Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Armitage admits he was Novak's source

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Armitage admits he was Novak's source

Old 07-11-05, 11:48 PM
X
Administrator

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Pharoh
Just one of the most recent 'talking points'. Sounds quite familiar, or is that just a coincidence?
Don't you realize every Democrat was born with a visceral dislike for Karl Rove? What else could it be to have them coming out of the woodwork to attack him as soon as they think they smell blood?
Old 07-12-05, 12:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That poses another interesting and serious question.
Are liberals raised at home or found solely in academia?
Old 07-12-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bhk
I'm not the one trying to free Mumia Jamal.
what.

the.

fuck.

does that have to do with this topic?

Spoiler:
Answer: ABSLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!! However, bhk once again utilizes the tried and true conservative duck and weave attack mode...brilliant!
Old 07-12-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
And if he didn't know she was a clandestine agent there was no violation.

Last edited by HistoryProf; 07-12-05 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-12-05, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
Yeah, if that's the case, then it's pretty likely nothing will/should happen to Rove. However, I'm curious how her name really came into play, maybe some people figured Rove was talking about her and in a premature manner, decided to bring her into the spotlight.
Well, since we outlaw polygamy (to the consternation of kvrdave) once they have "Wilson's wife" a reporter could actually get off his ass and track down who that is. So it may well be only the reporter who identified her by her maiden (and cover) name. Not very good cover as marriages are a matter of public record.
Old 07-12-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by X
Don't you realize every Democrat was born with a visceral dislike for Karl Rove? What else could it be to have them coming out of the woodwork to attack him as soon as they think they smell blood?
Could it have to do with his legendary sleazeball tactics? Perhaps his hateful and utterly ridiculous assessment of "liberals" a couple weeks ago? If he wants to be incognito, then shut up and blend into the woodwork.
Old 07-12-05, 07:51 AM
Admin

Received 367 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by CRM114
Could it have to do with his legendary sleazeball tactics? Perhaps his hateful and utterly ridiculous assessment of "liberals" a couple weeks ago? If he wants to be incognito, then shut up and blend into the woodwork.
No, you don't understand. Bush said he had political capital and he was going to spend it. Who knew that he gave Rove the whole checkbook though.
Old 07-12-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Let's see now - we've got the right-wingers saying he didn't do anything - give him a medal; we've got the left-wingers saying - try him for treason.

Logic would dictate - a slap of the wrist is the proper punishment - maybe give him a smaller office.
Old 07-12-05, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Logic would dictate - a slap of the wrist is the proper punishment - maybe give him a smaller office.
Unless he purposefully "falls on his sword" I suspect that's all we'll see out of this.
Old 07-12-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First, I'd like to know if his Grand Jury testimony jived with the real story. That remains to be seen. If he lied under oath, obviously he needs to face the music legally.

Secondly, I think the administration has to do something. Every news story has last year's quotes from McClellan laughing off the suggestion that Rove was involved in any way. If Rove misled the administration, he should lose his job.

Beyond that, I think it's how you read the email. I don't personally read it as Rove seeking to out a government agent as much as he is trying to protect the administration from a false story by offering an explanation of who sent Wilson to Africa. Obviously, if you think Rove intimidates Satan, you're going to read it differently. But if he broke the law here, I'm all for punishing him.
Old 07-12-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't read through this whole thread, because it is kind of tiring, however I did read Rove's lawyer's comments about him never actually saying her name. That's a load of horseshit. If he referred to her as "Wilson's wife", that's as good as a name unless Wilson is a bigamist.

Whether he knew she was a covert operative is relevant in my opinion to a criminal charge. But even if he didn't know, I think this should be a lesson to all (Republicans & Democrats) that there needs to be extreme caution taken in the type of information that is "leaked".
Old 07-12-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by classicman2
Well, I'll wait to see "what he knew and when he knew it," but assuming the worst case -- that he knew he was leaking information about a classified agent -- he should go to jail. Not for treason, but for violation of a specific statute.
Old 07-12-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Burn the shithead at the stake. He knew what he was doing, he just didn't think it would ever come back to bite him in the ass. He probably thought he was above scrutiny - it would be great if he found out that he is not.
Old 07-12-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
Well, I'll wait to see "what he knew and when he knew it," but assuming the worst case -- that he knew he was leaking information about a classified agent -- he should go to jail. Not for treason, but for violation of a specific statute.
I was simply basing my punishment on what was meted out in the immediate previous administration - when people (not the president) clearly violated the law. Oh, I forgot. Nothing happened to them.
Old 07-12-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pharoh
There is not a monolithic conservative bloc, nor do most, if any, of the conservatives here regularly use the type of arguments you seem to always ascribe to them. It is not true and I really wish you would stop it completely.
I can immediately think of three "conservative" posters who regularly post outlandish bullshit. To be fair, there are some "liberals" who do the same asinine thing.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 07-12-05 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-12-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was simply basing my punishment on what was meted out in the immediate previous administration - when people (not the president) clearly violated the law. Oh, I forgot. Nothing happened to them.
Kind of like Bush Sr.'s pardons of that "True American Patriot" Weinberger along with Elliott Abrams, Robert McFarlane, Duane Clarridge, Alan Fiers, and Clair George? His rationale? The "common denominator of their motivation -- whether their actions were right or wrong -- was patriotism." Hmm......sound familiar?
Old 07-12-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Let's be fair -- how many different independent counsels or special prosecutors were appointed to investigate the previous administration? And what did they come up with? That Henry Cisneros had lied about the amount of money he gave his mistress during his FBI background checks (not the fact of the payments -- the amount). Meanwhile, 6 years later, David Barrett is still investigating Cisneros. Eli Segal was investigated and cleared, Bruce Babbit was investigated and cleared, Mike Espy was investigated, indicted and acquited, Alexis Herman was investigated and cleared. And we won't even get into Whitewater, since everyone knows what happened there.

The Espy case is particularly interesting -- Espy didn't need to call a single witness because the prosecution's case was so weak, and half the jurors have gone on record as being incredulous that the case was brought in the first place.
Old 07-12-05, 11:20 AM
Premium Member

We all know nothing will happen to Rove - and if the outcry grows there will be some cosmetic slap but that is it. Classic that the right is using the what is the definition on "is" argument here There is no doubt that the complete legal defense was complete well before this admission.

I have to agree with NCmojo about this thread

brizz- I recommend you re-read the thread and see Deads warning on page 2.
Old 07-12-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk God

How about the Asst. Secretary of the Defense who gave Linda Tripp's personnel records to the media - obviously a violation of the privacy act and another law (name escapes me.)

What happened to him - nothing.

Let's be fair.
Old 07-12-05, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

How about the Asst. Secretary of the Defense who gave Linda Tripp's personnel records to the media - obviously a violation of the privacy act and another law (name escapes me.)

What happened to him - nothing.

Let's be fair.
This is the point - funny how that was wrong but this is OK to the right. I agree with NCmojo in that it seems that it is easier for the left to call a spade a spade then it is for many on the right.
Old 07-12-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Where was the left when it happened to Linda Tripp?

Where was the left when Al Gore (as VP) violated the Hatch Act & at least 2 campaign finance laws.

Don't try to hunt that old dog.

You probably agree with NCmojo about Rove being guilty of treason also.
Old 07-12-05, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

nope.

I have another question. Does anyone think Bush did not know it was Rove when he said he would fire whoever leaked this?
Old 07-12-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 634 Likes on 393 Posts
If Rove leaked this then he should certainly get in trouble. Appropriate punishment for this particular thing would be a slap on the wrist as has been done with others in the past who have done similiar things. However, being Rove and the left's completely hatred of him i'm sure people will be happy with nothing less than him being fired and executed (not necessarily in that order), Bush impeached, and Sean Hannity drawn and quartered (just because).
Old 07-12-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 198 Likes on 159 Posts
Expect Rove to "offer his resignation" and for Bush to accept it. (Although more than likely the President will be telling Rove he'd better resign).

Bush doesn't really "need" Rove anymore, since he's not running for office again - plus just beacuse Rove "resigned" wouldn't mean he wouldn't be advising the President anymore.

BTW, if Bush DIDN'T know Rove was involved, he's not in control of his administration. If he DID know Rove was involved, he's lied to the American public intentionally. Kind of a no-win situation there...but I'm guessing he'll go with the lesser of two evils (like Ronald Reagan did)...he just DIDN'T KNOW.
Old 07-12-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

BTW, if Bush DIDN'T know Rove was involved, he's not in control of his administration.
I don't agree with that. A President can be in control of his administration and not every detail of what's going on. I seriously doubt that any President has ever known everything that's going on in their adminstration.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.