Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

60 Minutes..."Until we respect Bin Laden we're going to die in numbers!"

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 11-15-04, 12:18 AM
Banned

Did anyone watch 60 Minutes tonight? A former annonymous CIA Agent, who is said to know Bin Laden beter than any in the US, told the interviewer(forgot his name) that a nuclear attack on America from Bin Laden is not only likely, but is inevitable.

Interviewer: Do you respect him?(Bin Laden)

CIA guy: Until we respect him we are going to die in numbers.

Also said Bin Laden's not running and hiding under rocks. That if he says he's going to do something he's going to do it. He WANTS us to know why he hates us, and will attack us again until we understand who we're up against.

I also find it interesting that, according to what we've seen in the recent videotape, Bin laden has NOT altered his appearance and has not had any type of cosmetic surgery to disguise his appearance. Clearly he doesn't give a fuck that we're out to get him and it seems likely that he's well hidden and is prepared to carry out another monumental attack.

I'm scared Groucho comfort me
Old 11-15-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We aren't out to get him. We're too busy bombing the fuck out of Iraq and killing people in Fallujah to worry about some whacked out jihad dude in the caves of Pakistan who Bush has admitted to not being interested in finding anymore.
Old 11-15-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Say...have you guys heard about the Politics Talk forum?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/forumdi...?s=&forumid=47
Old 11-15-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is about 60 Minutes. It clearly belongs in the Book Forum.
Old 11-15-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Moving to the clock forum...
Old 11-15-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Politics aside, I'm not sure what this CIA guy is getting at? We don't respect him? I say we certainly do respect him, in the sense that we respect the level of his hatred and his ability to kill us. That's why we launched a huge military offensive to capture the guy. If we didn't respect him we would have ignored him. Furthermore, Bin Laden will kill us whether we respect him or not, so again--what's this guy's point?

mllefoo, if you want add to the endless, nauseating criticism of Bush, I'm sure you can find ample opportunity in the politics forum.
Old 11-15-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pee in his butt!
Old 11-15-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by wabio
Pee in his butt!
Now that's respect if I ever heard of it.
Old 11-15-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Obviously he is using the word differently that most of us would think. It is similar to respecting Hitler for his ability to lead. Either way, OBL needs to find the same fate as Hitler.
Old 11-15-04, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

OBL (if alive) has been preaching the demise of the US for years. Nuclear attacks have also been discussed for many years. In fact, back in the mid-90's, nuclear attacks were feared because of missing components from Russia or missing components from other countries.

If you think about it, it's actually been the modern society who has mentioned the nuclear threat more than the actual terrorist group, and the media who have driven it to the point of sensational news, whereby a terrorist just might actually get interested in it. I remember right after 9/11, where we had every terrorist advisor on the planet giving their scenarios and methods of attack, and I'm saying, "Hoy cow, shut the hell up, thanks. A few advisors, who were actually good at their job, kept their mouth shut and only gave a few ideas.

My point being, if the US portrays a psychological fear of a nuclear attack to the world, and this message is repeatedly conveyed, then we may have just manifested its reality more sooner, than later.
Old 11-15-04, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

<b>paranoid fear</b> is what drives terrorism.
Old 11-15-04, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

While waiting for Cold Case to start (late due to game), I noticed CBS also rebroadcast an interview with Yasser arafat. I guess it was the reflection and tribute segment alluded to in the Yasser is sick-dead-alive-dead-alive-DEAD thread.
Old 11-15-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dear OBL,

Eat shit, you low life camelfucker.

Love,

Iron Chef
Old 11-15-04, 08:53 AM

Osama fucks camels? With all those goats around? Well, he won't get MY respect that way.

(Comforting enough for ya?)
Old 11-15-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by taa455
Politics aside, I'm not sure what this CIA guy is getting at? We don't respect him? I say we certainly do respect him, in the sense that we respect the level of his hatred and his ability to kill us. That's why we launched a huge military offensive to capture the guy. If we didn't respect him we would have ignored him. Furthermore, Bin Laden will kill us whether we respect him or not, so again--what's this guy's point?
Not to jump on you or anything but if you has asked me on September 18th or whenever we invaded Afghanistan how long I thought Bin Laden would be alive, the answer would have been less than a year. I'm interested to know if you would have said differently. At this point three years later, it's really hard for me to say with any sincerety that the war in Iraq has not been a distraction... at the very least with regards to al Qaeda. Our government's failing in this area is beginning to make me question their ability to protect us.
Old 11-15-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally posted by Mordred
Our government's failing in this area is beginning to make me question their ability to protect us.
Everyone's got their opinion. Mine is that the administration never put a time table of capturing Bin-Laden, so why should I? I do feel confident that we will catch him or kill him eventually, and I personally think he's on the run and I don't think he's got any tricks up his sleeve. I think all he's got in his favor is memories of 9/11 and the rest is just talk. We are vigilant and we have our eye on the ball. I say this every time there is one of these alert and they say there will be a major attack within weeks (even Bin Laden himself over the last couple of years has said there will be something big in the U.S. over a timeframe and nothing happens). Don't give him more credit than he deserves.
Old 11-15-04, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Mordred
Not to jump on you or anything but if you has asked me on September 18th or whenever we invaded Afghanistan how long I thought Bin Laden would be alive, the answer would have been less than a year. I'm interested to know if you would have said differently. At this point three years later, it's really hard for me to say with any sincerety that the war in Iraq has not been a distraction... at the very least with regards to al Qaeda. Our government's failing in this area is beginning to make me question their ability to protect us.
I would have probably said the same. However, the operations in Afghanistan at this point (including the search for OBL) are a special forces type operation, requiring small patrols and search teams, not a full scale invasion. So the argument that Iraq took resources away from Afghanistan is bunk, imho. We as a country are certainly capable of waging a war on two fronts.
Old 11-15-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We as a country are certainly capable of waging a war on two fronts.
Considering that NO country has ever sucessfully held a two front war.
Old 11-15-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Considering that NO country has ever sucessfully held a two front war.
How many fronts did we fight in WWII?
Old 11-15-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kvrdave
Obviously he is using the word differently that most of us would think. It is similar to respecting Hitler for his ability to lead.
Or, respecting Hitler as a formidable opponent deserving of serious attention. And I think we've failed to regard ObL in the same light (e.g., Bush stating a few months after 9/11 that he "doesn't really think about ObL that much.")

Going into Iraq may have proven to be a more massive mistake than previously thought, since we've basically spent two and a half years assaulting a non-issue while ObL's team regroups.

- David Stein
Old 11-15-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by sfsdfd

Going into Iraq may have proven to be a more massive mistake than previously thought, since we've basically spent two and a half years assaulting a non-issue while ObL's team regroups.

- David Stein
One can certainly argue that invading Iraq was mistake. I believe it was.

I don't believe anyone can reasonably argue that Iraq was a non-issue.
Old 11-15-04, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Or, respecting Hitler as a formidable opponent deserving of serious attention. And I think we've failed to regard ObL in the same light (e.g., Bush stating a few months after 9/11 that he "doesn't really think about ObL that much.")

- David Stein
I don't remember that from a few months after 9/11. I know Bush said as much in one of the debates. I believe it was a mistake to say and not entirely true. I'm sure that Bush does think about OBL quite often and he is still very much wanting to see OBL caught. I think Bush's point was he didn't want to come of as desperate to America or to the world.
Old 11-15-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think what he is saying here is something that evades some folks.

Bin Laden is cunning and intelligent (note : I'm not saying genius here). He makes statements and people just seem to take them at face value, assuming he is not smart or clever enough to be trying to manipulate us.

Example:
There was a discussion in a previous thread where a few people insisted Bin Laden isn't capable of something as "complex" as reverse psychology. Come on.

What he is saying, I think is that he is a capable, intelligent adversary that should not be under-estimated. It does seem like people under-estimate him as some crazy, straightforward, angry mo-fo who hates american "freedoms". While parts of that are arguably true, you should never ever underestimate your enemy.

Here's a good article I liked, outlining a theory that OBL manipulated the US into creating sympathy and recruits for him:

http://www.amconmag.com/2004_10_25/feature.html

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 11-15-04 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-15-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't remember that from a few months after 9/11.
I looked it up. March 13th, 2002.
I believe it was a mistake to say and not entirely true.
Me, too - I don't think he meant it. My criticism of it is different, and twofold:

First, what an <i>amazingly</i> ridiculous statement. Six months after he kills 3,000 civilians in the worst attack on American soil, Bush is saying he's no longer much interested in bin Laden. Holy crap.

Second, the clear purpose of the message (taken in context) was in positioning Saddam Hussein as America's #1 terrorist criminal. This was a distortion of American perception for a purely political goal - which, as it happens, was a completely successful tactic.

- David Stein
Old 11-15-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those who wish to judge the context for themselves, the link to the entire press conference is here ( http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0020313-8.html ). The press conference was originally about judicial appointments, but Iraq and Osama Bin Laden (among other topics, such as pedophilia in the Catholic Church) were brought up by the press during the question and answer section.

Here are the two questions in which Bush made those comments:

Q Mr. President, in your speeches now you rarely talk or mention Osama bin Laden. Why is that? Also, can you tell the American people if you have any more information, if you know if he is dead or alive? Final part -- deep in your heart, don't you truly believe that until you find out if he is dead or alive, you won't really eliminate the threat of --

THE PRESIDENT: Deep in my heart I know the man is on the run, if he's alive at all. Who knows if he's hiding in some cave or not; we haven't heard from him in a long time. And the idea of focusing on one person is -- really indicates to me people don't understand the scope of the mission.

Terror is bigger than one person. And he's just -- he's a person who's now been marginalized. His network, his host government has been destroyed. He's the ultimate parasite who found weakness, exploited it, and met his match. He is -- as I mentioned in my speech, I do mention the fact that this is a fellow who is willing to commit youngsters to their death and he, himself, tries to hide -- if, in fact, he's hiding at all.

So I don't know where he is. You know, I just don't spend that much time on him, Kelly, to be honest with you. I'm more worried about making sure that our soldiers are well-supplied; that the strategy is clear; that the coalition is strong; that when we find enemy bunched up like we did in Shahikot Mountains, that the military has all the support it needs to go in and do the job, which they did.

And there will be other battles in Afghanistan. There's going to be other struggles like Shahikot, and I'm just as confident about the outcome of those future battles as I was about Shahikot, where our soldiers are performing brilliantly. We're tough, we're strong, they're well-equipped. We have a good strategy. We are showing the world we know how to fight a guerrilla war with conventional means.

Q But don't you believe that the threat that bin Laden posed won't truly be eliminated until he is found either dead or alive?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, as I say, we haven't heard much from him. And I wouldn't necessarily say he's at the center of any command structure. And, again, I don't know where he is. I -- I'll repeat what I said. I truly am not that concerned about him. I know he is on the run. I was concerned about him, when he had taken over a country. I was concerned about the fact that he was basically running Afghanistan and calling the shots for the Taliban.

But once we set out the policy and started executing the plan, he became -- we shoved him out more and more on the margins. He has no place to train his al Qaeda killers anymore. And if we -- excuse me for a minute -- and if we find a training camp, we'll take care of it. Either we will or our friends will. That's one of the things -- part of the new phase that's becoming apparent to the American people is that we're working closely with other governments to deny sanctuary, or training, or a place to hide, or a place to raise money.

And we've got more work to do. See, that's the thing the American people have got to understand, that we've only been at this six months. This is going to be a long struggle. I keep saying that; I don't know whether you all believe me or not. But time will show you that it's going to take a long time to achieve this objective. And I can assure you, I am not going to blink. And I'm not going to get tired. Because I know what is at stake. And history has called us to action, and I am going to seize this moment for the good of the world, for peace in the world and for freedom.
I believe his statement was poorly worded. At the same time in the context in which it was made, if my recollection serves, we hadn't heard anything out of Bin Laden since before the Afghan invasion, so there was an incredibly strong likelihood he was dead at the time. If he had said "We're still actively looking for him, but we've got other pressing issues to attend to until he becomes a more immediate concern again," I would have supported that statement, and I would have considered it true.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.