Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Vice President Cheney taken to a hospital for tests after experiencing shortness of b

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Vice President Cheney taken to a hospital for tests after experiencing shortness of b

Old 11-13-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BREAKING NEWS on CNN
Old 11-13-04, 02:23 PM

Hope everything is well w/ him.

If he does need to step down though I think Ashcroft is looking for a job now
Old 11-13-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shortness of... books? Burgers? Ballerinas?!?!? Breasts? It's gotta be breasts.
Old 11-13-04, 02:28 PM

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...o_pr_wh/cheney
Old 11-13-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you people are a bunch of farging idiots

it's shortness of bad words

Hopefuly it's nothing, I'm no fan of Cheney but still it's bad to see him have any medical issues

Last edited by Bacon; 11-13-04 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-13-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who's President if he dies?
Old 11-13-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-13-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Hopefully nothing. I had figured within 2 years he would step down, though. They need a vp in place to run in '08.
Old 11-13-04, 03:47 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by kvrdave
Hopefully nothing. I had figured within 2 years he would step down, though. They need a vp in place to run in '08.
Maybe this is part of the stepping down process. Have these health "problems" here and there, and after 2 years, he can say that he's no longer in the physical condition to continue serving as VP.
Old 11-13-04, 03:57 PM
Banned

If Cheney goes, do the people get to pick another VP or Bush gets to pick the person of his choice? Or in worst case scenario, Dennis Hastert becomes the VP?
Old 11-13-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally posted by Wannabe
Who's President if he dies?
Michael Moore is fat too.
Old 11-13-04, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Myster X
If Cheney goes, do the people get to pick another VP or Bush gets to pick the person of his choice? Or in worst case scenario, Dennis Hastert becomes the VP?
There's this great little document called the Constitution... you might want to look at it some time

j/k

http://www.archives.gov/national_arc..._11-27.html#25
AMENDMENT XXV
Section 2.
Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.
Old 11-13-04, 04:10 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
This would be a good chance for the Repubs to get their '08 candidate positioned in the White House.
Old 11-13-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Myster X

Or in worst case scenario, Dennis Hastert becomes the VP?
I think he'd do a fine job:

das
Old 11-13-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by nemein
There's this great little document called the Constitution... you might want to look at it some time

j/k

http://www.archives.gov/national_arc..._11-27.html#25
Except the 25th Amendment doesn't come into play. Cheney's term expires in January and the Electoral College hasn't chosen his successor yet. In the ordinary course of things, he'll be reelected. If he holds a press conference on Monday and announced he was resigning due to health reasons, the electoral college would pick someone else to serve as vice president (and in theory, they could do that anyway). Practically speaking, Bush would nominate someone, and his electors would presumably vote for his nominee.

If Cheney resigns after December 13 (when the electoral college meets), then the position would be filled according to the 25th Amendment.

If I wanted to spin conspiracy theories, I'd point out that Bush would have a much easier time getting a controversial vice president through the electoral college than he would of getting one through the Congress. Of course, if his goal is to set someone up for 2008, he's not going to pick someone controversial.
Old 11-13-04, 06:25 PM

Except the 25th Amendment doesn't come into play. Cheney's term expires in January and the Electoral College hasn't chosen his successor yet.
By your own words he's currently the VP until Jan (so the 25th applies) if something happens between now and then. In Jan he'll be reinstated so the 25th still applies. I agree it could become more complicated, and I'm not a Constitutional scholar/lawyer so I could be wrong but I don't see how in the current situation though the 25th wouldn't apply... If Kerry were elected and this was happening to Edwards that would be a different story.

Last edited by nemein; 11-13-04 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-13-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Clinton just went and saw him. He said, "Inhale slowly. I did, and I never had any problems."
Old 11-14-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

By your own words he's currently the VP until Jan (so the 25th applies) if something happens between now and then. In Jan he'll be reinstated so the 25th still applies. I agree it could become more complicated, and I'm not a Constitutional scholar/lawyer so I could be wrong but I don't see how in the current situation though the 25th wouldn't apply... If Kerry were elected and this was happening to Edwards that would be a different story.
Cheney's current term expires on Innauguration Day 2005. The Electoral College has not yet met to elect him to his second term. Therefore, if he were to announce his resignation effective today, Bush would be able to appoint a Vice President pursuant to the 25th Amendment who would serve until Innauguration Day, 2005. At that point, the candidate chosen by the Electoral College would take over. So technically, the 25th Amendment could come into play, but realistically, Bush wouldn't have time to push his guy through Congress between now and Innauguration Day. He'd just tell the Electoral College who he wanted and, unless he picked someone controversial, the Bush electors in the EC would just rubber stamp it.
Old 11-14-04, 05:27 PM

So technically, the 25th Amendment could come into play
See we do agree I guess things could play out the way you are outlining above but it wouldn't make much sense to try and appoint someone for such a short time to then have someone else take over in Jan. So if Cheney were to resign effective today I suspect the replacement (as appointed by the 25thA) would be the person accepted/choosen by the EC.
Old 11-14-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

See we do agree I guess things could play out the way you are outlining above but it wouldn't make much sense to try and appoint someone for such a short time to then have someone else take over in Jan. So if Cheney were to resign effective today I suspect the replacement (as appointed by the 25thA) would be the person accepted/choosen by the EC.
I think we're still talking past each other. If Cheney were to resign, effective immediately, the 25th Amendment would probably never come into play. Bush would finish his first term without a Vice President. Then on December 13, the Electoral College would meet and choose a President and Vice President according to the 12th Amendment. The President would presumably be Bush. The VP would presumably be whoever Bush indicates he wants as his VP. The new President and VP would take office on Innauguration Day, 2005, and the 25th Amendment would never be invoked.

If Cheney resigns after the Electoral College meets, or if Bush wants to have a VP in place before Innauguration Day, then the 25th Amendment would have to be invoked.
Old 11-14-04, 09:25 PM

If Cheney were to resign, effective immediately, the 25th Amendment would probably never come into play. Bush would finish his first term without a Vice President. Then on December 13, the Electoral College would meet and choose a President and Vice President according to the 12th Amendment.
This is where we have a difference of opinion then I guess. I suspect were he too resign a VP would be rushed through confirmation via the 25thA. I can't imagine anyone supporting the idea of finishing a term w/o one. Additionally I suspect congress would push (although maybe not) to enact the 25thA instead of having the EC choose. Legislatures like to flex their political muscle whenever they can, even though it's really a 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other situation because either way I'm pretty sure Bush will get the person he wants.
Old 11-15-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No wonder...look at all the blood that has to pump out to his monstrous dick.