy sell.

It came down to feasability, especially in terms of "legitmizing" the invasion (Saddam's track record of humanitarian abuses, invading Kuwait and constantly screwing with the weapons inspectors made him an easy target).

It seems pretty obvious that WMDs were merely a pretext for rallying domestic support and at least some semblance of legitimacy in the international arena. People need to read between the lines…the WMD smokescreen was merely a means to an end. Is there any doubt that the true aim all along was to establish a democratic foothold in the Middle East?
Old 08-12-05, 10:18 AM
Admin-Thanos

This thread has been so hijacked, I don't even know who's going to bite the dust anymore.
Old 08-12-05, 10:22 AM

My bad, maybe this will bring it back on course:

Old 08-12-05, 10:49 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Do you really think we invaded Iraq soley for the search for WMD? I mean really... True, that was the reason given at the UN because there were UN resolutions concerning that issue and the Bush Admin thought that it would be an easy sell. However some members on the UNSC was in on the take with the Oil-for-Food Program, so there was no way even a legitmate cause for war would fly with them.
So the reason we provided to the international community for going to war wasn't the real reason? And we provided that reason because we thought it would be an "easy sell"?
Old 08-12-05, 11:01 AM

To maybe put it another way, it was the best possible "sell" given the circumstances. In hindsight we obviously know that the threat was not as great as originally percieved. But at that time you'd be hard pressed to find any major intelligence agency (including the French and Germans) that didn't think Iraq was hiding WMDs somewhere.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.