Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Chirac: U.N. should decide on wars

Old 11-19-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chirac: U.N. should decide on wars

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe...two/index.html

LONDON, England (CNN) -- French President Jacques Chirac continued a fence-mending but at times edgy state visit to Britain Friday reaffirming that the U.N. should decide on foreign interventions.

"It's not for any given country to consider that a situation is open to stepping in and interfering," he told a question-and-answer session with students at Oxford University, according to the UK's Press Association.

"It's up to the international community to do so and particularly the U.N., which alone has the authority to interfere," he said in remarks apparently aimed at the United States.

The French president -- who backed a U.N. solution over Iraq -- added that if countries took such action of their own accord, it would "throw the door wide open to hosts of reason to wage wars under the guise of legitimate interference."

On Thursday, Chirac and British Prime Minister Tony Blair tried to put differences over the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq behind them, telling a joint news conference they both wanted a peaceful and stable future for the country.

CNN's European Editor Robin Oakley called it "glassy smiles and gloss over time."

Oakley said that Chirac and Blair were careful not to inflame their differences over Iraq -- and both made plain their eagerness to do anything they can to revive the Middle East peace process.

But later the French leader took on a harsher tone, warning Blair that his drive to spread democracy across the world alongside U.S. President George Bush could be confused with a new colonialism.

In a speech to the International Institute of Strategic Studies, PA reported, Chirac went on to set out his own distinctive view of international relations.

Chirac stressed the importance of dialogue between Europe and "the world's major poles" -- China, India, Brazil, Russia and various trading blocs.

"For although our memory is sometimes short, the peoples submitted to the West's domination in the past have not forgotten and are quick to see a resurgence of imperialism and colonialism in our actions."[/b]

On Friday in Oxford, Chirac again pointed to stressed the strength of links between Britain and France. He admitted, PA reported, that there had been "one or two differences" on Iraq, but said the countries have "never worked in closer co-operation" than in the fight against terrorism.

Chirac also focused on Europe's relationship with America. Speaking of the enduring nature of the transatlantic alliance, he said that the link is "strong and cannot be challenged by anybody."

"North America and Europe... I think are predestined to work together because they share history, the same background and values."

Friday morning Chirac laid a wreath at the tomb at Windsor Castle of King Edward VII, the British monarch in power when the Anglo-French "Entente Cordiale" was signed 100 years ago.

The wreath of flowers, depicting the red, white and blue of the French flag, marked the centenary of the agreement, signed on April 8, 1904.

The French leader and Madame Chirac stayed overnight at Windsor Castle where the hospitality was lavish.

There was a late-night performance of "Les Miserables" followed a black-tie dinner hosted by the queen.

Guests included Blair and leading figures in Anglo-French relations, arts and fashion. Among the 136 dining in the historic St. George's Hall were Arsenal Football Club manager Arsene Wenger and his wife, designer Nicole Farhi.

Singing star Michael Ball returned for the performance of "Les Miserables" which was staged in the castle's Waterloo Chamber -- recalling Britain's most famous victory over the French -- diplomatically renamed the "music room" for the night.

Queen Elizabeth II had intended to greet Chirac, but his motorcade was delayed and he arrived 20 minutes late.

During dinner, the queen -- dressed in a bright cream-colored dress -- proposed the toast: "To the people of France. Vive l'Entente Cordiale."

In a brief speech, she said the century-old alliance was "above all about the people of our two countries getting on with each other and working with a common purpose."

Chirac then rose to say in a five-minute speech in French that he was "deeply moved" by the queen's invitation.
Old 11-19-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

The weak believe that.
Old 11-19-04, 12:50 PM

Good stuff.
Old 11-19-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chirac... boy, he sucks.
Old 11-19-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Chirac: U.N. should surrender on wars

Old 11-19-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by classicman2
The weak believe that.
Old 11-19-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
did the UN authorize france's actions in the Ivory Coast? (I honestly don't know and am really asking and not being sarcastic)
Old 11-19-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The French president -- who lacked a U.N. solution over Iraq...
FIXED!

... added that if countries took such action of their own accord, it would "throw the door wide open to hosts of reason to wage wars under the guise of legitimate interference."
I think I've heard this one before, the "If he broke a rule, everybody's going to break it too and the world falls in anarchy because he set the precedent for it" argument.
Old 11-19-04, 02:06 PM

He's right, the UN should be the group to intervene, or authorize intervention. But that's not going to happen. The UN charter says that your internal affairs are noone elses business. Combine that with the Chinese reluctance to authorize any action, for fear it will set precedent, and you get nowhere.
Old 11-19-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

I would give it more weight if the UN was only comprised of countries with some form of a democracy or representative government. I guess I tend to think dictators look out for each other.
Old 11-19-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Global Test"
Old 11-19-04, 02:20 PM
Banned

still pissed off since they're not consider a "power"
Old 11-19-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by gcbrowni
He's right, the UN should be the group to intervene, or authorize intervention. But that's not going to happen. The UN charter says that your internal affairs are noone elses business. Combine that with the Chinese reluctance to authorize any action, for fear it will set precedent, and you get nowhere.
You wish that the U. N. decide what the U. S. foreign policy should be?
Old 11-19-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow Chirac has actually been right two days in a row, who would have thunk it.
Old 11-19-04, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by classicman2
You wish that the U. N. decide what the U. S. foreign policy should be?
Some people are uncomfortable living in a powerful country. I am reassured by it, and by the fact that my country is in a position to spread values I approve of.
Old 11-19-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by eXcentris
That comment isn't suprising coming from a guy that lives in France Part 2.
Old 11-19-04, 04:21 PM
Banned

for a country that is right and gets little or no respect from the world?
Old 11-19-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"It's up to the international community to do so and particularly the U.N., which alone has the authority to interfere,"

If by interfere you mean the corruption and scandal with Oil For Food, I guess he has a point.
Old 11-19-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Myster X

You realize that your comment equally applies to the US now don't you.

Last edited by eXcentris; 11-19-04 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-19-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a suggestion. Since it's rather obvious that none of these "French/Chirac" threads are posted for the sake of promoting intelligent debate and discussion, I propose making a sticky thread entitled: "Official "The French Suck" bashing thread".

You know just to save everybody some time.
Old 11-19-04, 04:37 PM
Banned

You realize that your comment equally applies to the US now don't you.

You and a few handful others seem to think the US is always wrong and France is on target. Maybe we should ask Cameroon to decide for us on the next upcoming policy.

Does Liberia rings a bell to the French?
Old 11-19-04, 04:41 PM

I have a suggestion. Since it's rather obvious that none of these "French/Chirac" threads are posted for the sake of promoting intelligent debate and discussion, I propose making a sticky thread entitled: "Official "The French Suck" bashing thread".

You know just to save everybody some time.
I frequently post in various threads where the focus is criticism of the French government and/or their foreign policy. Meanwhile there are many things about France and French culture that I love.
Old 11-19-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Myster X
You and a few handful others seem to think the US is always wrong and France is on target. Maybe we should ask Cameroon to decide for us on the next upcoming policy.
...don't forget the "Arafat Humanitarian Memorial".
Old 11-19-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by wendersfan
I frequently post in various threads where the focus is criticism of the French government and/or their foreign policy. Meanwhile there are many things about France and French culture that I love.
Which would make you an exception. I have no problem with criticism when it is supported by a minimum of understanding and logical arguments.
Old 11-19-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Myster X
You and a few handful others seem to think the US is always wrong and France is on target.
See my reply to wendersfan. It just seems to me that those who constantly bitched and moaned about the silliness of the ABB crowd have absolutely no problem expressing their own ABF "feelings".

Last edited by eXcentris; 11-19-04 at 04:53 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.