Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Our 3rd Political Party?

Old 11-19-04, 01:43 PM
Banned

Our 3rd Political Party?

With all the Republicans gloating and the Dems beating themselves over the head trying to figure out a new strategy, we still have 40% of the people who choose not to participate in the system.

This is an incredibly large number. And I think it speaks alot about the system we currently have. For 40% of the people, it's not even a factor in their daily lives. It's non-existant. It simply doesn't matter.

Take away the bread and circuses, and who knows what could happen.

Bush raises the debt ceiling ("another trillion here, another trillion there"), Greenspan gives a warning. I think it won't be too long before it might just matter.
Old 11-19-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

40% this year? I guess Washington State exceeds the norm then... I believe we had over 80% participation.
Old 11-19-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Our 3rd Political Party?

Ah, yes, this is the time when the Libertarian Party rise to power and potential to slash a huge amount of federal spending (actually, that might not be a bad thing).

Also, is it not true that this was one of the highest voting turn-outs? What more do you want? People dragged out to the streets and forced to vote?
Old 11-19-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk God

In a free country you have the right not to vote.

And the fact is, most people's daily lives don't change one iota based on who the President is.
Old 11-19-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally posted by kvrdave

And the fact is, most people's daily lives don't change one iota based on who the President is.
Agreed. Most people that don't vote don't care about politics, the president, etc. They just pay whatever taxes and go on with their lives and leave these problems to someone else to decide on. That's one of the freedoms of living in this country, which is why voting is a right but not mandatory.
Old 11-19-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk God

I criticize Bush & the Repubs over raising the debt ceiling, but only the procedure they used to do it.

The debt ceiling has to be raised. The Congress has no other choice.

BTW: When did that debt occur that requires the ceiling to be raised? Hasn't it already occurred - at least 93% or so of it?
Old 11-19-04, 02:32 PM

I had a Poli Sci professor as an undergrad who used to say that low voter turnout numbers were a comfort to him. He said that he'd start to worry quite seriously about the health of the nation if we had 75% turnout, since that would mean that a lot of people were very dissatisfied with the current state of affairs. While there are a number of European countries with turnout levels that high or higher, I think as far as the US was concerned he may have had a point.
Old 11-19-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by wendersfan
I had a Poli Sci professor as an undergrad who used to say that low voter turnout numbers were a comfort to him. He said that he'd start to worry quite seriously about the health of the nation if we had 75% turnout, since that would mean that a lot of people were very dissatisfied with the current state of affairs. While there are a number of European countries with turnout levels that high or higher, I think as far as the US was concerned he may have had a point.
many other nations make voting compulsory. I'm glad that in the US it isn't.

birrman54
Old 11-19-04, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Birrman54
many other nations make voting compulsory. I'm glad that in the US it isn't.
I'm aware of that, but even in countries which don't have compulsory voting, their participation rates are often much higher than ours. One long-standing democracy with low voter turnout is Switzerland, which, like the US, has a Federal system. I don't think this is coincidental.
Old 11-19-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
just because they didn't vote doesn't mean it was due to not supporting either major party
Old 11-20-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kvrdave

Agreed. These people aren't as concerned about politics as the rest of us maniacs.