Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The President's Cabinet Nomination Thread

Old 11-29-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

The President's Cabinet Nomination Thread

Today the President announces the nomination of Carlos Gutierrez as the new Secretary of Commerce.
Old 11-29-04, 11:56 AM
Banned

must have link!!!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...e/bush_cabinet

WASHINGTON - President Bush (news - web sites) on Monday chose Carlos Gutierrez, a native of Cuba who rose from truck driver to chief executive officer of Kellogg Co., to be secretary of Commerce.

If confirmed by the Senate, Gutierrez would succeed Commerce Secretary Donald Evans, a Texas confidant of Bush's, who announced his resignation shortly after the Nov. 2 election. The president called the 51-year-old Gutierrez, 51, a "great American success story" and a visionary executive, who understands the world of business from the "first rung on the ladder to the very top."

"Carlos's family came to America from Cuba when he was a boy," Bush said in the Roosevelt Room. "He learned English from a bellhop in a Miami hotel and later became an American citizen. When his family eventually settled in Mexico City, Carlos took his first job for Kellogg as a truck driver, delivering Frosted Flakes to local stores."

Gutierrez, who was joined by his wife, son and two daughters, is the first new member of Bush's economics team for his second term. Bush's chief economics adviser, Stephen Friedman, announced last week that he is leaving. Other changes also are anticipated, although Treasury Secretary John Snow would like to stay.

"The secretary views his service to the president as an honor and a privilege," Rob Nichols, a Treasury Department (news - web sites) spokesman, said of Snow. "Like all his Cabinet colleagues, he serves at the pleasure of the president."

Looking ahead to his second term, Bush is already making changes to his current economics team. And, private economists say it is possible that could include a change at the Treasury post. In early February, Snow, 65, a former chief at railroad giant CSX, replaced Paul O'Neill, who was fired by Bush as part of a shake-up of the president's economic team.

The White House said Bush appreciates the job Snow is doing but refused to say he would remain in his job. "I'm not going to get into talking about individual members of the Cabinet," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said.

Gutierrez, whose family fled Cuba in 1960 when he was 6, joined Kellogg in 1975. Known for having a strong work ethic and a seemingly endless stream of ideas, he worked all over the world for the company before being promoted to president and chief operating officer in June 1998.

"I believe passionately in your leadership and direction you've set," Gutierrez told Bush. "I believe in your call for a vibrant, growing, entrepreneurial society where everyone has the opportunity to experience the joy and the pride of ownership, where everyone can contribute and where everyone can benefit. I have had the opportunity to live that American dream, so I know that the president's vision is noble, I know it's real and I know it's tangible."

Gutierrez, Kellogg's CEO since April 1999, is credited with shaping a major corporate and marketing overhaul at Kellogg, narrowing the company's primary focus to cereal and wholesome snacks and reducing the company's debt. Under Gutierrez, Kellogg's net sales rose from $6.2 billion in 1999 to $8.8 billion last year, a 43 percent increase. Earnings per share increased 131 percent, from 83 cents to $1.92, and cash flow went up 82 percent, from $529 million to $961 million.

He is known as a charismatic and approachable executive, widely admired in business circles for reviving a flagging company.

Last year, Gutierrez received about $7.4 million in total compensation, including salary, bonus and incentive payments, according to a Kellogg proxy statement. He owns or has option rights to 2 million shares of company stock.

Unlike predecessor Evans, however, Gutierrez doesn't appear to be a major Republican fund-raiser or donor. He isn't one of Bush's $100,000-and-up fund-raising "pioneers" and "rangers," and isn't listed as a donor to either of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Gutierrez made $10,500 in campaign donations at the federal level in the 2003-04 election cycle, including $4,000 to the U.S.-Cuba Democracy PAC and $6,500 to Republican congressional candidates, data compiled by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics shows.
Old 11-29-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He sounds like a pretty darn good choice to me!
Old 11-29-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems like a good choice to me as well. Great story on that guy too... I'd love to read more.
Old 11-29-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Former Senator Phil Gramm of Texas as the next Secretary of Treasury?

I'd be surprised. Gramm was not particularly a huge supporter of Bush.
Old 11-29-04, 07:09 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by classicman2
Former Senator Phil Gramm of Texas as the next Secretary of Treasury?

I'd be surprised. Gramm was not particularly a huge supporter of Bush.
Doesn't much matter now. I think he'd do a good job and the administration could use that about now.

Nothing like having someone who really knows what they're doing.
Old 11-30-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

It's official - Tom Ridge will resign his job as Director of Homeland Security today.
Old 11-30-04, 01:55 PM
Banned

link link!!!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...e/bush_cabinet

By KATHERINE PFLEGER SHRADER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge, whose name became synonymous with color-coded terror alerts and tutorials to the public about how to prepare for possible attack, is resigning, U.S. officials said Tuesday.

Ridge submitted his resignation in writing to President Bush (news - web sites) on Tuesday morning, said officials who confirmed the departure only on grounds of anonymity.

In an e-mail circulated to Homeland Security officials, Ridge praised the department as "an extraordinary organization that each day contributes to keeping America safe and free." He also said he was privileged to work with the department's 180,000 employees "who go to work every day dedicated to making our country better and more secure."

A Washington news conference was scheduled for mid-afternoon.

A Homeland Security Department official said Ridge is expected to stay on his job for a few months, until a successor is found. Some officials expect the U.S. may face increased terror risks around the holidays and the Jan. 20 inauguration.

Among those mentioned as possible candidates for Ridge's replacement are Bernard Kerik, interim Minister of the Interior for Iraq (news - web sites) and former New York City police commissioner, Federal Emergency Management Agency (news - web sites) Director Joe Allbaugh and Environmental Protection Agency (news - web sites) Administrator Mike Leavitt and White House homeland security adviser Fran Townsend. Others are also believed to be interested in the job, including Asa Hutchinson, undersecretary for border and transportation security in the Homeland Security Department.

Six other Bush Cabinet figures are leaving, including Attorney General John Ashcroft (news - web sites), Commerce Secretary Donald Evans, Education Secretary Rod Paige, Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman; Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) and Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham (news - web sites). Bush has chosen national security adviser Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites) for the State Department, White House counsel Alberto Gonzales for the Justice Department (news - web sites) and Carlos Guitierrez for Commerce.

In October 2001, Ridge became the nation's first White House homeland security adviser, leading a massive undertaking to rethink all aspects of security within the U.S. borders in the wake of the terror attacks of September 2001.

Congress subsequently passed legislation establishing the Homeland Security Department, merging 180,000 employees from 22 government agencies. Ridge became the department's first secretary in January 2003.

He has presided over six national "orange alerts" when the government boosted security out of concern that an attack may be coming. An attack in the United States never happened on his watch.

Ridge has said, however, that he believes an assault by the al-Qaida terrorist network was averted last summer during the Fourth of July holiday period, when intelligence reports indicated terrorists might be targeting international flights to attack the United States. Passenger manifests were scrutinized and flights were canceled.

Yet Ridge, a politician by nature, fought criticism leading up to the election from those who said he was using terror warnings to boost support for Bush. Ridge repeatedly said: "We don't do politics in the Department of Homeland Security."

Ridge, 59, has privately expressed his interest in moving out of the time-consuming, stressful post. However, those who know him said his loyalty to Bush was always a factor to consider.

Ridge, who has spent most of his adult life in public service, came home from Vietnam, earned a law degree and went into private practice in Pennsylvania. He later served as an assistant district attorney and ran for Congress in 1982.

Ridge was re-elected five times. He became the Pennsylvania governor in 1995, leaving the state capital in October 2001 after the White House called.
Old 11-30-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

No link is needed - I've already given the information.
Old 11-30-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good, now get rid of the DoHS all together.
Old 11-30-04, 02:49 PM
Admin-Thanos

No link is needed - I've already given the information.
God bless the

Classicman
News
Network

Among those mentioned as possible candidates for Ridge's replacement are Bernard Kerik, interim Minister of the Interior for Iraq (news - web sites) and former New York City police commissioner
I like Kerik. He's a tough guy, straight shooter and he speaks with the right kind of accent, and "ya know what I'm tawking about."
Old 11-30-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to sound like a dick or be disrespectful...but what exactly did Tom Ridge accomplish? Referring back to the thread about cutting out federal gov't fat....I'd vote to jettison the Dept. of Homeland Security. If we wanted to spend more money to protect ourselves, I think it would be better spent reinforcing the FBI, the local police, and renovating the CIA.
Old 11-30-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by wabio
Not to sound like a dick or be disrespectful...but what exactly did Tom Ridge accomplish?
I think there was an entire thread on this.
Old 11-30-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by wabio
Not to sound like a dick or be disrespectful...but what exactly did Tom Ridge accomplish? Referring back to the thread about cutting out federal gov't fat....I'd vote to jettison the Dept. of Homeland Security. If we wanted to spend more money to protect ourselves, I think it would be better spent reinforcing the FBI, the local police, and renovating the CIA.
all the agencies in homeland security used to belong to different departments and used to fight with each other over turf. Tom Ridge managed moving around 200,000 people from different agencies into one department. The experience alone will give him the ability to have his pick of jobs in the civilian world.
Old 12-01-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Names Floated as Ridge Replacement

Associated Press

WASHINGTON Tom Ridge's successor as chief of the Homeland Security Department will have to unify a sprawling bureaucracy, a deadly serious job where failure could put the United States at risk of another terror attack.

Ridge, who announced his resignation Tuesday, acknowledged the frustrations of working out the kinks in the broadest government reorganization in half a century, a job critics say remains largely incomplete. "I like going to work every day," Ridge said, before adding, "There are certain days I've enjoyed it even more."

Ridge said he will remain in the job until Feb. 1, unless the Senate confirms his successor earlier. Among those cited as potential candidates are Bernard Kerik , the former New York City police commissioner who helped rebuild Iraq's police force; former Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Joe Allbaugh; Environmental Protection Agency (search) Administrator Mike Leavitt; and White House homeland security adviser Fran Townsend.

Others are also believed to be interested in the job, including Asa Hutchinson, undersecretary for border and transportation security in the Homeland Security Department.

Critics said Ridge's legacy is mixed at Homeland Security, a collection of 22 disparate federal agencies with more than 180,000 employees. It includes Citizenship and Immigration Services, the Customs Service, the Coast Guard, the Secret Service and the Transportation Security Administration, with a combined budget of $36 billion.

"He was dealt an impossible hand," said Richard Clarke, the former top counterterrorism adviser to President Bush who resigned last year. "He was not allowed to make some of the key decisions about the beginning of the department. I think anyone would have failed under those circumstances."

Although the Homeland Security Department originally was envisioned as a broker of intelligence after the 2001 terror attacks, the Bush administration opted to establish a new terrorist screening center and terrorist threat integration center, set up at the FBI and CIA respectively.

"Ridge is a personality. He engendered extreme loyalty in headquarters staff," said Dan Prieto, a research director at Harvard University and former Democratic staff member for the House Homeland Security Committee. "Was he the right person to go out on a limb, knock heads and make sure the department achieved this goal? I would argue that he wasn't."

Even loyalists to Ridge acknowledge the next secretary must work to unify the organization, which still uses hundreds of different computer networks for systems such as intelligence, accounting, procurement and hiring. Auditors have complained about the department's spending controls and the security of its own computer networks, and it can take months at Homeland Security to hire key employees for important positions.

"Tom Ridge is a decent man and a fine public servant but unfortunately was not given the leeway or resources to tighten up homeland security the way it should be done," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y. "We hope that whoever the administration chooses to succeed him will be given the tools needed to really do the job."

Ridge will be remembered for his terror alerts and tutorials about how to prepare for possible attacks, including the controversial "disaster kits" that caused last year's run on duct tape and plastic sheeting. He said he was certain the country is safer today than before the suicide hijackings on Sept. 11, 2001, killed nearly 3,000 people in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

"I am confident that the terrorists are aware that from the curb to the cockpit we've got additional security measures that didn't exist a couple years ago," Ridge told reporters Tuesday at the department's Washington campus, which he helped create.

Bush said Ridge's efforts resulted in "safer skies, increased border and port security and enhanced measures to safeguard our critical infrastructure and the American public."

Ridge sent his letter of resignation to Bush at midday Tuesday, after attending a morning White House threat briefing with CIA and FBI officials. The former Pennsylvania governor thanked Bush for giving him the opportunity to fight back against terrorists. He recalled that the passengers on Flight 93, who forced their hijacked plane down in a Pennsylvania field, had also fought back.

"There will always be more to do, but today, America is significantly stronger and safer than ever before," Ridge wrote Bush.

After Ridge sent the letter to Bush, he met with senior department leaders to tell them his plans.

Ridge is the seventh of Bush's 15-member Cabinet to announce they won't be part of the second term. More are expected, and administration officials said Treasury Secretary John Snow or Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson appear to be next.

The turnover in the Bush Cabinet is typical of second-term presidencies. Presidents Clinton and Reagan had seven Cabinet seats change hands after they won new terms, President Nixon nine and Presidents Truman and Johnson four each.

I don't believe it will be Asa Hutchinson.
Old 12-02-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Bush to Name Nebraska Governor Agriculture Secretary

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) will nominate Nebraska Gov. Mike Johanns to be the next U.S. agriculture secretary, farm industry and administration sources said on Thursday.

Johanns, 54, is a Republican now serving his second term as governor.

The White House said it would announce Bush's choice to head the $80 billion U.S. Agriculture Department at 11:30 a.m. EST.

"They say it's Gov. Johanns in Nebraska," said one farm industry source. Another lobbyist said, "it's true" when asked if Johanns would be the nominee.

However, aides to Johanns in Nebraska said they knew nothing about his nomination.

"I have no knowledge that he's being appointed as ag secretary," said Larry Bare, chief of staff for Johanns in Lincoln. "Our phones are ringing off the hook, I can tell you that."

Johanns, born in Iowa and raised on a dairy farm, earned his law degree from Creighton University in Omaha. After clerking for the Nebraska Supreme Court, he practiced law with a private firm.

He began his political career in the 1980s with election to a county board of commissioners then the Lincoln city council. In 1991, he served the first of two terms as mayor of Lincoln.

As governor, he was an outspoken supporter of ethanol and sought to promote value-added agriculture. He led trade delegations to Japan, Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Australia, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, and Chile.

Johanns also fought for federal assistance to Nebraska farmers during recent years of severe drought that parched crops and forced ranchers to sell off cattle.

Johanns has two children and is married to Stephanie Johanns, a former state senator.

A bad move by Bush.

Charles Stenholm, actually a farmer, would have been a much better choice.
Old 12-02-04, 11:59 AM
Banned

pic!
Old 12-02-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

2 reasons Bush didn't select Stenholm:

1. The real power, Tom DeLay, told him not to.

2. Johanns was the choice of ADM.
Old 12-02-04, 12:30 PM

2 reasons Bush didn't select Stenholm:

1. The real power, Tom DeLay, told him not to.

2. Johanns was the choice of ADM.

Old 12-02-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Pharoh
Which part do you don't believe is true?
Old 12-02-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Bush has picked former NYC Police Commissioner, Bernard Kerick to be the new head of homeland security.
Old 12-02-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Yet another resignation - UN Ambassador, John Danforth resigns.

Hell, he just got the job.

What's happening?

Who's next - Laura?
Old 12-02-04, 09:06 PM
Admin-Thanos

Bush has picked former NYC Police Commissioner, Bernard Kerick to be the new head of homeland security.
Old 12-02-04, 10:06 PM

i'm happy with that pick. he is a good guy and, more importantly, he is what we need in that position--a cop not a politician.
Old 12-03-04, 09:29 AM

Yet another resignation - UN Ambassador, John Danforth resigns.

Hell, he just got the job.

What's happening?

Who's next - Laura?

No, Tommy Thompson.

I believe Danforth resigned because he was passed over for the State job for an inferior candidate. He wasn't too happy with the decision.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.