Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Bob Jones III to Bush - Pay Up

Old 11-15-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bob Jones III to Bush - Pay Up

Talk about nutty religious freaks. Here is good 'ol Bob Jones letter to George W. Bush congratulating him on his re-election. (Bob Jones of bob Jones University. The place where Bush campaigned under protest in 2000. The place where interracial dating was banned. You get the picture.)

In your re-election, God has graciously granted America -- though she doesn't deserve it -- a reprieve from the agenda of paganism. You have been given a mandate. We the people expect your voice to be like the clear and certain sound of a trumpet. Because you seek the Lord daily, we who know the Lord will follow that kind of voice eagerly.

Don't equivocate. Put your agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they despise your Christ. Honor the Lord, and He will honor you.

Dr. Bob Jones III, president of Bob Jones University, in a letter to President Bush

Are these the kind of people Bush has to ass-kiss now? An "agenda of paganism" ?? "They despise you because they despise your Christ. " Riiiiiight.

BJU has removed the full letter from their site.

Last edited by CRM114; 11-15-04 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-15-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

why would he have to asskiss to them? He's not running for reelection.

I'd also point out that SEVERAL of our members have stated specifically that they don't like Bush because of his religiousness.

birrman54
Old 11-15-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Birrman54
why would he have to asskiss to them? He's not running for reelection.

I'd also point out that SEVERAL of our members have stated specifically that they don't like Bush because of his religiousness.

birrman54
Why?

Because Bush is probably concerned about the future of the Republican Party. He realizes the importance of the so-called Christian Right to the party's success in elections - both state-wide & national.

He certainly doesn't want to do anything to antagonize them.
Old 11-15-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by classicman2
Why?

Because Bush is probably concerned about the future of the Republican Party. He realizes the importance of the so-called Christian Right to the party's success in elections - both state-wide & national.

He certainly doesn't want to do anything to antagonize them.
He'll pay attention to them, certainly, but I just don't see them having the strangle-hold over the government like some of our members seem to think.

birrman54
Old 11-15-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bob Jones isn't some guy off the street. Bush owes him and others of his ilk. Be prepared to see the controversial issues come to the fore in a big way. 3 possible Supreme Court apointees, a Republican congress, and Republican President - Bush has to deliver.
Old 11-15-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Just as Democrats feel they owe their constituency (the greenies, for one)

If Kerry had been elected, you don't believe he would have tried to 'deliver' for the radical environmentalists?
Old 11-15-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just as Democrats feel they owe their constituency (the greenies, for one)

If Kerry had been elected, you don't believe he would have tried to 'deliver' for the radical environmentalists?
Absolutely. But of course, corporate interests always win out. But unlike the fantasy world of the Bob Joneses of the country, our world actually has a global climate change to be concerned about. Whats a couple ice shelfs anyway?
Old 11-15-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk God

The radical environmentalists, if they have their way, will do far far greater damage to this nation than any (maybe) global climate change.
Old 11-15-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The radical environmentalists, if they have their way, will do far far greater damage to this nation than any (maybe) global climate change.
However, the bulk of voters concerned with environmental issues are not radical. They just want clean air and clean water and someone that is willing to admit there is an issue to be dealt with for the next generation's sake. This president eschews science and appears to have disdain for scientific thought.

Bob Jones IS radical. Read the note. The guy is nuts.

BTW, you really don't believe that do you? About global climate change? All the refineries in the world will be meaningless for future generations. Lets get our thumbs out of our asses and start finding alternatives to oil.

Last edited by CRM114; 11-15-04 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-15-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the whole letter:

President George W. Bush
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

The media tells us that you have received the largest number of popular votes of any president in America's history. Congratulations!

In your re-election, God has graciously granted America—though she doesn't deserve it—a reprieve from the agenda of paganism. You have been given a mandate. We the people expect your voice to be like the clear and certain sound of a trumpet. Because you seek the Lord daily, we who know the Lord will follow that kind of voice eagerly.

Don't equivocate. Put your agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they despise your Christ. Honor the Lord, and He will honor you.

Had your opponent won, I would have still given thanks, because the Bible says I must (I Thessalonians 5:18). It would have been hard, but because the Lord lifts up whom He will and pulls down whom He will, I would have done it. It is easy to rejoice today, because Christ has allowed you to be His servant in this nation for another presidential term. Undoubtedly, you will have opportunity to appoint many conservative judges and exercise forceful leadership with the Congress in passing legislation that is defined by biblical norm regarding the family, sexuality, sanctity of life, religious freedom, freedom of speech, and limited government. You have four years—a brief time only—to leave an imprint for righteousness upon this nation that brings with it the blessings of Almighty God.

Christ said, “If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my father honour” (John 12:26).

The student body, faculty, and staff at Bob Jones University commit ourselves to pray for you—that you would do right and honor the Savior. Pull out all the stops and make a difference. If you have weaklings around you who do not share your biblical values, shed yourself of them. Conservative Americans would love to see one president who doesn't care whether he is liked, but cares infinitely that he does right.

Best wishes.

Sincerely your friend,

Bob Jones III
President

BJIII:lw

PS: A few moments ago I read this letter to the students in Chapel. They applauded loudly their approval.

When I told them that Tom Daschle was no longer the minority leader of the Senate, they cheered again.

On occasion, Christians have not agreed with things you said during your first term. Nonetheless, we could not be more thankful that God has given you four more years to serve Him in the White House, never taking off your Christian faith and laying it aside as a man takes off a jacket, but living, speaking, and making decisions as one who knows the Bible to be eternally true.
Old 11-15-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

However, the bulk of voters concerned with environmental issues are not radical.
The people who call the shots and have a bunch of Democrats, and a few Republicans, in their pocket are radical, however.
Old 11-15-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by CRM114

BTW, you really don't believe that do you? About global climate change? All the refineries in the world will be meaningless for future generations. Lets get our thumbs out of our asses and start finding alternatives to oil.
People have been claiming that oil will be gone since the early 1900s. Why do you believe there isn't enough to sustain us for well over 100 years?
Old 11-15-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by kvrdave
People have been claiming that oil will be gone since the early 1900s. Why do you believe there isn't enough to sustain us for well over 100 years?
Have you been on a highway in a major city recently? Things are changing exponentially.

Also, think about what you are saying. 100 years? There are tens of thousands of people that are 100 years old or older. Do you really want to just suck it all dry and future generations be damned?
Old 11-15-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PS: A few moments ago I read this letter to the students in Chapel. They applauded loudly their approval.

When I told them that Tom Daschle was no longer the minority leader of the Senate, they cheered again.
First of all -- "P.S."? Who writes a P.S.? And who writes a letter to the President but reads it to his students before sending it? I'm picturing Bob ripping the envelope open so he can scrawl his little adendum at the bottom -- "Guess what, Mr. President -- it turns out the students at Bob Jones share my profound antipathy for secularism! Huzzah!"

Second, are Bob Jones University students not allowed to pick up a newspaper? "Hey guys, guess what! Tom Daschle lost his election! Way to be intellectually curious and find that out on your own!"
Old 11-15-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I guess I'm a religous nut, I cheered too
Old 11-15-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bob Jones is missing his chrome-covered balls that have little saws in them.
Old 11-15-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Bob Jones is missing his chrome-covered balls that have little saws in them.
Is that a Phantasm reference?
Old 11-16-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by CRM114
However, the bulk of voters concerned with environmental issues are not radical. They just want clean air and clean water and someone that is willing to admit there is an issue to be dealt with for the next generation's sake. This president eschews science and appears to have disdain for scientific thought.
Hmm...I always thought tying yourself to a tree, spiking tires and sabatoging equipment WAS radical. But, I'll agree. The bulk of environmentalists aren't radical. That's a pretty big concession, coming from me.

In return, I'd like for you to honestly admit to yourself that the bulk of RELIGIOUS voters aren't radical, either. Even though they're painted as crazies who expouse Jesus-love to every man, woman and cat they meet. I have respect for those people, while your party demeans them and labels them insane. Probably why they don't get that much of their votes.

With the Clean Air Act report that came out, it must suck for your argument that our air's cleaner today than it has been in over 70 years. I think that 'environmental battle' is pretty much covered, regardless of who's in charge. It takes a pretty grand egotist to think they can actually harm the Earth, which has survived much worse than little ol' man.
Old 11-16-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm definitely a person concerned with the environment, but I'm very rational about it. I'm not going to throw blood on peoples fur coats, ruin someones SUV or tie myself to a tree. I wouldn't mind a better effort at cleaning up enviromental problems in the country though or more funding for the interior that was used for something besides building roads for lumber companies.

Unfortunately many people that protest are more interested in the actual protest than the cause behind it. Hell, many of those enviromentalists haven't a clue about what they are even protesting. A lot of them are college fucks that just want to yell stuff at people.

As far as Bob Jones, I've read a few things about the place and if any of that is true it is not a group I would want to associate with. Racism and extreme fundamentalist religion is the thing we are fighting in Iraq. Why befriend it in this country? I totally agree that a small percentage of religous people are like the group at Bob Jones. However the ones that are in the extreme religious right are very active politically and pull a lot of weight. They can't just be ignored.

Last edited by darkside; 11-16-04 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-16-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can anyone dig up out of the news archive the article about the first "Earth Day" demonstration/celebration at the Washington Monument? I remember reading that the National Parks Service stated that that event generated the most trash and litter than any gathering up to that point.
Old 11-16-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As a born-again, doesn't Bush believe that everyone who isn't a born-again christian is going to hell? Sounds like these two would get along famously.
Old 11-16-04, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Location: Now in the Mojave desert...but still, thankfully, outside Los Angeles
Originally posted by Trigger
As a born-again, doesn't Bush believe that everyone who isn't a born-again christian is going to hell? Sounds like these two would get along famously.
...or, alternatively. hell is just "afterlife warming".