Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

A Fantasy Second Term

Old 11-23-04, 01:48 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

A Fantasy Second Term

http://www.nationalreview.com/lowry/...0411230849.asp

How the MSM could tolerate W.

This is how the media would write the story of George Bush's second term if they had their way:

Washington, D.C. — President Bush announced that former Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle would be his new White House counsel, in a move interpreted as part of an effort to reach out to Democrats. The Bush team has abandoned its euphoria over a victory that had the president winning a higher percentage of the popular vote than the last three Democrats elected to the White House, and instead reconciled itself to the reality that in a polarized political environment, elevating partisan enemies and encouraging internal critics is the only way to govern effectively.

"We realize that merely winning 51 percent of the vote, a higher percentage than any Democrat in 40 years, doesn't cut it anymore," said a chastened White House official. "Sure, Clinton tried to implement his ideas after winning 43 percent and 49 percent of the vote in 1992 and 1996 respectively, but that was a different time. We know we have to find a place within our administration for people who hate us and our ideas. That's what democracy is all about."

Bush set the tone for the day by throwing his arm around Daschle and saying: "Tommy fought every day to obstruct my agenda and paid the ultimate political price in a crushing defeat. That is the sort of pluck and political courage that should be honored in Washington — and that's exactly what I intend to do."

Not everyone was happy with the appointment. A statement released by the Senate Democratic caucus said: "This appointment is empty symbolism from an administration with no mandate. It is the rankest hypocrisy to select Daschle while leaving Sen. Carl Levin (Mich.), who has done as much if not more to obstruct Bush's judges, out in the cold." The senior White House official sighed, "I guess we're just going to have to try harder."

The Daschle move comes the same week that Bush reached out to Secretary of State Colin Powell, begging him to stay on to continue, as one State Department insider familiar with the conversation put it, "to sabotage the Bush policy from within." A close friend of Powell's said: "It was extremely gratifying to Colin that the president finally gave his role in fomenting internal dissension the recognition it deserves. Colin interprets this as a mandate for four more years of self-serving backbiting."

Bush's maneuvers represent a departure from his typical political style. Bush usually presents voters with clear policy ideas and, should he win, implements them. "We all realized that was just too simplistic," a Bush official said. "Look, there's no getting around the fact that 55 million people voted for 'nuance' and incoherence. That's exactly what we're going to give them."

White House Chief of Staff Andy Card will stay on board, but under strict orders, say insiders, to leak once a day to Dana Milbank of the Washington Post or David Sanger of the New York Times. "There's such a thing as being too loyal," said a Bush loyalist, who spoke extensively about sensitive internal deliberations in keeping with a new leak-friendly policy. "That was Andy in the first term. We're trying to wean him of the idea that his job is about serving the president. If you don't see Dana or David with damaging inside stuff soon, you know we've still got work to do."

The Bush team's ambition in implementing its new approach was evident in rumors of a shake-up at the Republican National Committee. Soon-to-depart Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe is being considered for a post there. "The problem is, the Republicans have a slight majority in the country, which isn't very bipartisan if you think about," said a member of the Bush political team. "We've got to get some of the ineffectual guys from the other side working for us, so they can help tamp down our popularity. Terry would be perfect. We're considering Bob Shrum too — if we can get him to come down on his fee."

— Rich Lowry is author of Legacy: Paying the Price for the Clinton Years.
Old 11-23-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the 51% is being blown out of proportion. The "get out the anti-gay" vote brought out so many repubs that the number doesn't reflect shit. My 2 cents.
Old 11-23-04, 01:57 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I think the 51% is being blown out of proportion.
Old 11-23-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally posted by dick_grayson
I think the 51% is being blown out of proportion. The "get out the anti-gay" vote brought out so many repubs that the number doesn't reflect shit. My 2 cents.

Old 11-23-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by weargle
yeah, that's funny
Old 11-23-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Personally, I think the "get out the anti-gay" vote and the "moral" vote is blown out of proportion. The only time I ever heard anything about it was after the election from the same exit polls that screwed up the numbers wrt Kerry.
Old 11-23-04, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by kvrdave
Personally, I think the "get out the anti-gay" vote and the "moral" vote is blown out of proportion. The only time I ever heard anything about it was after the election from the same exit polls that screwed up the numbers wrt Kerry.
Precisely. Somehow, the idea that a sitting President might get re-elected during a time of low unemployment and steady (albeit slow) economic growth is a difficult concept for some to grasp. Instead, there has to be some hidden reason...
Old 11-23-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah, that's funny
As is your assertion that the yay/nay gay vote won the election for Bush or lost it for Kerry.

The way I see it, you can look at the results one of two ways: it was a vote of confidence in Bush or a vote of no-confidence in Kerry. Either way, the gay agenda didn't have long enough coattails for the Presidential election (although they were FABULOUSLY fashionable!!!!!)
Old 11-23-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 51% is a misrepresentation of the truth... Bush won by a very narrow margin. Sure, he had the most votes in history - but Kerry also had the most votes in history (second to Bush)... Looking at past elections, Clinton grabbed both wins by several percentage points and if not for Perot, who knows? To say that Bush's win was some sort of overwhelming landslide victory - a historical cataclysmic blow to the Democrats is just a silly exaggeration of the truth. It shouldn't even be such a satisfying victory since Kerry was a Senator from the north with a bad record and no personality and was more or less unelectable and he still ended up with just under half the votes. The Democrats are the ones who screwed this up for themselves.

By the way - gloating is very unattractive and is causes wrinkles

Last edited by Trigger; 11-23-04 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-23-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Trigger
By the way - pouting is very unattractive and is causes wrinkles
Old 11-23-04, 04:18 PM

OK, here's a little demonstration of how your theory doesn't seem to hold water. Examining the table below:

<font size = 1><b>Change in GWB Vote Share (by State) 2000-2004 by 'Anti-Gay' Ballot Initiative</font></b>
<table border = 1 width = 50%><tr> <td></td><td><div align="center">'Anti-Gay' Initiative</div></td><td><div align="center">No 'Anti-Gay' Initiative</div></td></tr><tr><td>N</td><td><div align="center">11</div></td><td><div align="center">40</div></td></tr><tr><td>% Change (Avg)<td><div align="center">2.55</div></td><td><div align="center">2.78</div></td></tr> <tr> <td>St Dev <td><div align="center">1.51</div></td><td><div align="center">2.22</div></td></tr></table>
We see that Bush actually did better (<i>vis a vis</i> his 2000 results) in states that didn't have anti-'Gay Marriage' ballot initiatives... In other words, the whole theory that the GOP used homophobia as a giant GOTV plan seems fallacious.
Old 11-23-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wendersfan
OK, here's a little demonstration of how your theory doesn't seem to hold water. Examining the table below:

<font size = 1><b>Change in GWB Vote Share (by State) 2000-2004 by 'Anti-Gay' Ballot Initiative</font></b>
<table border = 1 width = 50%><tr> <td></td><td><div align="center">'Anti-Gay' Initiative</div></td><td><div align="center">No 'Anti-Gay' Initiative</div></td></tr><tr><td>N</td><td><div align="center">11</div></td><td><div align="center">40</div></td></tr><tr><td>% Change (Avg)<td><div align="center">2.55</div></td><td><div align="center">2.78</div></td></tr> <tr> <td>St Dev <td><div align="center">1.51</div></td><td><div align="center">2.22</div></td></tr></table>
We see that Bush actually did better (<i>vis a vis</i> his 2000 results) in states that didn't have anti-'Gay Marriage' ballot initiatives... In other words, the whole theory that the GOP used homophobia as a giant GOTV plan seems fallacious.
whatever.
Old 11-23-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I said "gloating" but I guess if ignoring the facts to suit your agenda and misquoting people to make a stupid joke helps you sleep at night, more power to ya. I never really liked Kerry and knew he wasn't going to win anyway, so I don't see what makes you think I would be pouting about it. Besides - Bush hasn't pissed me off yet during his second term, so I have nothing to be upset about... yet.
Old 11-23-04, 04:22 PM

whatever.
So much for Kerry supporters trumpeting reason over faith.
Old 11-23-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So much for Kerry supporters trumpeting reason over faith.
read what Trigger has said. You're a lost cause and not worth wasting time over.
Old 11-23-04, 04:23 PM

read what Trigger has said. You're a lost cause and not worth wasting time over.
Why? I'm not gloating over anything. I didn't support Bush, or have you forgotten that?
Old 11-23-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

oh snap no he di'int
I wasn't talking to you, I was just showing that it goes both ways.
Old 11-23-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In that table you seem to be leaving out which states they were... wasn't the argument that the states which had the item on the ballot were closer to being swing states? I don't really know much about this argument, but it makes sense to me to think that the gay marriage thing being on the ballot would bring out anti-gay republicans who otherwise wouldn't vote and whether or not it was effective, I think that was possibly if not probably the intention.
Old 11-23-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by weargle
I was just showing that I go both ways.
Wow - never knew that about you.
Old 11-23-04, 04:32 PM

In that table you seem to be leaving out which states they were... wasn't the argument that the states which had the item on the ballot were closer to being swing states? I don't really know much about this argument, but it makes sense to me to think that the gay marriage thing being on the ballot would bring out anti-gay republicans who otherwise wouldn't vote and whether or not it was effective, I think that was possibly if not probably the intention.
The states with initiatives on the ballot were Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Utah. I don't think the 'swing state' theory works for most of them, although it could certainly be argued for my state, which is Ohio.
Old 11-23-04, 04:33 PM
Banned

Yeah, and the ABBers' reflected well for Kerry's 48%.
Old 11-23-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The states with initiatives on the ballot were Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Utah. I don't think the 'swing state' theory works for most of them, although it could certainly be argued for my state, which is Ohio.
nevertheless, we're talking 51% of the vote
Old 11-23-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Myster X
Yeah, and the ABBers' reflected well for Kerry's 48%.
Before you choke to death giggling uncontrollably, could you explain what you mean by this? ABBers reflected well for Kerry's 48%?
Old 11-23-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

whatever.
news media needs a boogie man every time a republican wins because they can't imagine anyone in their right mind voting for one. In 2000 they were ranting about the angry white male turning out in numbers to vote for bush. this time they made up a theory about homophobia when democrats in blue states don't even support gay marriage.
Old 11-23-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow - never knew that about you.
And people say that the fun left the forum

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.