Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

What's up with Hillary? She's talkin' "tough" about those Illegals.

Old 11-22-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What's up with Hillary? She's talkin' "tough" about those Illegals.

Is she kissin ass for '08? BTW, please don't disregard the story just because it didn't come from cnn.com.

Story here.

Sunday, Nov. 21, 2004 11:32 p.m. EST
Hillary Eyeing Immigration as Top 2008 Issue

More than any other leader of either political party, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton has been focusing on the issue of immigration reform and border security - taking hard-line positions that appeal to frustrated Republicans in a move that could guarantee her enough red state support to win the White House in 2008.

On Wednesday, as the media descended on Little Rock to cover the opening of her husband's presidential library, Sen. Clinton criticized the Bush administration for not using advanced technology to improve border security.

"I don't think that we have protected our borders or our ports or provided our first responders with the resources they need, so we can do more and we can do better," Clinton told Fox News Channel's Greta Van Susteren.
To enhance border security, Clinton explained, "there's technology now available. There are some advanced radar systems. There are biometric and other kinds of identification systems that we've been very slow to deploy and unwilling to spend money on."

Unnoticed by the big media, Sen. Clinton has been cultivating the immigration issue since last year.

In a February 2003 interview that went unreported except by NewsMax, Clinton told WABC Radio's John Gambling, "I am, you know, adamantly against illegal immigrants."

"Clearly, we have to make some tough decisions as a country," the top Democrat warned. "And one of them ought to be coming up with a much better entry and exit system so that if we're going to let people in for the work that otherwise would not be done, let's have a system that keeps track of them."

Taking a position far to the right of the Bush administration, Sen. Clinton said she would support "at least a visa ID, some kind of an entry and exit ID. And, you know, perhaps, although I'm not a big fan of it, we might have to move towards an ID system even for citizens."

The former first lady also railed against business owners who employ undocumented workers:

"People have to stop employing illegal immigrants," she told WABC. "I mean, come up to Westchester, go to Suffolk and Nassau counties, stand on the street corners in Brooklyn or the Bronx [and] you're going to see loads of people waiting to get picked up to go do yard work and construction work and domestic work."

And while President Bush continues to press for a guest-worker program - a move that pleases Mexican President Vicente Fox almost as much as it enrages most Republicans - Sen. Clinton has publicly chastised Canadian immigration officials for being too lax on border issues.

In December 2001, for instance, Clinton urged Canadian offiicals to "crack down on some of these false documents and illegals getting in."

She did?

A year later, she blasted Canada after reports indicated that al-Qaida terrorists had slipped into New York across the northern border.

Could a campaign that calls for a crackdown on illegal immigration be the political magic bullet that catapults the former first lady back into the White House?

One diehard Bush supporter, who says he can't stand the Clintons, told NewsMax, "If she ran on a platform of promising to do something about illegal immigration, hell, even I'd vote for her."

Oh man! American politics is NUTS!!!
Old 11-22-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh, yes. She'll spend the next four years as conservative as you can imagine.
Old 11-22-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

she needs to STFU

there is going to be another amnesty in the next four years and the hispanic population is growing. Especially those that are from south of texas, came here legally and are now voting. Democrats have been losing hispanic voters in the last few elections and clinton's remarks isn't going to help get them back
Old 11-22-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
while repubs are frustrated with bush's immigration and border security issues they aren't going to vote for billary
Old 11-22-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting play. Bush has rather disgustingly pandered to the illegal alien contingent so she's going for a soft spot. I think it is an interesting play. She'll win California even if she ran on a platform to send all Californians to internment camps. Something like this would help her in places like Ohio and PA, Indiana, ND and SD, etc... A very interesting play.
Old 11-22-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i doubt it will help her too much. my brother lives in the midwest and works with illegals in building houses. he says that they are good workers and it's not uncommon for them to earn more than minimum wage or the prevailing wage of the area.

a lot of people don't really hate illegals and realize that they do a lot of work that americans will never submit to
Old 11-22-04, 09:34 PM
Suspended

Here in Oregon, illegals are notorious for dealing heroine at construction sites...while working.
Old 11-22-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the Repubs can put out a solid candidate, CA's not a lock for Hil.

Okay, enough politics from me for 3 years.
Old 11-22-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny how she advocates a biometric ID card system for illegals even though they aren't ever likely to be subject to those kinds of checks (being that there aren't really a lot of Biometric ID stations in the middle of the Mexican desert). Instead they are most likely to hurt legal immigrants (which incidentally enough seems to be the minority most hurt by all the new immigration laws). What they need to do is put up a wall 20 feet high and stop busting the chops of everybody who actually has the presence of mind to APPLY for a visa at a US embassy. I've seen this firsthand; people getting rejected for not mentioning a past home address and things of that sort. It's easier to just come over the border illegally.
Old 11-22-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by al_bundy
i doubt it will help her too much. my brother lives in the midwest and works with illegals in building houses. he says that they are good workers and it's not uncommon for them to earn more than minimum wage or the prevailing wage of the area.

a lot of people don't really hate illegals and realize that they do a lot of work that americans will never submit to
Who cares if they are good workers. THEY ARE ILLEGAL.

I don't hate illegals. I hate illegal immigration. But maybe, living in SoCal helps me despise the policies that allow illegal immigration to flourish and continue to drop the quality of life in SoCal.
Old 11-22-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by huzefa
Funny how she advocates a biometric ID card system for illegals even though they aren't ever likely to be subject to those kinds of checks (being that there aren't really a lot of Biometric ID stations in the middle of the Mexican desert). Instead they are most likely to hurt legal immigrants (which incidentally enough seems to be the minority most hurt by all the new immigration laws). What they need to do is put up a wall 20 feet high and stop busting the chops of everybody who actually has the presence of mind to APPLY for a visa at a US embassy. I've seen this firsthand; people getting rejected for not mentioning a past home address and things of that sort. It's easier to just come over the border illegally.
I agree.
Old 11-22-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Goldblum
If the Repubs can put out a solid candidate, CA's not a lock for Hil.

Okay, enough politics from me for 3 years.
I would be willing to bet you any amount of money 1:1 that you are wrong.
Old 11-22-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by al_bundy

Good workers or not people hiring them should be nailed big time.
I guess the Midwest hasn't been overrun <i>yet</i> like the Southwestern states. They don't have hospitals closing down due to emergency rooms filled with Illegals who can't pay.
Old 11-22-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by huzefa

Mexico uses its military on its Southern borders to keep South Americans out......no one says a a thing. But for some reason Vicente Fox and Bush want unlimited Immigrant access to the Southern US border.
Old 11-22-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hillary should (and will not IMO) be nominated in 2008. As much as the left hates Bush, the right hates Hillary 10x more. It would be an awful idea.
Old 11-23-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mikehunt
while repubs are frustrated with bush's immigration and border security issues they aren't going to vote for billary
Not all Republicans are frustrated with Bush's immigration plan, and yes, Republicans would rather vote for Satan than HIllary - you can take that to the bank.

IMO, illegal immigrants have been a scapegoat for many problems, and government's overreaction has punished legal immigrants as huzefa noted.
Old 11-23-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ranger
Not all Republicans are frustrated with Bush's immigration plan, and yes, Republicans would rather vote for Satan than HIllary - you can take that to the bank.

IMO, illegal immigrants have been a scapegoat for many problems, and government's overreaction has punished legal immigrants as huzefa noted.
I won't deny that they are often the scapegoats, but spend some time in part of Southern California to see the effect illegal immigration has on the area. We have school districts filled with kids who can't speak English, hospitals closing down because illegals go to ER for routine medical care and can't pay for it/have no insurance. We have illegals without car insurance. Illegals use our services without paying income taxes. We're funding citizens of other countries.
Old 11-23-04, 12:41 AM
Banned

Illegal immigrants in San Francisco sell weed down by city hall and Civic Center.
Old 11-23-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Hillary should (and will not IMO) be nominated in 2008. As much as the left hates Bush, the right hates Hillary 10x more. It would be an awful idea.
You are talking about extremes on both sides. The people in the middle are who elects the president.
Old 11-23-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DodgingCars
I won't deny that they are often the scapegoats, but spend some time in part of Southern California to see the effect illegal immigration has on the area. We have school districts filled with kids who can't speak English, hospitals closing down because illegals go to ER for routine medical care and can't pay for it/have no insurance. We have illegals without car insurance. Illegals use our services without paying income taxes. We're funding citizens of other countries.
Oh, absolutely, the illegal immigrants take advantages of gov't services. But it seems the obvious solution is to force schools not to teach children of illegal immigrants. Let hospitals decide if they want to treat illegal immigrants and remind the hospitals that big brother ain't going to pick up their tab. I'm not sure what the solution is for uninsured illegal immigrants.

And as for the drug selling, move foward with legalization and cripple the illegal immigrant drug dealing underground business.
Old 11-23-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted for Bush for one reason, to facilitate democracy in the Middle East. In four years I think there's a chance of it getting a fairly decent toe-hold, and if so, my main concerns will be focussed back home again.

I'll say it right now - if there is relative stability and democracy in the Middle East and Shrillary has a solid plan to kick the illegals out (and the Republican challenger doesn't), she'll get my vote.
Old 11-23-04, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Is she kissin ass for '08? BTW, please don't disregard the story just because it didn't come from cnn.com.
This is a rhetorical question, right?

...the top Democrat warned.

How did this happen?!!

Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix
Oh, yes. She'll spend the next four years as conservative as you can imagine.
You got that right.

And expecting she has the NY vote locked up, how soon before we hear what a great southerner she is?
Old 11-23-04, 05:37 AM
Suspended

I'd love to see her in overalls, with a straw in her mouth, with a few horses.
Old 11-23-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Mexico uses its military on its Southern borders to keep South Americans out......no one says a a thing. But for some reason Vicente Fox and Bush want unlimited Immigrant access to the Southern US border.
It seems odd to be that Bush wants to bend over backwards for the Mexican president while flipping off the rest of the world on other issues. How does a MEXICAN president dictate immigration policy to an AMERICAN president?
Old 11-23-04, 08:00 AM
Suspended

Hint #1: His wife

But most of all, because the Hispanic vote in America is exponentially increasing over the Black vote in many states. This could be a new tactic by Republicans in general.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.