Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Computer Glitch Changes Election Result

Old 11-12-04, 02:46 PM

Computer Glitch Changes Election Result

I wonder how outraged liberals will be about this?
<hr>
<b><a href = "http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=536&e=5&u=/ap/20041112/ap_on_el_st_lo/election_glitch">Computer Glitch Changes Election Result</a></b>

BROOKVILLE, Ind. - A hand recount of ballots cast using optical scanning technology gave a Democrat enough extra votes to bump a Republican from victory in a county commissioner's race.

The erroneous tally was caused when the Fidlar Election Co. scanning system recorded straight-Democratic Party votes as votes for Libertarians in southeastern Indiana's Franklin County.

The recount Thursday pushed Democrat Carroll Lanning from fifth to third in the three-seat commissioners race, while Republican Roy Hall fell to fifth.

Democrats had suspected a glitch after preliminary election results included a Libertarian congressional candidate winning 7.7 percent of the vote in Franklin County, more than four times better than he did across the entire district.

Fidlar workers said no programming problems were found in the Accuvote 2000 ES system, but said the Rock Island, Ill.-based company is going over its programming elsewhere in the state and in Wisconsin and Michigan, which, like Indiana, have straight-party voting.

Fidlar national sales manager Bill Barrett on Friday called the glitch an "isolated incident" and said no other election results were in question.

A spokeswoman for the Indiana secretary of state's office said state officials were waiting to learn more from the company and Franklin County. Pre-election tests had found no problems, Kate Shepherd said, and the state was unaware of other similar troubles.
Old 11-12-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Computer Glitch Changes Election Result

Originally posted by wendersfan
I can't tell what you're trying to imply by this statement. I would assume that Democrats would be happy that the voting was corrected and that the Republicans would be unhappy that they're guy lost. You seem to be sarcasticaly saying that if "liberals" should be outraged that the vote was corrected but won't be, but maybe I'm reading you wrong.
Old 11-12-04, 03:59 PM

Re: Re: Computer Glitch Changes Election Result

Originally posted by Mordred
I can't tell what you're trying to imply by this statement. I would assume that Democrats would be happy that the voting was corrected and that the Republicans would be unhappy that they're guy lost. You seem to be sarcasticaly saying that if "liberals" should be outraged that the vote was corrected but won't be, but maybe I'm reading you wrong.
I wasn't really trying to imply anything, other than computer glitches are almost certainly randomized and, taken as a whole (if one could discover all of them) will even each other out and end up not benefitting any particular party.
Old 11-12-04, 04:10 PM
Banned

[Al Gore]I demand a recount![/Al Gore]
Old 11-12-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yet another instance of what happens when you use computerized voting machines. What's next? A blue screen of death when you go to punch in your final vote? Hackers breaking into the system and tinkering with the vote counts? Poor programming electing the person with the least votes instead of the most ? ( hey, maybe this would get a libertarian in a place of power to stir things up)
Old 11-12-04, 11:27 PM
Suspended

Old 11-13-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GreenMonkey
Yet another instance of what happens when you use computerized voting machines. What's next? A blue screen of death when you go to punch in your final vote? Hackers breaking into the system and tinkering with the vote counts? Poor programming electing the person with the least votes instead of the most ? ( hey, maybe this would get a libertarian in a place of power to stir things up)
Wouldn't it be wacky if you used one isolated incident to condemn the entire practice?
Old 11-13-04, 02:16 AM
Suspended

It would even be wackier if you disclosed stories of voter fraud before computers were even used. The horror. The terrible horror.
Old 11-13-04, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

Re: Computer Glitch Changes Election Result

Why ruin a thread with a start like this?
Old 11-14-04, 09:15 PM

Re: Re: Computer Glitch Changes Election Result

Originally posted by bfrank

Why ruin a thread with a start like this?
Sarcasm.
Old 11-15-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: Computer Glitch Changes Election Result

I wasn't really trying to imply anything, other than computer glitches are almost certainly randomized and, taken as a whole (if one could discover all of them) will even each other out and end up not benefitting any particular party.
It benefitted Carroll Lanning.