Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Do you support a recount effort
18.75%
71.88%
9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Seems there's still a large recount effort going on...

Old 12-01-04, 09:04 AM

Seems there's still a large recount effort going on...

A search of Yahoo News turned up several articles... this one is as good as any

Nearly a month later, Ohio vote fight goes on
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Nearly a month after John Kerry conceded Ohio to President Bush, complaints and challenges about the balloting are mounting as activists including the Rev. Jesse Jackson demand closer scrutiny to ensure the votes are being counted on the up-and-up.

Jackson has been holding rallies in Ohio in recent days to draw attention to the vote, and another critic plans to ask the state Supreme Court this week to decide the validity of the election.

Ohio essentially decided the outcome of the presidential race, with Kerry giving up after unofficial results showed Bush with a 136,000-vote lead in the state.

Since then, there have been demands for a recount and complaints about uncounted punch-card votes, disqualified provisional ballots and a ballot-machine error that gave hundreds of extra votes to Bush.

Jackson said too many questions have been raised to let the vote stand without closer examination.

"We can live with winning and losing. We cannot live with fraud and stealing," Jackson said Sunday at Mount Hermon Baptist Church.

An attorney for a political advocacy group on Wednesday plans to file a "contest of election." The request requires a single Supreme Court justice to either let the election stand, declare another winner or throw the whole thing out. The loser can appeal to the full seven-member court, which is dominated by Republicans 5-2.

Jackson said he agreed with the court filing planned by lawyer Cliff Arnebeck, who has represented the Boston-based Alliance for Democracy in other cases.

"The integrity of our election process is on trial," Jackson said Monday in Cincinnati.

Elections officials concede some mistakes were made but no more than most elections.

"There are no signs of widespread irregularities," said Carlo LoParo, a spokesman for Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell.

Blackwell, a Republican, has until Dec. 6 to certify the vote. The Green and Libertarian parties are raising money to pay for a recount that would be held once the results are certified.

Other critics have seized on an error in an electronic voting system that gave Bush 3,893 extra votes in a suburban Columbus precinct where only 638 people voted. The extra votes are part of the current unofficial tally, but they will not be included in the official count that will be certified by the secretary of state.

Some groups also have complained about thousands of punch-card ballots that were not counted because officials in the 68 counties that use them could not determine a vote for president. Votes for other offices on the cards were counted.

Jackson said Blackwell, who along with other statewide GOP leaders was a co-chairman of Bush's re-election campaign in Ohio, should step down from overseeing the election process.

"You can't be chairman of the Bush campaign and then be the chief umpire in the seventh game of the World Series," Jackson said.

Blackwell's office responded by saying the state has a "bipartisan and transparent system that provides valuable checks and balances."

"The problem seems to be that Rev. Jackson's candidate didn't win," LoParo said.

In Missouri, the secretary of state's office said Monday there were 8,183 provisional ballots cast Election Day, but fewer than half 3,292 were counted as valid. The provisional ballots cast represent less than one-half of one percentage point of votes.

The editor of Electionline.org, a nonpartisan clearinghouse on election reform, said Missouri's small number of provisional ballots is a sign its system is working. "These were simply voters who were not registered rather than some mistake on the part of the people administering the election," editor Dan Seligson said.
It seems there's also an effort to get one going in New Mexico too.
Old 12-01-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nemein
"We can live with winning and losing."
I'm not so sure that's the case.
Old 12-01-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Seems there's still a large recount effort going on...

"We can live with whining and losing.
Apparently.
Old 12-01-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, I support a recount effort...

...in the Ukraine.
Old 12-01-04, 09:36 AM
Admin-Thanos

Seems more like the 3rd parties trying to bluster up some attention to themselves since they have so little most of the time. It's pretty stupid if you ask me.
Old 12-01-04, 09:41 AM

I haven't found a link to an article yet (so I can't verify it), but what drew my attention to this in the first place is on the radio this morning someone mentioned the Kerry campaign is getting involved w/ the recount effort now.
Old 12-01-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't found a link to an article yet (so I can't verify it), but what drew my attention to this in the first place is on the radio this morning someone mentioned the Kerry campaign is getting involved w/ the recount effort now.
Old 12-01-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Jackson has been holding rallies in Ohio in recent days to draw attention to himself, and another critic plans to ask the state Supreme Court this week to decide the validity of the election.
Fixed.
Old 12-01-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to see Blackwell and Jackson go toe to toe. I've enjoyed the interviews in which Blackwell runs down the list of individuals who are county Democrat party chairs and local election officials in response to Jackson's insistance that he cannot be impartial. The gentleman from Franklin County who oversees balloting and heads the Franklin County Democrat party for example, according to Blackwell, has told Jackson and anyone who will listen that everything is on the up and up.

And no one needs to waste their time explaining that this is just an effort to make sure that irregularities don't happen again. This isn't happening in Pennsylvania or Wisconsin. It's happening in the most visible state of the '04 election where there is absolutely no evidence that the results would have changed due to any issues that Jackson is charging.

A great man once said:

"Fuck Jesse Jackson."
Old 12-01-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mad Dawg
I've enjoyed the interviews in which Blackwell runs down the list of individuals who are county Democrat party chairs and local election officials in response to Jackson's insistance that he cannot be impartial.
I like the interviews in which he makes fun of everyone's fashion mistakes. He's so bitchy!
Old 12-01-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-01-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, Blackwell also mentioned that the recount "sponsored" by the Green and Libertarian parties is not being paid for by the money they raised. I know that was something discussed in an earlier thread. The "$10 per precinct" law was passed in the 50's and hasn't been updated. They raised approximately $120,000, IIRC, and the cost to the state is estimated at over $1M.
Old 12-01-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jesse Jackson
"You can't be chairman of the Bush campaign and then be the chief umpire in the seventh game of the World Series," Jackson said.

Why would you be upset if the chairman of the Bush campaign was the umpire in the World Series?
Old 12-01-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Some rather sad news from Florida - it seems that the 2000 presidential recount will finally end January 20, 2005, with the swearing in ceremonies for Bush's second term.
Old 12-01-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what pisses me off

Is here we're trying to establish democracy in Afghanistan and Iraq and our own people are giving democracy a bad rap.

If they keep questioning the validity of the votes (for 2 elections now) do they REALLY think this is going to make more people show up to vote next time around?

Um, hello?

On second thought, keep making it look like the Republicans only win by cheating... if it keeps Democrats away from the polls then they're only biting the hand that feeds them.
Old 12-01-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And it's not just Ohio

WA is still recounting for Gov and my district is recounting the house race (District 9 - IN) Both those are really close though, so I can KINDA understand that.
Old 12-01-04, 11:42 AM
X
Administrator

Nader asked for one in New Hampshire.

They just got done with it and he got about 10 more votes. Did he think he had a chance of winning?
Old 12-01-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: And it's not just Ohio

Originally posted by mosquitobite
WA is still recounting for Gov and my district is recounting the house race (District 9 - IN) Both those are really close though, so I can KINDA understand that.
I thought the electronic recount was over in Washington, and that the Democrats had until Friday of this week to ask for a hand recount that the Democrats would have to pay for.
Old 12-01-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

"The problem seems to be that Rev. Jackson's candidate didn't win," LoParo said.
That about sums it up.
Old 12-01-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We haven't heard yet from anyone who's in favor of the recount, but we have four s. Don't be shy.

(I'm looking your way Trigger, hahn, CRM14, and dork )