Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Ramadan: 14yr old boy dies after 85 lashes for breaking the fast

Old 11-17-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mopower
You forgot to post all the links to christians in this country kidnapping people, cutting their heads off. Raping women who don't cover their faces. Killing children because the child was raped. Oh wait, there aren't enough to validate your argument.
Hmmm. Have you ever known a Muslim - ever? Do they all do these things? Do all Christians watch their children die when they get sick? Of course not.

Religions are full of wacky people. Even Christians.
Old 11-17-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Myster X
I take it as a fact that you're no fan of John Travolta, Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Chic Corea, Ann Archer, and other celebrity $cientologists. Make sure you don't own any of the movies either.
Huh? I wouldn't own any films then because I despise all organized religion equally.
Old 11-17-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by CRM114
Hmmm. Have you ever known a Muslim - ever? Do they all do these things? Do all Christians watch their children die when they get sick? Of course not.

Religions are full of wacky people. Even Christians.
And the agnostics & atheists amongst us have their share of wacky people. If you doubt that, take a gander at this forum for awhile.
Old 11-17-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by classicman2
And the agnostics & atheists amongst us have their share of wacky people. If you doubt that, take a gander at this forum for awhile.
But what we don't do EVER is kill our children because they broke their fast or got sick.
Old 11-17-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by CRM114
But what we don't do EVER is kill our children because they broke their fast or got sick.
Your wackiness is demonstrated in other ways.
Old 11-17-04, 02:20 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

If you compare the heart of 'christian' and 'muslim' cultures, at this point in history they are radically different with quality of life and human rights issues.
Old 11-17-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Your wackiness is demonstrated in other ways.
The usual retort of classicman when he has no point. A personal attack and then a disappearance.

First time I saw you since you were called out in the Ashcroft thread, classicman. Just as in the Kosovo threads, when you are called out as wrong, you disappear.
Old 11-17-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Save Ferris
If you compare the heart of 'christian' and 'muslim' cultures, at this point in history they are radically different with quality of life and human rights issues.

And the history that brought them to this point tells you what?
Old 11-17-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

I asked a simple question in the Ashcroft thread.

I invite you again to look at the post.

As far as Kosovo, you simply didn't know what you were talking about.
Old 11-17-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I asked a simple question in the Ashcroft thread.

I invite you again to look at the post.

As far as Kosovo, you simply didn't know what you were talking about.
You should look at the series of posts. You and X talked out of your asses and then pat each other on the back. And then disappeared.

As for Kosovo, I presented facts and figures. But I suppose its a leftist media that compiled those statistcs.
Old 11-17-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Myster X
I take it as a fact that you're no fan of John Travolta, Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Chic Corea, Ann Archer, and other celebrity $cientologists. Make sure you don't own any of the movies either.
I think you might be confusing Scientologists with Christian Scientists, not that it means your statement would make any more sense.
Old 11-17-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the problem is more with radicals than with the religion.
Old 11-17-04, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Roto
I think you might be confusing Scientologists with Christian Scientists, not that it means your statement would make any more sense.
It's a hell lot more sense than the topic of this thread.
Old 11-17-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by darkessenz
Also wanted to add that I agree most of the time it is the radicals who end up doing the worst, while the moderates end up being silent. Its true for most ideologies...
Which was basically my original point. The Christians in this country are so quick to point out Muslims as some second-rate religion without looking at the travesty their own religion has been over the course of the past millenia.

I merely highlighted one contemporary Christian act of barbarism. You could also add the Catholic priests anally abusing small boys too.

Last edited by CRM114; 11-17-04 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-17-04, 05:24 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

forget the past. Christianity for the most part has evolved past the crusades. Muslim culture is still right smack dab in the middle of it as if time stood still.
Old 11-17-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For all of you who think Christianity is just as bad, please move to Iran, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, or any country which is over 90% Muslim, and then get back with us on DVD Talk a year from now, and explain to us how we are so wrong to live in a country, dominated by Christians.
Old 11-17-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
For all of you who think Christianity is just as bad, please move to Iran, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, or any country which is over 90% Muslim, and then get back with us on DVD Talk a year from now, and explain to us how we are so wrong to live in a country, dominated by Christians.
The problem in that situation is not the religion. It's the culture and the people interpreting the religion. Hell, Christianity condones the subjugation of women, but our culture is able to realize that is wrong.
Old 11-17-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Save Ferris
forget the past. Christianity for the most part has evolved past the crusades. Muslim culture is still right smack dab in the middle of it as if time stood still.
christianity is almost 670 years older than islam.

most muslim nations were colonized, and have only recently become independent (60-70 years).

comparing these young nations with countries that have had independence for centuries is foolish.

how long did it take america to accept blacks as equal citizens? if they had dvdtalk back then, i'm sure some american (R) posters would be defending that as a great virtue of this great nation that loves freedom.

Staying on topic, I was never aware that it was a crime to break the fast. Sure, it can fall under the sin category (depending on why it was broken). I've never heard of anyone ever being punished for this, and i've lived in Saudi Arabia.

also, are there anymore news sites covering this. the site isn't really unbiased.

Last edited by nomaan; 11-17-04 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-17-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Where do you think and how do you think Middle Eastern culture developed this behavior? It didn't just sprout up overnight.

The only answer I have, is Mohammed and Allah's teachings, because thousands of years ago, religion was the culture.

Is it illogical to say culture is related to its religious beliefs? I don't think so. Joseph Campbell would have some interesting thoughts on this, too. They didn't get so sadistic and primitive just by living in a warm climate. They had help. Thumbs up to Allah and Mohammed.

I will agree, the Holy Bible has its stories of a tempermental God, but have you read the Qu'ran in comparison to the Holy Bible. Big differences. The Qu'ran is riddled with Jihad and intolerance of others. The proof is simply by looking at the current behavior and cultures. Christian culture emulates what is written. Qu'ranic behavior speaks for itself too. I just think its fairly obvious the two cultures have been spawned from two very different ideas on humanity and compassion.

Anyway, I got off-track...

nomaan,

It's hard to find any websites on this because well, it's Iran.

If I see another reference, I'll post it.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-17-04 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-17-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tehran, Oct. 16 - A 13-year-old schoolgirl has been sentenced to stoning in the town of Marivan (northwestern Iran). Zhila Izadi was condemned to death by stoning after giving birth to a child in prison 2 weeks ago.

She was accused of committing ‘moral sin’ and giving birth to an ‘unholy child’. Her brother a 15-year-old boy who was also accused and is currently in prison in Tehran was given a sentence of 150 lashes, in accordance with Islamic laws.
http://activistchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4319

Like I said in my first post, you can find some messed-up reports at the homepage of the link.

It's no secret that a majority of Muslim countries have some strict laws and punishments. Iran probably is the worst one. I don't know how bad the other ones are though, I'd think countries like Turkey and Malaysia were fairly civilized regarding that category.
Old 11-17-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Where do you think and how do you think Middle Eastern culture developed this behavior? It didn't just sprout up overnight.

The only answer I have, is Mohammed and Allah's teachings, because thousands of years ago, religion was the culture.

Is it illogical to say culture is related to its religious beliefs? I don't think so. Joseph Campbell would have some interesting thoughts on this, too. They didn't get so sadistic and primitive just by living in a warm climate. They had help. Thumbs up to Allah and Mohammed.

I will agree, the Holy Bible has its stories of a tempermental God, but have you read the Qu'ran in comparison to the Holy Bible. Big differences. The Qu'ran is riddled with Jihad and intolerance of others. The proof is simply by looking at the current behavior and cultures. Christian culture emulates what is written. Qu'ranic behavior speaks for itself too. I just think its fairly obvious the two cultures have been spawned from two very different ideas on humanity and compassion.

Anyway, I got off-track...

nomaan,

It's hard to find any websites on this because well, it's Iran.

If I see another reference, I'll post it.

I don't think Iranis are neither Arab nor are considered middle eastern

Going by your logic, why are priests molesting little boys? Is it christianity thats teaching them to do this? or is it the current culture in the US or the western world? Do you see any muslims blaming Jesus for this? I don't like bashing religion or religious figures to make mine look better.

culture and religion always influence each other. by saying islam is responsible for the way arabs are acting and has taken over arab culture, i suggest you try reading about arab culture before islam.

and stop lumping everyone in one tight knit group.

""They didn't get so sadistic and primitive just by living in a warm climate. They had help. Thumbs up to Allah and Mohammed""

as for the bible/quran comparision, we don't have edits/revision in our holy book to make it good for mass consumption.
Old 11-17-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by nomaan
christianity is almost 670 years older than islam.

most muslim nations were colonized, and have only recently become independent (60-70 years).

comparing these young nations with countries that have had independence for centuries is foolish.

how long did it take america to accept blacks as equal citizens? if they had dvdtalk back then, i'm sure some american (R) posters would be defending that as a great virtue of this great nation that loves freedom.

Staying on topic, I was never aware that it was a crime to break the fast. Sure, it can fall under the sin category (depending on why it was broken). I've never heard of anyone ever being punished for this, and i've lived in Saudi Arabia.

also, are there anymore news sites covering this. the site isn't really unbiased.
Excellent post nomaan. Its what I was referencing when I mentioned looking at the history of the two cultures up until this point.

Christianity has matured with a civilized society. Muslims were under Christian authority just decades ago.
Old 11-17-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, some posters will obfuscate ANY thread into a Christian bash fest.

It tells you something about the posters though.
Old 11-17-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by island007
Wow, some posters will obfuscate ANY thread into a Christian bash fest.

It tells you something about the posters though.
if you're refering to my post, i don't see anyplace where i bashed christianity. if you're not talking about me, just ignore this post
Old 11-17-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
do not question the RoP

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.