DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   Armitage admits he was Novak's source (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/429979-armitage-admits-he-novaks-source.html)

bfrank 07-10-05 05:35 PM

Armitage admits he was Novak's source

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050710...sticemediarove

Should he go to jail?

DVD Polizei 07-10-05 05:38 PM

But, but, but, but, but, but, we still don't have real proof that Rove was involved... rotfl

OldDude 07-10-05 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by bfrank

Well, perhaps first he should be tried in a court of law. not public opinion. Its not clear whether it was common knowledge she worked at the CIA or whether this constitutes an illegal leak under the law.

Oh wait, he's conservative, we don't need no stinking trials, lawyers, juries. String him up. Isn't that the cry?

NCMojo 07-10-05 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by bfrank

"If there is a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is. And if the person has violated law, the person will be taken care of ... I want to know the truth. If anybody has got any information inside our administration or outside our administration, it would be helpful if they came forward with the information so we can find out whether or not these allegations are true and get on about the business.

-- George W. Bush on the Plame Investigation University of Chicago September 30, 2003 "

NCMojo 07-10-05 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by OldDude
Well, perhaps first he should be tried in a court of law. not public opinion. Its not clear whether it was common knowledge she worked at the CIA or whether this constitutes an illegal leak under the law.

Oh wait, he's conservative, we don't need no stinking trials, lawyers, juries. String him up. Isn't that the cry?

Surely you're kidding.

Valerie Plume was leading an investigation into black-marked WMDs when Rove spilled her name. He risked the lives of not only Plame, but everyone who ever associated with her. If this is true, he commited treason... and worse, he did it in the name of shutting up a whistleblower, someone trying to speak the truth about the Administration.

That's a double whammy.

Oh, and by the way... when Bill Clinton lied about getting a hummer in the White House... were you one of the ones leading the lynch mob?

classicman2 07-10-05 05:57 PM

1. If he did it - there should be legal consequences.

2. A bj was not all that WJC lied about (under oath), but let's not digress.

JasonF 07-10-05 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
But, but, but, but, but, but, we still don't have real proof that Rove was involved... rotfl

I think you mean "But, but, but, but, but, but, but if Time had the goods on Rove, they would have sold him out immediately because the liberal media hates Republicans."

wmansir 07-10-05 06:42 PM

How did he risk her life?

Here is the Newsweek article.

In a brief conversation with Rove, Cooper asked what to make of the flap over Wilson's criticisms. NEWSWEEK obtained a copy of the e-mail that Cooper sent his bureau chief after speaking to Rove. (The e-mail was authenticated by a source intimately familiar with Time's editorial handling of the Wilson story, but who has asked not to be identified because of the magazine's corporate decision not to disclose its contents.) Cooper wrote that Rove offered him a "big warning" not to "get too far out on Wilson." Rove told Cooper that Wilson's trip had not been authorized by "DCIA"—CIA Director George Tenet—or Vice President Dick Cheney. Rather, "it was, KR said, wilson's wife, who apparently works at the agency on wmd [weapons of mass destruction] issues who authorized the trip." Wilson's wife is Plame, then an undercover agent working as an analyst in the CIA's Directorate of Operations counterproliferation division. (Cooper later included the essence of what Rove told him in an online story.) The e-mail characterizing the conversation continues: "not only the genesis of the trip is flawed an[d] suspect but so is the report. he [Rove] implied strongly there's still plenty to implicate iraqi interest in acquiring uranium fro[m] Niger ... "

classicman2 07-10-05 06:46 PM

If she was a 'protected operative' under the law, does it make it any difference whether he risked her life? Wouldn't he, by merely disclosing her name, violate the law?

wmansir 07-10-05 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
I think you mean "But, but, but, but, but, but, but if Time had the goods on Rove, they would have sold him out immediately because the liberal media hates Republicans."

I didn't buy into that, but you have to admit they did sell him out in the end.

Pharoh 07-10-05 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by classicman2
If she was a 'protected operative' under the law, does it make it any difference whether he risked her life? Wouldn't he, by merely disclosing her name, violate the law?

No.

And I will stand by my statement. If he, or any official, violated the law, the should pay the price. I still haven't seen whether or not any law was broken here.

wmansir 07-10-05 06:50 PM

Quite possibly. I was just calling out what I see as overblown rhetoric.

EDIT: BTW, does anyone have a link to Cooper's original article. The NW peice says he mentioned the Plame connection in passing. I looked for it last week, but came up empty.

OldDude 07-10-05 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Surely you're kidding.

Ahh, so he shouldn't be tried first. That's what I thought. :lol:

natesfortune 07-10-05 06:58 PM

The Newsweek email doesn't show that he named her at all. I don't see "Valerie Plame" anywhere in there. What does this take to be illegal?

NCMojo 07-10-05 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
Quite possibly. I was just calling out what I see as overblown rhetoric.

EDIT: BTW, does anyone have a link to Cooper's original article. The NW peice says he mentioned the Plame connection in passing. I looked for it last week, but came up empty.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8525978/site/newsweek

NCMojo 07-10-05 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by natesfortune
The Newsweek email doesn't show that he named her at all. I don't see "Valerie Plame" anywhere in there. What does this take to be illegal?

Cooper wrote that Rove offered him a "big warning" not to "get too far out on Wilson." Rove told Cooper that Wilson's trip had not been authorized by "DCIA"—CIA Director George Tenet—or Vice President Dick Cheney. Rather, "it was, KR said, wilson's wife, who apparently works at the agency on wmd [weapons of mass destruction] issues who authorized the trip." Wilson's wife is Plame, then an undercover agent working as an analyst in the CIA's Directorate of Operations counterproliferation division. (Cooper later included the essence of what Rove told him in an online story.)
And remember -- Cooper is essentially background confirmation for Novack.

If Rove -- purposefully or inadvertantly -- revealed the identity of a CIA agent or operative, it is treason, and a violation of US law.

classicman2 07-10-05 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pharoh
No.

And I will stand by my statement. If he, or any official, violated the law, the should pay the price. I still haven't seen whether or not any law was broken here.

I said 'if' she was a protected operative under the statute....

I've heard arguments on both sides - she was & she wasn't.

Regardless - Rove was somewhat releckless if he disclosed her name.

NCMojo 07-10-05 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldDude
Ahh, so he shouldn't be tried first. That's what I thought. :lol:

It should go without saying that he should be tried first. And then, if he is found guilty... he should go to jail. For a long time.

But that won't happen. Bush will step in and issue a pardon for his "pit bull". At that point, how would you feel about your President? Would you still support him?

If you don't mind, I'd like to quote your response for posterity, so think carefully about your response.

classicman2 07-10-05 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by NCMojo
And remember -- Cooper is essentially background confirmation for Novack.

If Rove -- purposefully or inadvertantly -- revealed the identity of a CIA agent or operative, it is treason, and a violation of US law.

We exaggerate a little, don't we?

Treason? I don't believe it rises to the level of treason.

NCMojo 07-10-05 07:12 PM

I said 'if' she was a protected operative under the statute....

I've heard arguments on both sides - she was & she wasn't.

Regardless - Rove was somewhat releckless if he disclosed her name.

This wasn't an accident. Rove was out to punish Wilson, and betrayed confidential, top secret information to do so.

Please list a credible source that suggests that Plame was not a protected operative.

classicman2 07-10-05 07:14 PM

Legal definition of Treason

Treason. A breach of allegiance to one's government, usually committed through levying war against such government or by giving aid or comfort to the enemy. The offense of attempting by overt acts to overthrow the government of the state to which the offender owes allegiance; or of betraying the state into the hands of a foreign power. Treason consists of two elements: adherence to the enemy, and rendering him aid and comfort. Cramer v. U. S., U.S.N.Y., 325 U.S. l, 65 S.Ct. 918, 9327 89 L.Ed. 1441. See 18 U.S.C.A. § 2381. A person can be convicted of treason only on the testimony of two witnesses, or confession in open court. Art. III, Sec. 3, U.S. Constitution.

NCMojo 07-10-05 07:15 PM

We exaggerate a little, don't we?

Treason? I don't believe it rises to the level of treason.

If Rove knowingly betrayed the identity of a CIA operative in a blatantly political attempt at mudslinging... well, what else is it?

NCMojo 07-10-05 07:16 PM

Legal definition of Treason

Treason. A breach of allegiance to one's government, usually committed through levying war against such government or by giving aid or comfort to the enemy. The offense of attempting by overt acts to overthrow the government of the state to which the offender owes allegiance; or of betraying the state into the hands of a foreign power. Treason consists of two elements: adherence to the enemy, and rendering him aid and comfort. Cramer v. U. S., U.S.N.Y., 325 U.S. l, 65 S.Ct. 918, 9327 89 L.Ed. 1441. See 18 U.S.C.A. § 2381. A person can be convicted of treason only on the testimony of two witnesses, or confession in open court. Art. III, Sec. 3, U.S. Constitution.

Valerie Plame was investigating black-market WMDs. We are currently engaged in a "War on Terrorism". By blowing her cover, he destroyed her invetsigation, which aided the enemy.

classicman2 07-10-05 07:16 PM

Read the legal definiton.

Assuming the worse, you can't seriously believe what Rove did rises to level of treason.

wmansir 07-10-05 07:18 PM

Thanks, but that's the same (current) article I linked too earlier in the thread. I was refering to the original Cooper article (from 2003) that Rove was a source for.