Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Challenge of Election in US House of Representatives [merged w/ Ohio thread]

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Challenge of Election in US House of Representatives [merged w/ Ohio thread]

Old 01-06-05, 05:01 PM
Banned

Old 01-06-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So Kerry is the president of Iraq now? I';m so confussed; politcs is hard.
Old 01-06-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
So Kerry is the president of Iraq now? I';m so confussed; politcs is hard.

wouldn't that be bizarre? if, for each country we "nation-build," we install our election loser as their president
Old 01-06-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

George W. Bush has just been re-elected as President of the United States.

Old 01-06-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The fine leadership of Rep. Nancy Pelosi will help the Republicans gain 25 more house seats from the next election.
Old 01-06-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by classicman2
It was reported that Kerry opposes this move. If so, I hope he makes his opposition known on the floor.
might be kind of hard since he isn't even in Washington. He's in Iraq
Old 01-06-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by Myster X
that's what we use in NY, and in my 25 years, ok let's say 15 that I would have been old enough to care if I heard about it, I've never heard of voting issues in NY that are a fault of our ballot method
Old 01-06-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mikehunt
might be kind of hard since he isn't even in Washington. He's in Iraq
The armed forces must be getting stretched pretty thin if we're deploying Vietnam War-era troops!
Old 01-06-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
The armed forces must be getting stretched pretty thin if we're deploying Vietnam War-era troops!

"Reporting for Duty!"
Old 01-06-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
The fine leadership of Rep. Nancy Pelosi will help the Republicans gain 25 more house seats from the next election.

I agree. A bigger dumbass you'd be hard pressed to find.

Isn't her daugher an actress, or something?
Old 01-06-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
that's what we use in NY, and in my 25 years, ok let's say 15 that I would have been old enough to care if I heard about it, I've never heard of voting issues in NY that are a fault of our ballot method
Yep, I used to use those when I was in NY. Old Reliable. I heard that there are paper tape rolls for each machine that record each ballot cast and that the sequence number on the roll could be traced back to the registered voter books should it ever come down to who cast what vote for which candidate.

I was surprised to learn that those machines aren't used everywhere.
Old 01-06-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I find the final Electoral College count to be rather humorous..

Bush - 282 votes
Kerry - 251 votes
Edwards - 1 vote

Old 01-07-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

hey demos....... give it up....... you guys are hopeless
Old 01-07-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pelosi's daughter made a couple campaign/press corp trail films. I found them to be pretty entertaining. They were on HBO. Not really partisan either. The first one was about W back in 2001, i think. He would always joke with her and seemed like a funny guy. That next one was in 2004 and followed the democratic primaries. It made Lieberman look like a really nice and funny guy.
So i try not to associate her with her mother.
Old 01-07-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
they were pretty accurate in the Ukraine elections. As a matter of fact, they've served as evidence that fraud had taken place.
if exit polls are so accurate, then why were their numbers so far off the latest national poll numbers that were reported by zogby and other polling organizations?
Old 01-07-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
if exit polls are so accurate, then why were their numbers so far off the latest national poll numbers that were reported by zogby and other polling organizations?

as usual, you've missed the point. I didn't say all exit polls are accurate. I'm saying that they were in the Ukraine elections AND that they are not valueless. read my other posts in this tread if you need it spelled out further.
Old 01-07-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

was there a difference in how they were done here compared to the ukraine? Ukraine is split into nationalistic west and the eastern part of the country is closer to russia. If the polls were done properly in each part of the country they would be accurate. In the 2004 election the exit polls showed crazy numbers that were very far from the official poll numbers of a few days prior. Even in pro-bush areas.

After the election I saw an interview with bush's campaign manager. not carl rowe, but the guy that actually managed the campaign. he said that they knew the exit polls were full of crap when their numbers were 5 points higher than the polls of a few days before. republicans also had a better grass roots effort than the democrats, but of course the news didn't report it. they dwelled on the moral values thing.
Old 01-07-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I believe it was called the Univac Vote-Switcher 6000.
yes, it exists on the same server as CabinetVote 2002
Old 01-07-05, 02:12 PM
Banned

oh lookee...... Boxer is crying

Sen. Barbara Boxer (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., wipes away a tear as she announces with Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (news, bio, voting record), D-Ohio, that they will object to the certification of Ohio's electoral votes during a joint session of Congress today Thursday, Jan. 6, 2005. It would be only the second time since 1877 that the House and Senate were forced into separate meetings to consider electoral votes. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)
Old 01-07-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

The other time - Janauary, 1969

The whiners were of a different party then.
Old 01-07-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I liked Hannity's clip of her speaking today with a baby crying dubbed over top of it.
Old 01-07-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Myster X
oh lookee...... Boxer is crying
Drudge had really nice sequence of photos on his front page earlier, of Boxer crying and it made me cry too..................after I stopped laughing.
Old 01-08-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised Boxer shed some tears in public. I'm sure that NOW has removed her name from their member rolls.
Old 01-08-05, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
was there a difference in how they were done here compared to the ukraine? Ukraine is split into nationalistic west and the eastern part of the country is closer to russia. If the polls were done properly in each part of the country they would be accurate. In the 2004 election the exit polls showed crazy numbers that were very far from the official poll numbers of a few days prior. Even in pro-bush areas.

After the election I saw an interview with bush's campaign manager. not carl rowe, but the guy that actually managed the campaign. he said that they knew the exit polls were full of crap when their numbers were 5 points higher than the polls of a few days before. republicans also had a better grass roots effort than the democrats, but of course the news didn't report it. they dwelled on the moral values thing.
From what I heard, the exit polls were only off by 1.5% to 2% in the end. This was about the same as the error in the 2000 and 1996 elections. They're not supposed to be used to predict results by themselves anyway.

I think the campaign manager was refering to the midday exit poll results, which were certainly not representative, and probably shouldn't have even been released to the public.