Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Help Air America by designing a bumber sticker!

Old 08-10-05, 09:57 PM
  #76  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
cruzness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Posts: 7,864
"AIR AMERICA Gaining 2 listeners for every dead American soldier"
or
AIR AMERICA It's Bush's fault
or
AIR AMERICA Praise Allah - The official Al Jazeera radio network
cruzness is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 10:59 PM
  #77  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Originally Posted by cruzness
"AIR AMERICA Gaining 2 listeners for every dead American soldier"
or
AIR AMERICA It's Bush's fault
or
AIR AMERICA Praise Allah - The official Al Jazeera radio network
0/5

I think AA is as stupid as the next guy, but people who think like this make me sick.
chess is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 11:04 PM
  #78  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
cruzness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Posts: 7,864
Originally Posted by chess
0/5

I think AA is as stupid as the next guy, but people who think like this make me sick.
Sorry These were typed with tongue firmly in cheek. Did not mean to offend
Just taking jabs at AA
cruzness is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 11:14 PM
  #79  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Originally Posted by cruzness
Sorry These were typed with tongue firmly in cheek. Did not mean to offend
Just taking jabs at AA
Just consider for a moment the repercussions of saying that anyone who doesn't agree with yourself (or Bush, or whoever) is effectively an enemy of the state.

But I'm sure it was off the cuff and you didn't mean anything by it...so no worries.

Last edited by chess; 08-10-05 at 11:33 PM.
chess is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 01:30 AM
  #80  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,668
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
XM Satelite radio starting September 15th, reunited with Opie and Anthony...now go buy your reciever.
That seals the deal, XM for me.
spainlinx0 is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 06:12 PM
  #81  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Air America: We Use Clever Nicknames Like Shrub
Rockmjd23 is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 09:26 PM
  #82  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
Air America: "Eh? Who says we have to pay our bills?"

Air America: "We were actually on the air?"

Air America: "Got listeners?"

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 08-11-05 at 09:29 PM.
Mike Lowrey is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 09:39 PM
  #83  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
Originally Posted by chess
Just consider for a moment the repercussions of saying that anyone who doesn't agree with yourself (or Bush, or whoever) is effectively an enemy of the state.

But I'm sure it was off the cuff and you didn't mean anything by it...so no worries.
The issue here is that not that you can't disagree with the person and party in power and their policies, it's that you must be careful that you aren't giving aid and comfort to the enemy in times of war.

I believe many on the far left, including that fat gas bag, Michael Moore, are indeed giving aid and comfort to the enemy, especially when he compares the Iraqi insurgents to America's revolutionary minutemen. The minutemen fought for freedom against a non-representative monarch. The Iraqi insurgents are fighting against freedom. Which is ironic because as the latest Al Qaeda documentary that was released shows an Aussie terrorist talking about how the West oppresses Muslims, which is laughable for this reason...the US launched Operation Iraqi Freedom to depose a dicator that did in fact oppress his people and yet these terrorist assholes are fighting to restore that tyrannical regime. This is why anyone with a brain can't take these Al Qaeda f**ckers seriously. They're fighting to maintain their excuse to hate the West.

On a related topic, this is also how I feel about black civil rights groups. They continue to bring up charges of racism in order to maintain their excuse for existance. If racism were to end, there'd be no need for these groups. The only problem is that they're keeping the issue alive when in fact the issue would be all but gone if these groups would just go away.
Mike Lowrey is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 09:40 PM
  #84  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,790
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
The issue here is that not that you can't disagree with the person and party in power and their policies, it's that you must be careful that you aren't giving aid and comfort to the enemy in times of war.

I believe many on the far left, including that fat gas bag, Michael Moore, are indeed giving aid and comfort to the enemy, especially when he compares the Iraqi insurgents to America's revolutionary minutemen. The minutemen fought for freedom against a non-representative monarch. The Iraqi insurgents are fighting against freedom. Which is ironic because as the latest Al Qaeda documentary that was released shows an Aussie terrorist talking about how the West oppresses Muslims, which is laughable for this reason...the US launched Operation Iraqi Freedom to depose a dicator that did in fact oppress his people and yet these terrorist assholes are fighting to restore that tyrannical regime. This is why anyone with a brain can't take these Al Qaeda f**ckers seriously. They're fighting to maintain their excuse to hate the West.

On a related topic, this is also how I feel about black civil rights groups. They continue to bring up charges of racism in order to maintain their excuse for existance. If racism were to end, there'd be no need for these groups. The only problem is that they're keeping the issue alive when in fact the issue would be all but gone if these groups would just go away.
That's not going to fit on the sticker.
lotsofdvds is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 10:00 PM
  #85  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
That's not going to fit on the sticker.
It won't? Shoot...I thought it would.

But anyway, I'd like to add that...
:nopics:
Mike Lowrey is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 10:03 PM
  #86  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
I believe many on the far left, including that fat gas bag, Michael Moore, are indeed giving aid and comfort to the enemy, especially when he compares the Iraqi insurgents to America's revolutionary minutemen...
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but the enemy doesn't have the first notion who that fat gas bag is. Hell, he's hardly relevant over in the states. He's a strawman, and only remains so because the fat gas bags on the far right have nothing to complain about...and they sure as hell don't want to take a good look at themselves.

...the US launched Operation Iraqi Freedom to depose a dicator that did in fact oppress his people
The fact that he was oppressive was a barely a footnote for why we launched OIF...but that's another discussion.

I understand where you're coming from, and I respect your view though I think it's 1) misguided, 2) overly simplistic, and 3) gives MM and AA way way too much credit. My original beef was with the other fella's implication that the guys at AA are somehow cheerleading the death of U.S. soldiers and were in league with Al Jazeera. Nevermind that it's a patently ridiculous thing to say...I've seen dead American soldiers and Marines, and I don't appreciate their being coopted for a little jab at the left. It's disrespectful to them, and it's a threat to the civil discourse they fight and die for.
chess is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 10:15 PM
  #87  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
Originally Posted by chess
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but the enemy doesn't have the first notion who that fat gas bag is. Hell, he's hardly relevant over in the states. He's a strawman, and only remains so because the fat gas bags on the far right have nothing to complain about...and they sure as hell don't want to take a good look at themselves.
I beg to differ. Michael Moore's film "Fahrenheit 9/11" was a big hit in the Middle East. So don't tell me that Al Qaeda doesn't know who he is.

The fact that he was oppressive was a barely a footnote for why we launched OIF...but that's another discussion.
Yeah, you're right...on top of violating 17 UN resolutions over 12 years including a cease-fire agreement that pretty much legally gave the other signatory (the US and its allies) a casus belli against Iraq. In my opinion, the first Gulf War never ended.

I understand where you're coming from, and I respect your view though I think it's 1) misguided, 2) overly simplistic
It's simple because it is simple. The problem with liberal ideology and debate is that they try to complicate everything to a point in which they're incapable of acting. This is the same problem that occured back in early WWII when the allies allowed Hilter to annex every surrounding country. The answer to that was simple. Declare war on Germany and stop him while Germany's war machine wasn't advanced.

3) gives MM and AA way way too much credit.
Is that even possible? AA doesn't have any credit or credibility, and MM is doing some serious harm to America in general. The man hates this country and why he still wants to live here is a mystery.
Mike Lowrey is offline  
Old 08-12-05, 06:15 AM
  #88  
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,133
The man hates this country and why he still wants to live here is a mystery.
I dislike MM too but I don't think that's a fair assessment. He just hates that the country isn't being run the way he wants it to be run and will do anything to try and bend people to his way of thinking.
nemein is offline  
Old 08-12-05, 06:29 AM
  #89  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Believe me. I wish it were that simple.

By simplistic, I mean that IMO you ignore certain facets of the issue. You describe a scenario in which we invade simply because Saddam is Hitler-like. While that more or less describes our mission in, say, Kosovo, Iraq is a bit more complex in that our "purely altruistic" reason for being here is a much harder sell. It's hard to ignore the administration's ties to the oil biz when they attack one of the most oil rich nations in the world, even if they do mean well. It's hard to ignore massive no-bid contracts given to the VP's former company. It's hard to ignore the religious overtones that make us come off as crusaders. And finally, it's hard to ignore the fact that intelligence was twisted to sell the case for war.

Further, in your example of the continued black civil rights movement, you make it seem as though these groups are the only ones keeping racism alive. I agree that these groups are often misguided in the causes they take up, but make no mistake, racism is alive and well in this country.
chess is offline  
Old 04-26-06, 02:30 PM
  #90  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 22,995
Hmmmmmm... if listerners trust AA, why are they losing listeners at an astronomical rate and why right radio continues to have complete domination?

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash1aa.htm

'PROGRESSIVE' MEDIA STALLS: 'AIR AMERICA' IN AUDIENCE PLUNGE NYC, 'DAILY KOS' BOOK SELLS ONLY 3,600 COPIES
Wed Apr 26 2006 11:39:51 ET

Left-leaning new media has hit turbulence at the marketplace, newly released stats show.

A book hyped by major media as documenting a progressive revolution of "blogs" and political power, DAILY KOS 'CRASHING THE GATE,' has sold only 3,630 copies since its release last month, according to NIELSEN's BOOKSCAN.

[NIELSEN claims only 2,062 copies of DAILY KOS have been purchased at the retail level; the rest coming through 'discount' outlets.]

Meanwhile, the just released radio Winter Book [Jan-Mar 2006] from ARBITRON shows AIR AMERICA in New York City losing more than a third of its audience -- in the past year!

Among all listeners 12+, it was a race to the bottom for AIR AMERICA and WLIB as mid-days went from a 1.6 share during winter 2005 to a 1.0 share winter 2006.

During PM drive, host Randi Rhodes plunged to 27,900 listeners every quarter hour, finishing 25th place in her time slot, down from 60,900 listeners every quarter hour in the fall.

A network source says the radio ratings released today do not reflect the overall growth of the broadcast.

"The demos are better, and listeners trust AIR AMERICA to give them the real truth on issues and the Bush presidency," says the insider.

Developing...
Myster X is offline  
Old 04-26-06, 02:34 PM
  #91  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
That's a pretty big drop. I hope they pull through. (not that I would ever care to listen to it)
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 04-26-06, 02:35 PM
  #92  
bhk
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Right of Atilla The Hun
Posts: 19,749
"That deck chair goes here, this one here, goes over there...."
bhk is offline  
Old 04-26-06, 04:34 PM
  #93  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,533
Air America: We refuse to give the other side a voice on our shows! Or even take phone calls!
nodeerforamonth is offline  
Old 04-26-06, 06:57 PM
  #94  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
A network source says the radio ratings released today do not reflect the overall growth of the broadcast.




It doesn't seem to reflect any growth.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 04-26-06, 07:06 PM
  #95  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,313
In light of the recent news I have a new bumber sticker:

Air America! <Thump Thump> Hello? Is this on?
General Zod is offline  
Old 04-26-06, 07:13 PM
  #96  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on somone's ignore list
Posts: 20,992
"Air America: Because David Lee Roth needs a job"
Bacon is offline  
Old 04-26-06, 07:24 PM
  #97  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 331
"Air America-And you thought rightwingers could only be annoying"
Palpadious is offline  
Old 04-27-06, 11:38 AM
  #98  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
"Air America: If liberals liked to be told what to think we'd have huge numbers too!"
Numanoid is offline  
Old 04-27-06, 11:40 AM
  #99  
bhk
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Right of Atilla The Hun
Posts: 19,749
"Air-America, our ratings are low because there is no need for further brainwashing."
bhk is offline  
Old 04-27-06, 12:14 PM
  #100  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 5,460
Sorry to go off topic but don't have anywhere else to put this.

Their ratings are slipping because they're all a bunch of liars. The market for gullible radio listeners is already taken by the right.

I use to listen to Randy Rhodes while I did stuff around the house because I enjoy talk radio and I lean to the left. Lie after lie after lie. The last one I heard was a few weeks ago. She played a clip of the McLaughlin Group where the older blond woman (always forget her name) said that the American public was beginning to see Bush as a crazed mad man. Rhodes then came back and said that not even Buchanan or Blakely could say anything about the woman's comment because they knew she was right. I had just watched the McLaughlin Group and Blakely jumped all over her when she made the comment. Rhodes then went on to say that the woman was a fair and balanced news journalist which is another flat out lie.

If I want to hear lies I'll listen to Rush. His voice is more soothing and at least I can laugh about it instead of being disgusted at my own party.

That having been said I still enjoy Al Franken and hope that he wins a seat in Congress some day. Just to stir things up, it's not like anything gets done there anyways.

"Air America: Feel the Shame that the Intelligent Right has been Putting up with for Years."

Last edited by Mrs.Nesbit; 04-27-06 at 12:18 PM.
Nesbit is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.