Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

This is not the Bush we voted for (US pushes for shark fin protection)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 11-18-04, 06:24 PM

[continue sarcasm from the title]Bush should be serving shark fin soup at state dinners, not pushing to protect them[/sarcasm]

Heard about this on NPR on the way home and thought people might be interested (maybe not). Personally I'm not a big seafood person in the first place but the practice of finning sounds like it should be banned. I'm all for hunting/fishing/etc but if you do it atleast find a use for everything you take (and something better than the [] edit below ).

http://www.picayuneitem.com/articles...s/20sharks.txt
U.S. exhorts other nations to protect overfished shark species

Wednesday, November 17, 2004 2:13 PM CST

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - The United States on Monday proposed broad international measures to curb the slaughter of sharks in the Atlantic Ocean and encourage the study and preservation of threatened shark populations throughout the world.

The proposals were made at the annual meeting of the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas, or ICCAT, which also covers conservation of other large fish. This is the first time the United States has been host of the session.

"I think sharks have been abused over the last 10 years," said William Hogarth, the head of the National Marine Fisheries Service. "We haven't managed sharks in a very sustainable manner."

The U.S. proposals include a ban on the practice known as shark finning, reduction of the number of fishing vessels that hunt sharks, collection of more data on shark populations and development of fishing nets that would not harm sharks.

"This proposal is reflecting a recognition that globally sharks are in trouble," said David Helvarg, president of the ocean advocacy group Blue Frontier Campaign. He added, "It may be too little too late."

According to the United Nations, more than 100 million sharks are killed each year. A study last year by Dalhousie University marine scientists estimated that 90 percent of the world's large fish have disappeared since 1950. Sharks are especially threatened by overfishing because they are so slow to reproduce and reach maturity.

There are few international restrictions on shark fishing and trade. The United States has already taken steps to stop shark finning in U.S. water and to prevent fishermen from selling fins at U.S. ports unless they have the whole carcass on board. The ban went into effect in 1993 in the Atlantic and in the Pacific Ocean in 2002.

Shark finning is the act of slicing off a shark's fin and throwing the carcass overboard, leaving room for more fins. [Something mentioned in the NPR piece is that the sharks are often still alive when they are dumped back in and the blood attracts more sharks who are then caught and finned as well ] Shark fins are a delicacy in Asian countries and command high prices.

The demand for shark fins has shot up in the past decade, mostly fueled by demand in Asia where shark fin soup sells for more than $100 in Singapore, according to WildAid, an environmental group that has called for an end to shark finning.
The more time passes the more <a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/">Harry Harrison</a> looks like a prophet

Last edited by nemein; 11-18-04 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Good for him. Finning is an absolutely terrible practice.
Old 11-18-04, 06:32 PM
X
Administrator

Well that will take care of this...

but where's the outrage over this?

Old 11-18-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 11-18-04, 07:54 PM
Admin-Thanos

NPR. Consider the source.

Old 11-19-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
If those cans said "Shark fin soup with SHARK meat", I wouldn't be real upset - i.e. they would use the whole shark.

But to just fin a shark and discard the rest is both a waste and a pain - the "economics" of having room for more fins (higher value per pound) doesn't wash for me.