Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

"foreign fighters" in Fallujah

Old 11-26-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"foreign fighters" in Fallujah

Strangely, throughout the Iraqi struggle, Western media have joined Western politicians in a reluctance to name the "foreign fighters" in Fallujah and the rest of Iraq as what they are - mostly Wahhabis, and mainly Saudis. Those who monitor Arab media know this to be true because when jihadists die in Fallujah, their photographs and biographies appeared in newspapers south of the Iraq-Saudi border. Western media "analysts" added to the fog of disinformation by alleging that the Shia rebels of Moqtada ul-Sadr would join the Wahhabis in Fallujah. But Islamic media around the world began to produce curious items: Moqtada ul-Sadr issued an order for the execution of any Wahhabis caught infiltrating the Shia holy cities; Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, in turn, supervised the beheading of an Iraqi Shia accused of spying for the Americans. Top Shia cleric Ayatollah Ali Sistani issued a fatwa saying that anybody who obstructed the U.S.-sponsored elections in Iraq is destined for eternal fire. And the 26 leading Wahhabi radicals in Saudi Arabia published an open letter to the Iraqis calling for stiffened resistance in Fallujah and forbidding any cooperation with the U.S. forces. Little of this was reported in or digested by American media, which stuck to their story: Americans bad, terrorists in Iraq good.

http://www.techcentralstation.com/111804H.html
Old 01-28-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No one cares about the actual people we're fighting over there?
Old 01-28-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, but this line

Little of this was reported in or digested by American media, which stuck to their story: Americans bad, terrorists in Iraq good.
shows me this isn't even worth discussing.
Old 01-28-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Iranians, Saudis, Syrians
they're all there
Old 01-28-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, duff, your pretty much all over the place with this, which is okay, because there certainly is a lot of ground to cover in the nature of the Iraqi social climate right now. But what are you trying to say? That the US govt. and media are somehow trying to shelter the Saudis from some embarassment, mainly due to oil ties? Who knows, maybe you have something there, maybe you don't.

Are you trying to say that we don't hear about Ayatollah Ali Sistani's backing of the election, and that this shows a lack of interest, or journalistic integrity? I'm sorry, but I have to inform you that I've heard about that often on CNN, and other outlets.

Are you saying that there is a beneficial side to Moqtada ul-Sadr here because he's just as willing to kill Wahhabis as he is the evil American occupying pig-dog infidels and anyone who helps them? I'll grant you this much, that I have not heard this bit reported, agree that it probably should be more widely covered, and appreciate the insight you've brought here.
Old 01-29-05, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm just saying that the media just looks the other way when asked the question of what nationality the people we are fighting over there, surely someone would like to know if those darned Saddam's guard is still left causing the chaos.
Old 01-29-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk God

The one problem we would/will have anywhere in the world we go and try to help people, is Wahhabis. However, a point could be made that it is better to have them fight us in a foreign land than over here. Who knows.
Old 01-29-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by duff beer
I'm just saying that the media just looks the other way when asked the question of what nationality the people we are fighting over there, surely someone would like to know if those darned Saddam's guard is still left causing the chaos.
Don't read the WaPo much, do ya?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

It doesn't make a difference to me what country the insurgent-terrorists are from - they all need to be stopped.

Iraqi clerics are basically saying, 'vote now, be stubborn later, otherwise just go to hell.'
Old 01-29-05, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope i don't live there and could care less.
Old 01-29-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No one cares about the actual people we're fighting over there?
Nope i don't live there and could care less.
So, errr, why'd you open the thread??
Old 01-29-05, 05:47 PM
Admin-Thanos

This is one of the more schizophrenic threads I've come across in a while.

Yes, there are foriegn fighters in Iraq, and Chechnya, and Afghanistan, and there were in Somalia, and there are in Bosnia, Pakistan, etc etc. That is the nature of the radical Islam we are fighting. Export, both physical export of fighters and religious dogma export are central to the movement.