Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Armitage admits he was Novak's source

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Armitage admits he was Novak's source

Old 09-01-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 630 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by X
He diverted responsibility from himself and his false charges by claiming that President Bush's closest aides had engaged in an illegal conspiracy. It's unfortunate that so many people took him seriously.
Some people said this from the beginning. Those that took this so seriously ignored the facts and instead concentrated on wild assertions. Unfrotunately, it is the way we currently do things in this country.
Old 09-07-06, 06:42 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...090601648.html
One Leak and a Flood of Silliness

By David S. Broder
Thursday, September 7, 2006; Page A27

Conspiracy theories flourish in politics, and most of them have no more basis than spring training hopes for the Chicago Cubs.

Whenever things turn dicey for Republicans, they complain about the "liberal media" sabotaging them. And when Democrats get in a jam, they take up Hillary Clinton's warnings about a "vast right-wing conspiracy."
For much of the past five years, dark suspicions have been voiced about the Bush White House undermining its critics, and Karl Rove has been fingered as the chief culprit in this supposed plot to suppress the opposition.

Now at least one count in that indictment has been substantially weakened -- the charge that Rove masterminded a conspiracy to discredit Iraq intelligence critic Joseph Wilson by "outing" his CIA-operative wife, Valerie Plame.

I have written almost nothing about the Wilson-Plame case, because it seemed overblown to me from the start. Wilson's claim in a New York Times op-ed about his memo on the supposed Iraqi purchase of uranium yellowcake from Niger; the Robert D. Novak column naming Plame as the person who had recommended Wilson to check up on the reported sale; the call for a special prosecutor and the lengthy interrogation that led to the jailing of Judith Miller of the New York Times and the deposition of several other reporters; and, finally, the indictment of Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Vice President Cheney's chief of staff -- all of this struck me as being a tempest in a teapot.

No one behaved well in the whole mess -- not Wilson, not Libby, not special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald and not the reporters involved.

The only time I commented on the case was to caution reporters who offered bold First Amendment defenses for keeping their sources' names secret that they had better examine the motivations of the people leaking the information to be sure they deserve protection.

But caution has been notably lacking in some of the press treatment of this subject -- especially when it comes to Karl Rove. And it behooves us in the media to examine that behavior, not just sweep it under the rug.

Sidney Blumenthal, a former aide to President Bill Clinton and now a columnist for several publications, has just published a book titled, "How Bush Rules: Chronicles of a Radical Regime." It is a collection of his columns for Salon, including one originally published on July 14, 2005, titled "Rove's War."

It was occasioned by the disclosure of a memo from Time magazine's Matt Cooper, saying that Rove had confirmed to him the identity of Valerie Plame. To Blumenthal, that was proof that this "was political payback against Wilson by a White House that wanted to shift the public focus from the Iraq War to Wilson's motives."

Then Blumenthal went off on a rant: "While the White House stonewalls, Rove has license to run his own damage control operation. His surrogates argue that if Rove did anything, it wasn't a crime. . . . Rove is fighting his war as though it will be settled in a court of Washington pundits. Brandishing his formidable political weapons, he seeks to demonstrate his prowess once again. His corps of agents raises a din in which their voices drown out individual dissidents. His frantic massing of forces dominates the capital by winning the communications battle. Indeed, Rove may succeed momentarily in quelling the storm. But the stillness may be illusory. Before the prosecutor, Rove's arsenal is useless."

In fact, the prosecutor concluded that there was no crime; hence, no indictment. And we now know that the original "leak," in casual conversations with reporters Novak and Bob Woodward, came not from the conspiracy theorists' target in the White House but from the deputy secretary of state at the time, Richard Armitage, an esteemed member of the Washington establishment and no pal of Rove or President Bush.

Blumenthal's example is far from unique. Newsweek, in a July 25, 2005, cover story on Rove, after dutifully noting that Rove's lawyer said the prosecutor had told him that Rove was not a target of the investigation, added: "But this isn't just about the Facts, it's about what Rove's foes regard as a higher Truth: That he is a one-man epicenter of a narrative of Evil."

And in the American Prospect's cover story for August 2005, Joe Conason wrote that Rove "is a powerful bully. Fear of retribution has stifled those who might have revealed his secrets. He has enjoyed the impunity of a malefactor who could always claim, however implausibly, deniability -- until now."

These and other publications owe Karl Rove an apology. And all of journalism needs to relearn the lesson: Can the conspiracy theories and stick to the facts.

[email protected]
As for anyone apologizing to Rove, that would certainly be nice, but something tells us we'll sooner see $1-a-gallon gas or the Cubs win a World Series.
Old 09-07-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bhk
As for anyone apologizing to Rove, that would certainly be nice, but something tells us we'll sooner see $1-a-gallon gas or the Cubs win a World Series.
Next year.
Old 09-07-06, 07:40 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Someone put Chrissy Matthews on suicide watch. He had so much invested in this being a huge Watergate type conspiracy that went to the highest reaches of the Whitehouse.
Old 09-08-06, 01:44 PM
X
Administrator

Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
It seems Matthews isn't mentioning the Plame affair anymore because as soon as Armitage entered into the equation it became too "complicated" for the little people to understand.

Matthews to NewsBusters: Plame Story Too Complicated to Cover Now
Posted by Matthew Sheffield on September 8, 2006 - 12:00.

Since the revelation that Richard Armitage, a former high-ranking official in the State Department, was the source of the much-ballyhooed Valerie Plame "leak," many in the media have refused to touch the story with a ten-foot pole. This was quite a turnaround since before the Armitage involvement was known, many journalists believed the CIA leak story was one worth pursuing on a daily basis. Some even believed it could bring down the Bush White House, or at least end the careers of Karl Rove and Dick Cheney.

One of the biggest media figures boycotting the Plame story has been MSNBC host Chris Matthews who has yet to mention the scandal at all since the Armitage report broke, a dramatic contrast to the 27 times he mentioned the "scandal" in the five months leading up to it.

Like P.J. Gladnick, I couldn't help but notice Matthews's strange flip. So I decided to ask him about it. His answer revealed an animus toward Vice President Dick Cheney and a fear of being asked to answer tough questions himself.

Last night, I went to a party held by MSNBC and National Journal celebrating a new venture the two media outlets are launching together. Quite a few NBCers were there, including Chris Matthews. I struck up a conversation with the host about the topic of Plame and why he hadn't talked about the story at all. Here's a rough transcript of our discussion which I wrote down shortly thereafter:

Q: So I've noticed you haven't done anything on the whole Valerie Plame story since the Armitage story broke. Why not invite Joe Wilson on the show to defend himself?

A: Because he'd say basically the same thing he always says. 'My wife had no involvement in getting me the mission.' He'd just repeat it over and over.

Q: Maybe, but isn't it at least worth showing your viewers that this guy has no credibility considering how much you talked about the story before? Shouldn't he be held accountable for wasting all our time? Why not invite one of his representatives or defenders on the show?

A: Well, the story's just gotten so complicated. I mean, it's just such a mess. Because what if it's true that Armitage was the source, but those other guys [presumably Rove and Scooter Libby], also were leakers, what then?

Q: Isn't that a question worth exploring on your show?

A: It could be but the problem is that Dick Cheney has so many apologists it's ridiculous. So many journalists like Bob Woodward will say or do anything just to get access to him. And then all the people in the administration too.

Q: I don't see why this is stopping you from mentioning the story at all. The viewers at least need some sort of closure don't they?

A: Hey listen I need to get out of here. I have to get back home.
After that remark, Matthews left the conversation. He stuck around for about 15 minutes before leaving

http://newsbusters.org/stories/matth...mplicated.html
Old 09-08-06, 02:40 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Ha!
How unbiased of Chrissy Matthews.
This hopefully puts to rest the myth of Matthews as an unbiased journalist.
Old 09-13-06, 05:13 PM
X
Administrator

Uh oh, now Armitage is getting sued by Plame...

Plame Sues Armitage Over CIA Leak

By MATT APUZZO
ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON (AP) - One-time covert CIA officer Valerie Plame sued the former No. 2 official at the State Department on Wednesday, accusing him of violating her privacy rights.

However, the lawsuit did not accuse Richard Armitage, who was deputy secretary of state in the Bush administration, of participating in an administration conspiracy to blow her cover.

Plame added Armitage's name to a civil suit in U.S. District Court against Vice President Dick Cheney, his former chief of staff I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby and White House adviser Karl Rove.

Plame and her husband, former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, say the White House leaked Plame's identity as retribution for Wilson's criticisms of prewar intelligence on Iraq.

Armitage said last week that he told columnist Robert Novak and Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward in 2003 that Plame worked for the CIA, but he said the disclosure was inadvertent.

Armitage said he knew of no plan to leak Plame's identity.

By adding Armitage's name to the suit, Plame's lawyers set up a different scenario. They contend a White House conspiracy existed, but that Armitage's leak was independent of it.

Armitage is accused of violating Plame's privacy rights. He is not accused of violating the Wilsons' constitutional rights to equal protection and freedom of speech - allegations that remain against the White House officials.

Wilson discounted reports that then-Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein had tried to buy yellowcake uranium from Niger to make a nuclear weapon. Such a claim wound up in President Bush's 2003 State of the Union address.

Armitage said his conversations with Novak and Woodward were offhand and inadvertent. Novak, in a column posted Wednesday on the Web site of the Chicago Sun-Times, said that wasn't the case. While the Plame discussion came at the end of an hour-long interview, Armitage was clear about the fact that Plame worked for the CIA counter-proliferation division and had recommended her husband for the Niger mission, Novak said.

Still, Novak said Armitage's comments didn't fit into "the left-wing fantasy of a well-crafted White House conspiracy."

Armitage, who has said he does not have a lawyer, did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald has investigated the leak for years and has not charged anyone with intentionally leaking Plame's identity. Libby is under indictment, charged with lying to authorities about his conversations with reporters.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...091305683.html
Maybe we better delete this thread before we get sued for talking about her too!
Old 09-13-06, 05:17 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

When is she going to sue her husband, Lyin' Joe Wilson for naming her in Who's Who in America?
Old 09-21-06, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure how I missed Armitage's revelation. There hasn't been nearly the coverage of it as there was the original story
Old 09-21-06, 07:31 AM
Admin

Received 364 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Venusian
I'm not sure how I missed Armitage's revelation. There hasn't been nearly the coverage of it as there was the original story
I guess the reality wasn't as sexy as the story that developed.
Old 09-21-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stupid non sexy news
Old 09-21-06, 11:01 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Venusian
Chrissy Matthews stated(not on his show) that because of this revelation, the story was now "too confusing" to cover.
Old 09-21-06, 11:21 AM
X
Administrator

You need to get Chris Matthews' name right.

It's now Chris "Waterboarding" Matthews.
Old 10-09-06, 12:47 AM
Registered

Time for part II