Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Blair, Chirac: We want stable Iraq

Old 11-18-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blair, Chirac: We want stable Iraq

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe...rac/index.html

Some interesting stuff here, but it was the last two paragraphs that really caught my attention.

Bolded for the impared

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Setting aside their differences over the war, French President Jacques Chirac and British Prime Minister Tony Blair have told a joint news conference they both want a peaceful and stable Iraq.

"We should look forward not back -- to a unified, democratic and peaceful Iraq," Chirac declared Thursday. "There is no disagreement here."

Chirac is on a two-day state visit to Britain, and the two leaders answered questions after talks in Downing Street.

The French president also used the occasion to voice his "depth of horror" at the reported murder of abducted aid worker Margaret Hassan, a citizen of Britain and Iraq.

Both leaders stressed their common aims rather than their differences over Iraq.

"On the question of Iraq, I think the differences at the time of the conflict were well known," Blair told reporters.

"But both of us are now working under U.N. resolution 1546, both of us want to see a stable and democratic Iraq, and both of us will do what we can to ensure that that happens.

"It is just worth pointing out ... that on the questions of ... Afghanistan, on the Balkans, on the question of Africa, on the question of climate change, we are working very closely together.

"On the question of European defense, both on the defense level and the industrial level, we are working closely together.

"And it is worth just pointing out that our armed forces have been engaged in cooperation together in many different parts of the world."

Chirac also talked of "collaboration, cooperation and a common vision" over European defense policy.

And he said they had agreed on the need for action on economic development in Africa and on climate change.

Both men also pledged to work together to reinvigorate the Middle East peace process.

"We believe it is important that the elections in the Palestinian state go ahead, that we do everything we possibly can to revitalize and reinvigorate the Middle East peace process," Blair said.

"We share the same analysis and the same goals," Chirac said. "The UK and France consider there is a window of opportunity that we could have a more stable order, and we should do everything we can to achieve that

On the eve of his visit to London, Chirac reignited the row over the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, suggesting the U.S. and Britain had made the world a more dangerous place.

"I am not at all sure that one can say the world is safer," Chirac said in a BBC interview. "There is no doubt that there has been an increase in terrorism." (Full story)

Expanding on that at the news conference, Chirac said: "If you observe the way things are developing in the world in terms of security and the expansion of terrorism -- not just in the Middle East but throughout the world -- if you look at all that, you cannot say -- and be credible -- that the situation has significantly improved."

Chirac's comments had set an edgy tone to his visit, which marks the 100th anniversary of the "Entente Cordiale" -- an agreement in 1904 marking the end of colonial rivalry between France and Britain.

CNN European Political Editor Robin Oakley said there was much accent on the positive at the news conference, but that it was "all beads and not much string -- not a lot of threading it together."

He said what the two men omitted also was significant. Blair said both Britain and France were committed to producing a secure and democratic Iraq. But he didn't say France was contributing nothing to the force of NATO trainers sent to help the Iraq army.

And when asked about Blair's theory of being being a bridge to better relations between Europe and the U.S., Chirac didn't repeat his criticisms of earlier in the week when he suggested Blair wasn't winning any concessions from Washington, Oakley noted.

Instead, Chirac used warmer words, saying: "The fact that the UK can be a friendly partner between the European Union and the United States is advantageous for Europe."

The intense French-British rivalry about the future direction of the European Union still remains, but Chirac went out of his way to say he would support Blair next year when he takes the chair of the G8 countries, Oakley said.

Before his talks with Blair, Chirac inspected a guard of honor Thursday morning. In the evening, he was to be the guest of Queen Elizabeth II at Windsor Castle, where "Les Miserables," a hit musical about 19th century France, was to be staged.

The venue, the Waterloo Chamber, has been renamed the Music Room for the night in an effort to avoid triumphalism over the 1815 defeat of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Old 11-18-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Chirac just wants to try and profit from Iraq, he doesn't care anything else about it. I can't wait until his term is up and he's promptly placed in jail.
Old 11-18-04, 01:19 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally posted by General Zod
Chirac just wants to try and profit from Iraq, he doesn't care anything else about it. I can't wait until his term is up and he's promptly placed in jail.
Vive la France!

The love for the French is palpable here.
Old 11-18-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by VinVega
Vive la France!

The love for the French is palpable here.
Since they've stepped up the idea that they want to be more of a rival and less of an ally to the US, they'll get no love.
Old 11-18-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

My mom, who is a travel agent, said she used to book lots of people on trips to France for vacations.. However, she said that over the last few years when people come in and say they want to go on a vacation and my mom asks them where, she said that almost everyone says "Anywhere but France". I love that story.
Old 11-18-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Chirac: We want stable Iraq.
Bush: I'm gonna have to veto that.
Old 11-18-04, 02:07 PM
Banned

once a loser still a loser....
Old 11-18-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...almost as much as we want to obstruct the US and try to remain relevant in the 21st century," continued Chirac.
Old 11-18-04, 03:43 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I heard on the radio that exactly 308 Americans visited France last year and all of them were passing through and not staying.
Old 11-18-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Save Ferris
I heard on the radio that exactly 308 Americans visited France last year and all of them were passing through and not staying.
I find that number hard to believe. A couple dozen high school French clubs would equal that number.

I did remember hearing something about the majority of visitors to France (from anywhere) are just heading somewhere else.
Old 11-18-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Visitor tallies plunged across Europe after the Sept. 11 terror attacks on the United States. Then came the SARS outbreak in Asia, the invasion of Iraq and the betrayal felt by some Americans toward the French over the war, and 2003 proved a dismal year for Paris tourism.

Now the Yanks are back - along with many others.

In its latest report, Paris' tourism office said 21 percent more Germans, 18 percent more Japanese and 13 percent more Americans checked into the city's hotels in the first five months of 2004 compared to a year ago.

But free-spending Americans, typically the most represented nationality among visitors in Paris, are the special target of promoters. The French capital has held events tied to the Fourth of July holiday the last two years trying to attract American tourists.

Despite the upswing in American visitors, their numbers are still below those of three years ago. According to tourism officials, the number of American tourists in France slumped 31 percent from 3.5 million in 2001 to 2.4 million last year.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in636870.shtml
Old 11-18-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Um... yeah, that's not even remotely close or true.

Maybe per day? Still way off. Your radio is busted, dude.
Old 11-18-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
<s>Drudge</s> cbsnews
Old 11-18-04, 04:40 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

oops yea maybe it was per day lol

it *was* fox news though!
Old 11-18-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, going by dork's numbers... it was over 6,000 per day, but who's counting.
Old 11-18-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by weargle
<s>Drudge</s> <s>cbsnews</s> AP
<s>fixe</s> réparé
Old 11-18-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bush is a retard, he didn't give a shit about the Iraqis, he was only in it for the oil.

Aren't those silly generalizations and stereotypes fun!

Old 11-18-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Except mine is right and yours is wrong

I wasn't kidding about Chirac getting thrown in jail. Right now he's protected because of his status, but as soon as he isn't leader anymore (when does he term out? 2 years?) he will be easily indicted. Watch. Bookmark this thread
Old 11-20-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

but as soon as he isn't leader anymore (when does he term out? 2 years?) he will be easily indicted.
For what?
Old 11-21-04, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I want a stable Chirac too...

Old 11-21-04, 04:20 AM
Banned

Bullshit. More than that still visit in a month.
Old 11-21-04, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

America: Eventually Everyone Comes Back--even the ones we don't want to come back.