Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Colombian official: Rebels planned to kill Bush

Old 11-28-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Colombian official: Rebels planned to kill Bush

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americ...lot/index.html

I don't like Bush but that's just terrible, obviously

Old 11-29-04, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Colombian official: Rebels planned to kill Bush

Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americ...lot/index.html

I don't like Bush but that's just terrible, obviously

Agreed, but it also, unfortunately illustrates that we've made more enemies than friends in the past couple of years.
Old 11-29-04, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CNN or some channel ran some piece about how other countries dislike Bush and it came after this news byte. I'm sure it's just liberal media though since everyone in every country obviously loves Bush...

One of the things mentioned was something about how Bush could be arrested if he stepped foot in Canada... they speculated that such a thing wouldn't likely happen and even if it did it wouldn't be until after his term is up. The charges were war crime based.

Funny thing is that this sort of news won't phase any Bush supporters because it seems that they tend to not give a shit what other countries think or what happens to them.
Old 11-29-04, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Colombian official: Rebels planned to kill Bush

Originally posted by hahn
Agreed, but it also, unfortunately illustrates that we've made more enemies than friends in the past couple of years.
How so?
Old 11-29-04, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Violent leftist rebels and narco-terrorists have been a problem in South America a lot longer than two years. Also, IIRC, the last four presidents all have supported the drug war in South America and funded military actions there.
Old 11-29-04, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I knew there was a valid reason as to why they tried to keep one of the Secret Service agents away from Bush. Seems the plan was to remove one agent at a time.
Old 11-29-04, 06:58 AM
Suspended

Colombian terrorists have been a threat to US personnel and politicians for decades. This shouldn't be "news".
Old 11-29-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. This is news? Must be a slow day.

I'm sure the insurgents in Iraq wanted to kill GWB when he visited last Thanksgiving.
Old 11-29-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what else is new.....colombian guerillas are ignorant and that area has been in turmoil for years
Old 11-29-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a ridiculous statement. Extreme left wing rebels want to kill Bush so thats somehow an indictment of how he's lost allies??? I'm sure you wouldn't have been saying this if dear ol Clinton was the target
Old 11-29-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Worthy of being added to my sig

Last edited by General Zod; 11-29-04 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-29-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

must be a real failure that bush couldn't play nice with rebels that kill thousands a year and sell drugs
Old 11-29-04, 09:34 PM
Suspended

No Coca for anyuhyoo mangs.
Old 11-29-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: Colombian official: Rebels planned to kill Bush

Originally posted by Ranger

Violent leftist rebels and narco-terrorists have been a problem in South America a lot longer than two years. Also, IIRC, the last four presidents all have supported the drug war in South America and funded military actions there.
How many of them have had confirmed assassination attempt orders directed against them?
Old 11-29-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by al_bundy
must be a real failure that bush couldn't play nice with rebels that kill thousands a year and sell drugs
Yeah. THAT'S what I said.
Old 11-29-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by IMRICKJAMES
What a ridiculous statement. Extreme left wing rebels want to kill Bush so thats somehow an indictment of how he's lost allies??? I'm sure you wouldn't have been saying this if dear ol Clinton was the target
Read more carefully. I didn't say he's lost allies. I said he's more enemies than friends. You are disputing this claim?

And how in the world does Clinton have anything to do with this? He WASN'T targeted, IMO, because he wasn't as fiercely hated. So I don't see the point you're trying to make.
Old 11-29-04, 10:44 PM

Well, it looks like Bush wasn't targeted either according to the latest reports. The Columbian government has rescinded the statement their defense minister made earlier.

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-break...3748-4732r.htm
-----

Colombia now denies plot to kill Bush

Bogota, Colombia, Nov. 29 (UPI) -- A Colombian official has rescinded earlier reports a Marxist rebel group wanted to kill President George W. Bush during his stop in Colombia last week.

Following Bush's one-day visit with President Alvaro Uribe in Colombia, the nation's defense minister, Jorge Uribe (no relation to the president), said the leftist Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia had planned to assassinate the American leader.

But Colombian Interior and Justice Minister Sabas Pretelt said Monday there was no evidence supporting Uribe's claim.

Colombia mobilized 15,000 soldiers to protect the U.S. president and establish a security perimeter around the seaside city of Cartagena during last week's summit.
Old 11-30-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wanted to make friends with the drug lords!
Old 11-30-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Colombian official: Rebels planned to kill Bush

How many of them have had confirmed assassination attempt orders directed against them?
I don't know, you tell me. The point simply is that the Marxist rebels have been a long-term problem. Their tacitics include kidnapping civilians and politicans, and killing them when it furthers their agenda.
Old 11-30-04, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Colombian official: Rebels planned to kill Bush

Read more carefully. I didn't say he's lost allies. I said he's more enemies than friends. You are disputing this claim?

And how in the world does Clinton have anything to do with this? He WASN'T targeted, IMO, because he wasn't as fiercely hated. So I don't see the point you're trying to make.
Pointing out we have more enemies than friends is meaningless in this case. Columbian rebels weren't are friends before Bush, they won't be our friends after Bush. I brought Clinton into this because it's blatantly clear you don't like Bush and you are just searching for ways to take shots at him anyway you can i.e. the more enemies than friends line. I doubt that if Columbian rebels tried to assasinate Clinton you wouldn't blame Clinton for the rebels hating him.

You're just ridiculous. Bush is 'fiercely hated' as you put it... by rebel extremist!!! And thats a bad thing?

Last edited by IMRICKJAMES; 11-30-04 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-30-04, 07:46 AM

Are we as active in "the war on drugs" as we used to be? Or is it that it just isn't reported any more? This used to be in the news much more with previous presidents than with Bush.

If we've backed off to some extent, why would they hate Bush so much? I mean, if we're focused elsewhere and less concerned with the druglords down there, they should _like_ Bush.
Old 11-30-04, 07:56 AM
X
Administrator

I can just feel the love here...
CBS News Correspondent Bob Orr reports that in Bogota, the capital, protesters denounced what they called "Yankee intervention" in their country and battled police, killing one officer.

Four hundred miles north, in the coastal resort city of Cartegena, police arrested three rebel sympathizers and confiscated what the Secret Service called "bomb making materials" at a home about six blocks from a spot Mr. Clinton would visit hours later.

The 4.4-pound bomb was planted by rebels and designed to "cause panic but not huge damage," a police spokesman told Reuters. He said two men, believed to be members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), the country's largest guerrilla force, had been arrested.

More than 5,000 soldiers and police, 350 U.S. Secret Service agents, helicopter gunships and navy patrol boats were drafted into Cartagena to protect Mr. Clinton during his day-long stay.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/...in229098.shtml
Clinton in Colombia: The Ugly American

When President Clinton announced his trip to Colombia, he said his purpose was "to seek peace, to fight illicit drugs, to build its economy, and to deepen democracy."

Nothing could be further from the truth.

The Clinton administration seeks not peace but rather a military solution to the 40-year old civil war in Colombia. About three-quarters of its record-breaking aid package to Colombia is for the military and police. Like Presidents Kennedy and Johnson in Vietnam, Mr. Clinton is convinced
that superior firepower can destroy a deeply entrenched, armed insurgency.

If this requires the continuing murder of 3000 civilians each year, or creating 300,000 refugees annually, that is a price that Mr. Clinton is willing to pay.

The term "human rights abuse" is a euphemism-- let's be honest about what our tax dollars are paying for in Colombia. "They drank and danced and cheered as they butchered us like hogs," reports a survivor of a recent massacre described in the New York Times. He was describing the slaughter of 36 people in the town of El Salado, by 300 paramilitary troops in February. The troops began bringing
their victims to the town square on a Friday, and according to the Times, "ordered liquor and music, and then embarked on a calculated rampage of torture, rape and killing" that lasted until Sunday. The victims included a 6-year old girl and an elderly woman.

The Colombian army stood by a few miles away, setting up roadblocks that prevented human rights and rescue workers from trying to help the villagers.

Last month another mass killing of six people took place in northwest Colombia while an army helicopter hovered overhead and soldiers were on patrol nearby.

Nonetheless, President Clinton has now waived most of the human rights conditions that Congress attached to his military aid package, making it clear that these types of massacres would not affect US policy.

This war is not about "illicit drugs," and it never has been. According to our own Drug Enforcement Agency, there is drug-related corruption in all branches of the Colombian government, including its armed forces, which are now the third largest recipient of US military aid in the world (after
Israel and Egypt). The paramilitary death squads, which are closely linked to the Colombian military and-- according to human rights groups-- responsible for the vast majority of political murders, are up to their necks in drug trafficking. Their leader recently admitted in a TV interview that 70 percent of their funding was from the drug trade. But our tax dollars will not be used to go after them.

Our money for Colombia will not help "build its economy," which is suffering through its worst recession in more than half a century. More than a fifth of the labor force is unemployed, and millions of peasants have no marketable alternatives to growing coca if they are to survive. Poisoning their land, rivers and other crops with aerial spraying of herbicides only adds further injury and more recruits for the
armed conflict.

The same is true for the budget austerity ordered by the International Monetary Fund: with Washington's backing, these policies are likely to worsen the recession and increase unemployment in Colombia.

Widening the war will not "deepen democracy," but will further destroy what little is left of it. By giving the Colombian government and armed forces another enormous blank check, the Clinton administration simply encourages more massacres as well as impunity for the perpetrators. There
is no reason for Colombian officials to make the necessary concessions to negotiate an end to the conflict if they know they have unlimited support for war, including massacres of civilians.

The guerrilla groups are understandably wary of a situation in which they have no guarantees that they or their supporters could survive without their own armed forces. Their last attempt, in the mid-eighties, to put down their arms and participate in elections was met with the slaughter of thousands of their supporters as well as candidates.

Meanwhile, 37 human rights and other non-governmental organizations in Colombia have stated that they will not accept any funds from "Plan Colombia," the program that our massive aid package-- $1.3 billion, with $860 million for Colombia-- is partially funding. And neighboring states-- including Ecuador and Peru-- are beginning to worry that continued escalation of the war will spill over into their
territories.

We can only hope that the backlash against the Administration's pursuit of a violent solution to Colombia's civil war will continue to grow. When Colombia's fate is left to the Colombians, then there will be a chance "to seek peace, build the economy, and deepen democracy."

http://www.cepr.net/columns/weisbrot...n_columbia.htm
Old 11-30-04, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by DarkElf
Are we as active in "the war on drugs" as we used to be? Or is it that it just isn't reported any more? This used to be in the news much more with previous presidents than with Bush.

If we've backed off to some extent, why would they hate Bush so much? I mean, if we're focused elsewhere and less concerned with the druglords down there, they should _like_ Bush.

We've certainly been extremely active against FARC during the current administration, as has the Colombian government. The greatest achievements in the battle against these terrorists have been accomplished while George W. Bush has been in office.
Old 11-30-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Bush Heads to Canada!!

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush's trip North of the border will be akin to a polite dance where he'll try to avoid missteps that could create more anti-Americanism in Canada. For his part, Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin will want to avoid looking as if he's bending to U.S. will on trade and security issues.

After years of bickering, Bush is hoping to patch up relations with Ottawa when he arrives Tuesday on the first official visit to Canada by a U.S. president in nearly 10 years.

Relations between the two nations got off to a rocky start when Bush chose Mexico instead of Canada as the first country he'd visit. Trade disputes -- a key topic of discussion -- and the war in Iraq further soured the friendship.

Martin, Canada's former finance minister and a wealthy shipping magnate, however, has repeatedly expressed a desire to rebuild U.S.-Canada relations, which cooled under his predecessor, Jean Chretien. The dialogue became even more strained when Chretien decided against sending troops to Iraq -- a decision supported by more than 80 percent of Canadians.

"Under Chretien, relations were terrible," John Hulsman, research fellow in foreign policy at Heritage Foundation, said of the former prime minister whose aide called Bush a "moron" in November 2002. "It got so bad that in the Parliament one time they forgot to turn the mikes off and someone was calling Bush a bastard."

That comment by legislator Carolyn Parrish didn't hurt her political career any, Hulsman said.

Bush will not make a customary speech at the House of Commons in Ottawa where the sometimes raucous Parliament has been known to heckle speakers. Bush's unpopularity is expected to be protested by demonstrators upset about trade issues and Iraq.

Martin, who replaced Chretien in 2003, has always been seen as more pro-American.

"If you're the finance minister, whether you like it or not, you're next to the economic dynamo of the world, so you're going to engage that power whether you like them or not," Hulsman said. "I think you're going to see a much more businesslike relationship from Martin just because of what he's been doing for most of his adult life -- and very successfully."

The two-day visit is focused on creating goodwill, but thorny economic issues will arise at the meeting between the leaders whose nations have the world's largest trading partnership. The United States and Canada do more than $1 billion in business a day; 85 percent of Canada's exports go to the United States.

Bush and Martin also are expected to talk about security on the U.S.-Canada border, Canada's involvement in the U.S. continental missile defense program, the war on terrorism, efforts to expand democracy to other corners of the world and the situation in Iraq.

Canada stood with France and Germany in deciding not to send troops to Iraq, but pledged $300 million for reconstruction and is helping train Iraqi police officers in Jordan. Martin is expected to offer to send Canadian observers to help oversee January elections in Iraq.

On trade issues, the two nations are fighting over a tariff the United States has placed on imports of pine, spruce and other easy-to-saw softwood lumber logged in Canada. On average, the United States adds an extra 27 cents to every $1 worth of softwood lumber imported from four Canadian provinces.

U.S. officials accuse Canada of subsidizing the lumber business, saying it does not charge companies enough to log on public lands. Canada is challenging the tariff through international trade organizations. The World Trade Organization has sided with Canada in a series of preliminary rulings, but the dispute is far from over.

Also, Canadian ranchers are upset about the U.S. ban on live Canadian cattle that was imposed after a lone case of mad cow disease was discovered in Alberta in May 2003. The United States is Canada's biggest beef customer, and the American ban has cost the Canadian cattle industry billions of dollars.

The United States and Canada are working jointly on environmental issues as well as health and safety standards and regulations that won't slow down trade and economic exchange, according to a senior administration official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

On Wednesday, Bush will travel to Halifax, Nova Scotia, to give a speech, thanking Halifax and other maritime provinces that received tens of thousands of Americans stranded after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. More than 200 jetliners heading for the United States were diverted to Canada after the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington. About 7,000 people on 44 planes went to Halifax.

Maybe our northern neighbors will give him a warmer reception.
Old 11-30-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by classicman2

Maybe our northern neighbors will give him a warmer reception.
He's lucky the price of tomatoes is so high at this time of the year.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.