Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Got a knock on my door this evening...

Old 11-17-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Got a knock on my door this evening...

So, I'm on the phone with a friend, and this woman knocks on my door. Friendship bead necklace, ratty hair, etc. She's holding a notebook and is scribbling down information.

Friendship Bead Necklace Lady knocking compulsively on door: "Hello? Do you want to keep our forests healthy and prevent them from being ruined by zealots who want nothing more than to destroy Oregon's habitat?"

DVD Polizei: "Ummm, errrr---I'm on the phone. No thanks. I actually donated to a local homeless shelter and I don't have anything."

Friendship Bead Necklace Lady: "Can I come back later?"

DVD Polizei: "No but thanks for asking."

Friendship Bead Necklace Lady looking at DVD Polizei with rapidly-blinking pupppy eyes: "Why don't you want to save our old growth from destruction?"

DVD Polizei tells friend to hold on a moment, : "Because I'm an evil man, who voted for another evil man."

Friendship Bead Necklace Lady: "Whahhhh?"

DVD Polizei: "Bye."

----

Who are the zealots, I have to ask.
Old 11-17-04, 10:58 PM

BUT DON'T YOU REALIZE IT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE IN THE WORLD?!?!?

Thank goodness for fanatics, or people like me would actually have to care about things...
Old 11-18-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk God

"Cows are causing the destuction of of the forests for grazing land, and contribute to global warming because of the methane they release, and what are you doing about it?"

"I'm eating cows.....but I'm only one man!"
Old 11-18-04, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
should have gotten a chain saw and reved it up a few times
Old 11-18-04, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I only had a knife. I guess I could have ran out into the yard, and started poking the tree with it. Hehe.
Old 11-18-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wendersfan
BUT DON'T YOU REALIZE IT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE IN THE WORLD?!?!?
No. That would be making abortions and gay marriages illegal
Old 11-18-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-18-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

zealots who want nothing more than to destroy Oregon's habitat
Yes, I know politicians are just sitting in their offices saying "Come on, people! We've been fighting this fight for years and STILL there are MILLIONS of trees left standing. THINK people... we need a way to destroy this habitat before it's too late!"
Old 11-18-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thor,
You just need to make it a Homeland Security issue.
Get those evil trees before they get us; them and their evil chemical, smog causing, emissions.
Old 11-18-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In these situations I find a simple "we've got the plague" with a door slam works wonders.
Old 11-18-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should have stripped down and asked her for help with your wood problem.
Old 11-18-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by OldDude
Get those evil trees before they get us
Yeah! Particularly those that ooze sap and drop fucking leaves all over the damn place!!!!
Old 11-20-04, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shout as if to somebody in the background... "It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again. "
Old 11-20-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What do you plan to do about the lingering smell of patchouli oil around your doorway?
Old 11-20-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Should of asked her to show her tits to get you to sign.

Who will the cops believe? A fine upstanding citizen like you or some ratty haired tree hugging skank?
Old 11-20-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Got a knock on my door this evening...

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
So, I'm on the phone with a friend, and this woman knocks on my door. Friendship bead necklace, ratty hair, etc. She's holding a notebook and is scribbling down information.

Friendship Bead Necklace Lady knocking compulsively on door: "Hello? Do you want to keep our forests healthy and prevent them from being ruined by zealots who want nothing more than to destroy Oregon's habitat?"

DVD Polizei: "Ummm, errrr---I'm on the phone. No thanks. I actually donated to a local homeless shelter and I don't have anything."

Friendship Bead Necklace Lady looking at DVD Polizei with rapidly-blinking pupppy eyes: "Why don't you want to save our old growth from destruction?"

DVD Polizei tells friend to hold on a moment, : "Because I'm an evil man, who voted for another evil man."

Friendship Bead Necklace Lady: "Whahhhh?"

DVD Polizei: "Bye."
Old 11-21-04, 04:46 AM

Maybe I've read this thread at a bad time. I'm easily irritable, and every one of you deserve my admonition.

Here's a person, regardless of her political persuasion, and regardless of her stance on issues, trying to elicite some support, and all (yes, ALL!!) of you show so much maturity that the best you can do is insult this person with grade school namecalling and unsubstantiated accusations. When you don't have any actual rebuttal, you have to resort to sophomorish antics...

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Should of asked her to show her tits to get you to sign.

Who will the cops believe? A fine upstanding citizen like you or some ratty haired tree hugging skank?
...which you demonstrate perfectly.

Can't argue the message, so why not belittle the messenger...

Last edited by DarkElf; 11-21-04 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-21-04, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by DarkElf
Maybe I've read this thread at a bad time. I'm easily irritable, and every one of you deserve my admonition.

Here's a person, regardless of her political persuasion, and regardless of her stance on issues, trying to elicite some support, and all (yes, ALL!!) of you show so much maturity that the best you can do is insult this person with grade school namecalling and unsubstantiated accusations. When you don't have any actual rebuttal, you have to resort to sophomorish antics...

...which you demonstrate perfectly.

Can't argue the message, so why not belittle the messenger...
With ALL due respect...come off of your high horse and yes, I think you're having a bad day.

BTW, what message is there to "argue"? He didn't post this to have a discussion of what to do about the environment. You mean to tell me every post in this POLITICS forum has to be dead-on serious? I think some fun is seriously needed in this forum after the MEAN ASSED HATEFUL stretch we all had during the elections.
I can't speak for others here but I was just joking and anyone who read differently or put more into my post either hasn't been around dvdtalk's forums for every long or doesn't see all the other stuff that goes on here. I was just having a little "cheeky" fun at the expense of some girl who will never know and is no worse off. I guess people on "the other side" of the issue would never stoop so low..... right? Riiiiiight.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-21-04 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-21-04, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

DarkElf,

Actually, if it was a Pro-Lifer on my doorstep, I would have posted the interaction as well.

This woman WAS NOT, repeat, WAS NOT, trying to innocently gain some monetary support. She was forcing her opinion down my throat, at my doorstep, questioning why a man like me, in a state who voted for Kerry, would say "NO THANKS" to her demands.

Like I said, if it was a Pro-Lifer, wanting money and telling me I was killing innocent babies, I'd post the interaction here as well.

I don't think a rebuttal is necessary on any kind of intellectual level. She didn't come across that way, and I'm pretty nice to people coming to my door. I think the incident proves an important point, politically as well. Here we have one party accusing the other of forcing religious beliefs on others, when that same party, who is accusing a certain other party, is forcing beliefs which could easily be paralleled with a religious group as well.

Bottom line, I just don't like people knocking on my freakin' door, and virtually demanding money from me because they are in the right, and attempting to stand up to me, when I decline the solicitation.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-21-04 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-21-04, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Got a knock on my door this evening...

Originally posted by DVD Polizei

DVD Polizei tells friend to hold on a moment, : "Because I saw what happened in Southern California. The place went up like a torch because they didn't properly cull the forest of overgrowth. Unless you want to be responsible for death and destruction you would be in favor of proper forest management and use terms like 'being ruined by zealots'. I do not have time to talk to uninformed political solicitors. Please leave NOW, as I have already said, you are interrupting a phone conversation."

Friendship Bead Necklace Lady: SPEECHLESS, jaw dropped, and looks like she will pass out... slowly moves away from the door....

----

Who are the zealots, I have to ask.

Last edited by matchpenalty; 11-21-04 at 06:06 AM.