Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

al-Zawahri speaks of "mutual respect and exchange of interests"

Old 11-29-04, 04:49 PM

al-Zawahri speaks of "mutual respect and exchange of interests"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...a/zawahri_tape
CAIRO, Egypt - Osama bin Laden (news - web sites)'s top deputy vowed in a videotape aired Monday to keep fighting the United States until Washington changed its policies.

AP Photo

In a brief excerpt broadcast on Al-Jazeera television, Ayman al-Zawahri offered Americans "one last advice" for dealing with Muslims, adding, "I am sure that they will not heed it."

"You have to choose between one of two methods to deal with Muslims: either on mutual respect and exchange of interests, or to deal with them as if they are spoils of war," al-Zawahri said. "This is your problem and you have to choose yourself. You have to realize that we are a nation of patience and endurance. We will stand firm to fight you with God's help until doomsday."

The bearded and bespectacled al-Zawahri sat before a brown background, with a gun leaning against the wall. One shoulder was covered by a brown blanket. His voice sounded calm and steady, as in previous tapes.

A U.S. intelligence official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said authorities have "a high degree of confidence" the message was from al-Zawahri.

The intelligence official noted this video resembles one made in September, featuring a similar brown fabric background and weapon. But, the official added, that does not mean it was made at the same time or actually is the same video.

In a reference apparently showing that the latest tape was made before the Nov. 2 presidential election in the United States, al-Zawahri said there was no difference between President Bush (news - web sites) and Democratic nominee Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) of Massachusetts.

"As for elections in America, the two candidates are competing to win the satisfaction of Israel," saying that fact proved "there will be no solution with America without forcing it to surrender to justice."

He added: "The results of the elections do not matter for us. Vote whoever you want, Bush, Kerry or the devil himself. This does not concern us. What concerns us is to purge our land from the aggressors."

Days before the election, bin Laden said in similar video footage that the United States must stop threatening the security of Muslims if it wanted to avoid "another Manhattan" referring to the Sept. 11 attacks. Addressing the American people, bin Laden also said, "Your security is not in the hands of Kerry, Bush or al-Qaida. Your security is in your own hands .... Any state that does not mess with our security has naturally guaranteed its own security."

It was unclear if Al-Jazeera planned to show more of the latest al-Zawahri tape.

The United States has offered a $25 million reward for the capture of bin Laden and al-Zawahri, who are believed to be hiding in the border area of Afghanistan (news - web sites) and Pakistan.

Two al-Zawahri messages were aired in September and October: an audiotape on Oct. 1 that called on young Muslims to attack the United States, and a videotape broadcast on Al-Jazeera on Sept. 9 in which he predicted the United States would ultimately be defeated in Iraq (news - web sites) and Afghanistan.
Old 11-29-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First Osama and now this.

The Great Negotiators.
Old 11-29-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

"You have to choose between one of two methods to deal with Muslims: either on mutual respect and exchange of interests, or to deal with them as if they are spoils of war," al-Zawahri said. "This is your problem and you have to choose yourself. You have to realize that we are a nation of patience and endurance. We will stand firm to fight you with God's help until doomsday."
Except we aren't fighting Muslims, we are fighting Islamic Extremists. Perhaps if his advice had something to do with reality...
Old 11-29-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It may be possible that al-Zawahri has been losing some support of the Arab world (I think they have at least showed quiet acceptance of the invasion of Fallujah), you know, with beheading of people and all, and he is trying to appear 'human' to rebuild his base of murderous lunatics.
Old 11-29-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He can respect my foot as I exchange it up his ass.

Hoo-hah!

Last edited by Goldblum; 12-03-04 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-29-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Actually, this is why I think OBL may in fact be dead, and al-Zawahri is the author of that statement, too.

General Zod,

You make a valid point, but an Islamic Terrorist killed in the action of duty, is still a Muslim. Unfortunately, many don't want to make the distinction as you point out.
Old 11-30-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
General Zod,

You make a valid point, but an Islamic Terrorist killed in the action of duty, is still a Muslim. Unfortunately, many don't want to make the distinction as you point out.
Indeed. His goal is to blur the lines and try and get all Muslims to rise up in defense of their cause.. but the problem is that radical Islam's cause is different than normal Islam which is actually a relatively peaceful religion. It has been conjectured by many that the attack on 9/11 was done because it seemed as though America was at a tipping point with the instability caused by the 2000 elections. It was thought that if enough damage was done socially and economically that America would turn on itself, and that all Muslims would be able to join in the fight (Jihad) and at the very very least cause America to abandon Israel.

Almost worked.
Old 11-30-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Goldblum
He can respect my foot as I exhange it up his ass.

Hoo-hah!
OORAH!
Old 11-30-04, 12:52 PM

It has been conjectured by many that the attack on 9/11 was done because it seemed as though America was at a tipping point with the instability caused by the 2000 elections.
I thought it was generally accepted the attack had been planned for years ahead of time... wouldn't that make the timing w/ the election coincidental more than anything? Now if you want to say it was based on the political divisions created w/ the Clinton impeachment, that I might believe... atleast it would make a better argument.
Old 11-30-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

General Zod,

Few Muslims joined the fight when 9/11 happened, and I'm not sure about the 2000 election theory. Most of it had to do with the bombing in Afghanistan. You remember, the "pharmaceutical buildings" that were bombed by Clinton.

Locally, we had a foreign woman burn the flag of the US from another woman who had the flag on her car, but that was it--(the foreigner promptly had her ass kicked, btw). Which goes to my statement about another post I made, and that was, few are actually willing to sacrifice themselves. Most of it, is pure talk. Americans don't normally get in touch with their killer side, but if forced to do so, look out honey, 'cause Jihad ain't got nuttin' on a crazy ass yankee.
Old 12-01-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Sounds like an attempt at a victorous surrender.