Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Kenneth Starr Regrets Clinton-Lewinsky Probe

Old 12-03-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Kenneth Starr Regrets Clinton-Lewinsky Probe

Fox News:

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. Kenneth Starr says he never should have led the investigation that resulted in President Clinton's impeachment.

The former independent counsel, now dean of the Pepperdine University law school, says "the most fundamental thing that could have been done differently" was for somebody else to have investigated Clinton's statements under oath denying he had an affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

Starr said his role in a yearlong investigation of Clinton should have focused instead on Clinton's role in the failed Arkansas land deal known as Whitewater.

"There was a sense on the part of the country that my [Lewinsky] effort was an effort somehow to expand the [Whitewater] investigation, when it was separate," he told the Santa Barbara News-Press following a speech Wednesday.

Clinton has accused Starr of running a Republican effort to ruin his presidency. Starr, however, defended the integrity of the investigation.

"It reinforced the proposition that all of us are subject to the law, no matter how high our station," he said. "The facts are the facts."

At his 1999 impeachment trial, Clinton was acquitted by the Senate of perjury and obstruction of justice. The Whitewater case ended with the conviction of Arkansas Gov. Jim Guy Tucker and two of Clinton's former business partners for fraud and conspiracy. Clinton was never charged.

"There was a sense on the part of the country that my [Lewinsky] effort was an effort somehow to expand the [Whitewater] investigation, when it was separate," he told the Santa Barbara News-Press following a speech Wednesday.

Clinton has accused Starr of running a Republican effort to ruin his presidency. Starr, however, defended the integrity of the investigation.

"It reinforced the proposition that all of us are subject to the law, no matter how high our station," he said. "The facts are the facts."

At his 1999 impeachment trial, Clinton was acquitted by the Senate of perjury and obstruction of justice. The Whitewater case ended with the conviction of Arkansas Gov. Jim Guy Tucker and two of Clinton's former business partners for fraud and conspiracy. Clinton was never charged.

What he should have concentrated on was what was dubbed as 'Filegate.'
Old 12-03-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow.

Wow.
Old 12-03-04, 10:24 PM
Admin-Thanos

I don't think he regrets it one bit. He loved every minute of it.
Old 12-03-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, but then there are the inevitable feelings of guilt afterwards.
Old 12-03-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The only thing he regrets is not getting blown by what's her name.
Old 12-03-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Linda Tripp.
Old 12-03-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ewwwww.
Old 12-03-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What a punk ass. If you're gonna do something stick by what you've done and don't cry about it later.

Bitch.
Old 12-04-04, 01:03 AM
Banned

He needs to be in the limelight, that's all.
Old 12-04-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
You know what, maybe I'm an apologist here, but can anybody else see the predicament that he found himself in? What's the difference between simply doing your job and relishing in it? I always thought that Ken hated his situation.

Naturally, I could be extremely wrong.

But I can conjugate the verb "to be".
Old 12-04-04, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I always thought he was a LITTLE too zealous on finding "wrong".

Actually, I was more irritated with Clinton at the time it happened, than today. But his role model appearance sure didn't help society much.
Old 12-04-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure that Starr went to the Senate twice and said, "I want off this investigation." They told him to shut up and finish his job.
Old 12-04-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Nick Danger
I'm pretty sure that Starr went to the Senate twice and said, "I want off this investigation." They told him to shut up and finish his job.
I don't believe he wanted to take on the additional job of investigating the Lewisnsky matter. However, the court panel & the Attorney General decided differently.
Old 12-04-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Myster X
He needs to be in the limelight, that's all.
Yep. His only regret is that he didn't become a national hero.
Old 12-04-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, c-man.