Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Will GWB lift the Cuba embargo?

Old 11-28-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will GWB lift the Cuba embargo?

I remember hearing during the first term that lifting the embargo was really imminent. (This might have been prior to 9/11). I think it wasn't really brought to the front burner as it would have become an 'election year' issue.

Well, do you think the US will lift the embargo?

<font size=1>I really hate to go to Canada to buy my cigars</font>
Old 11-28-04, 01:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

GWB no?
Old 11-28-04, 01:32 PM

Absolutely not.

Nor should he.
Old 11-28-04, 01:33 PM

I thought they just increased the restrictions not too long ago. Maybe if Castro dies/loses power sometime in the next 4 years they will, until then though I wouldn't count on it.
Old 11-28-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Pharoh
Nor should he.
why not?
Old 11-28-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Will GWB lift the Cuba embargo?

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
I remember hearing during the first term that lifting the embargo was really imminent. (This might have been prior to 9/11). I think it wasn't really brought to the front burner as it would have become an 'election year' issue.

Well, do you think the US will lift the embargo?

Did Castro die and I missed it?
Old 11-28-04, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
why not?

I've posted extensively about it in the past here, so forgive me if I don't do so again. Basically though, the lifting of sanctions will not aid the Cuban people, and will only benefit the corrupt totalitarian regime of castro. I see no point in doing that.
Old 11-28-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

I believe it would take Congress to lift the embargo.

It should be done, but it won't be.

Relics of the cold war die very very slowly.
Old 11-28-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Trigger
why not?
Well obviously because it has been working splendidly! Castro is no longer in power, Cuba is no longer communist, and the Cuban people have seen the light and have all become prosperous capitalists! Oh wait...

This embargo is thouroughly idiotic and should have been lifted ages ago. Just like UN sanctions on Iraq, it has only served to hurt the Cuban people while having zero effect on the regime itself. People need to lay off the communist paranoia and get the silly notion that sanctions/embargos can magically turn dictators into Ghandi out of their head.
Old 11-28-04, 02:46 PM
Banned

It will have to be a Republican pres. to lift the embargo.
Old 11-28-04, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by eXcentris
Well obviously because it has been working splendidly! Castro is no longer in power, Cuba is no longer communist, and the Cuban people have seen the light and have all become prosperous capitalists! Oh wait...

This embargo is thouroughly idiotic and should have been lifted ages ago. Just like UN sanctions on Iraq, it has only served to hurt the Cuban people while having zero effect on the regime itself. People need to lay off the communist paranoia and get the silly notion that sanctions/embargos can magically turn dictators into Ghandi out of their head.

But then other people need to get off the silly belief that the lifting of the embargo will aid the Cuban people. It won't.
Old 11-28-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's an embargo? Maybe that's why no good roles are getting to him anymore.
Old 11-28-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But then other people need to get off the silly belief that the lifting of the embargo will aid the Cuban people. It won't.
Well if you say so... It's not rocket science it's simple economics. With sanctions/embargos applied under stringent rules, it makes it a lot easier for anyone in power to control the in/out flow of money and goods because there is no free market. Everything is tightly controlled. And we all know what happens under those conditions, see the "Saddam pocketing $$$ and building palaces while his people are suffering" argument which, I might add, is one of the favorite arguments of conservatives on this forum. As soon as you open markets and lessen the controls the people will find a way to have their share (even if it's black market economy)because it's simply impossible for a government to control everything when money/goods are free flowing.
Old 11-28-04, 03:00 PM

How the hell will the markets open? They won't. Nor will there be any significant influx of capital into Cuba. There is no reason for there to be.
Old 11-28-04, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by eXcentris
And we all know what happens under those conditions, see the "Saddam, UN, France, Russia, and China pocketing $$$ and building palaces while his people are suffering" argument which, I might add, is one of the favorite arguments of conservatives on this forum.
fixed!
Old 11-28-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How the hell will the markets open? They won't. Nor will there be any significant influx of capital into Cuba. There is no reason for there to be.
Markets won't open if you lift economic and trade barriers? Surely you jest? Cuba's economy has evolved considerably in the 90's. Castro's government has eased market restrictions and included measures to allow more foreign investment and self-employment. Tourism expanded and dollars were formally introduced into the economy essentially creating 2 (peso/dollar) parallel economies. The Cuban economy isn't nearly as tightly controlled as it used to be. This isn't 1970 anymore.

This embargo's goal, much like sanctions, is designed to bring a country to it's knees in the hope that people will somehow revolt and effect regime change. And then, prop up the new regime with massive aid packages to rebuild it's economy. After 40+ years this has worked brilliantly! Not only has this not worked, and again, only served to hurt the Cuban people, but it also helped the current regime to stay in power because this embargo has been used as a political tool (US = capitalists= embargo = bad!) to prop up the regime.

Like classicman pointed out, this embargo is nothing but an old Cold War relic based on some irrational fear of communism.
Old 11-28-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Is there any really good reason to maintain the embargo - other than satisfying a bunch of Cuban exiles living in Florida.

Sanctions and embargos very seldom do any good.

Quite often, they do considerable harm.
Old 11-28-04, 04:21 PM
X
Administrator

Is there any really good reason not to maintain the embargo?

Other than cigars, what's in it for us?
Old 11-28-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He'd be assasinated the next time he goes to Miami.

And I'm serious about that. Just check the Cuban refugees opinions on this.
Old 11-28-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

surely the Cubans could get by on the same level of income the average Chinese Nike stitcher makes.
i guess the only thing really worth exploiting in Cuba is tourism, which means there aren't a lot of Fortune 500 compaines lobbying to lift the embargo.
Old 11-28-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by X
Is there any really good reason not to maintain the embargo?

Other than cigars, what's in it for us?
$$$$
Old 11-28-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I guess our members who oppose lifting the embargo are like a bunch of the Cuban exiles - they long for the days of Bautista.

Is that right, Pharoh?

Old 11-28-04, 05:49 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by classicman2
$$$$
Please explain how trade with Cuba will net us $$$$.
Old 11-28-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got no love for Castro and his government, but I think I got to go with c-man and take the capitalism, free-trading route. Although it would be nice if we only traded with democratic countries.

If people believe that we should continue trade with China, they should be consistent and say the same for Cuba.

Another thing, what effects will lifting the embargo have on the hispanic vote?
Old 11-28-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not really in our economic interest to lift the embargo, but at least if it's lifted there's the possibility that capitalist reforms will continue as they have in recent years. A regime change is highly unlikely, but I think people only rebel when they have something to lose.

And anyway, we do business with China and they're a hell of a lot worse than Cuba.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.