Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Election 2004: Just when you thought it was over ...

Old 11-11-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Election 2004: Just when you thought it was over ...

Look at this Green Party press release:

Green and Libertarian Presidential Candidates to Demand Ohio Recount.
David Cobb for President
www.votecobb.org

November 11, 2004

Contact: Blair Bobier, Media Director at 541.929.5755 or 414.364.1596
Stephen Gordon, Badnarik campaign at 256.227.8360

GREEN & LIBERTARIAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES TO DEMAND OHIO RECOUNT

David Cobb and Michael Badnarik, the 2004 presidential candidates for the Green and Libertarian parties, today announced their intentions to file a formal demand for a recount of the presidential ballots cast in Ohio.

“Due to widespread reports of irregularities in the Ohio voting process, we are compelled to demand a recount of the Ohio presidential vote. Voting is the heart of the democratic process in which we as a nation put our faith. When people stand in line for hours to exercise their right to vote, they need to know that all votes will be counted fairly and accurately. We must protect the rights of the people of Ohio, as well as all Americans, and stand up for the right to vote and the right for people’s votes to be counted. The integrity of the democratic process is at stake,” the two candidates said in a joint statement.

The candidates also demanded that Ohio Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell, a Republican who chaired the Ohio Bush campaign, recuse himself from the recount process.

The Ohio presidential election was marred by numerous press and independent reports of voter intimidation, mis-marked and discarded ballots, problems with electronic voting machines and the targeted disenfranchisement of African American voters. A number of citizens’ groups and voting rights organizations are holding hearings this Saturday in Columbus, Ohio to investigate voting irregularities and voter suppression in the Ohio 2004 general election. The hearings will be held from 1-4 p.m. at the New Faith Baptist Church, 955 Oak Street. Voters, poll workers, journalists and voting experts are invited to testify. A second hearing will be held on Monday at a location TBA, from 6-9 p.m.

The Cobb and Badnarik campaigns are in the process of raising the required fee, estimated at $110,000, for filing for a complete recount. The campaigns are accepting contributions through their websites.

The Cobb-LaMarche website is http://www.votecobb.org.
The Badnarik-Campagna contribution page is https://badnarik.org .

The Cobb and Badnarik campaigns have displayed a level of cooperation and civility rarely found in electoral politics. The campaigns jointly participated in and/or sponsored a series of independent debates. Cobb and Badnarik were also simultaneously arrested in St. Louis protesting their exclusion from the restricted, two-party corporate-sponsored debates.

To see an investigative report by Greg Palast, author of The Best Democracy Money Can Buy, which asserts that the Ohio vote was improperly decided, see http://www.tompaine.com/articles/kerry_won.php.

For an article detailing a dozen ways in which the Ohio vote was potentially manipulated, see http://www.freepress.org/departments...ay/19/2004/810.
http://www.gp.org/press/pr_11_11_04.html

So what happens in the extremely unlikely event that the recount shows that Kerry got more votes in Ohio than Bush did?
Old 11-11-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What if *Badnarik* got more votes than Bush!
Old 11-11-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just "give" the Green and Libertarian candidates 10 more votes added to their total and they'll be happy.
Old 11-11-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe marijuana should be illegal.
Old 11-11-04, 07:50 PM
Banned

It's on Craigslist too

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/for/48681491.html
Old 11-11-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What will a recount cost taxpayers?
Old 11-11-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
does a bear shit in the woods?
Old 11-11-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RoyalTea
does a bear shit in the woods?
Why are they charging bear poop. And what companies accept that as a form of payment?
Old 11-11-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Actually, I did see a bear shit in the woods last week. It was big, hairy, kinda stupid looking...oh wait, it was Michael Moore.
Old 11-11-04, 10:09 PM
Admin-Thanos

All these silly little parties. You only see them every 4 years, so they're trying to get a little more spotlight before they fade away into the distance I suppose.
Old 11-12-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Election 2004: Just when you thought it was over ...

Originally posted by JasonF
So what happens in the extremely unlikely event that the recount shows that Kerry got more votes in Ohio than Bush did?
Kerry will be inaugurated as President come January. Go recount!
Old 11-12-04, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You only see them every 4 years, so they're trying to get a little more spotlight before they fade away into the distance I suppose.
I think this is about money, not attention.
Old 11-12-04, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If there was evidence of vote tampering, I'd get behind a recount - but we have a decisive majority and Bush won the popular vote by a healthy margin we should just get over it already. Democrats need to take all that energy and put it into reforming their party and coming back to the left.

That all said - I believe Bush's first 4 years should be invalidated somehow... as soon as we invent a time machine or something. He can have the next 4 though with no gripes about illegitimacy from me. I'll still bitch about him as a bad president though.
Old 11-12-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw a report on Fox last night about this. If I understood the "expert" correctly: the margin was not small enough to trigger an automatic recount. The automatic is the only one the taxpayers would have to cover. Therefore, whoever requests the recount has to pay for it. The first level of recounting (meaning just a few counties) would cost $110,000 and it goes up from there.
Old 11-12-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it would be funny if the recount gives bush more votes and then they would want another recount..

this is pathetic
Old 11-12-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk God

That's good. Now please ask this same question every time Republicrats spend money on something ludicrous.
Old 11-12-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I predict Kerry will win Ohio and the Red Sox will win the World Series....
Old 11-12-04, 10:13 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally posted by Nazgul
Just "give" the Green and Libertarian candidates 10 more votes added to their total and they'll be happy.
No way! We're not doubling their votes without a fight.
Old 11-12-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Chew's got it right:

Cobb demands recount in Ohio

EUREKA -- Former Green presidential candidate and Eureka resident David Cobb wants a recount of votes cast in Ohio during last week's presidential election.

Ohio went to President Bush, the final state he needed to win enough electoral votes to secure re-election.

In a press release issued Wednesday, Cobb indicated that he and Michael Badnarik, this year's Libertarian presidential candidate intend to file a formal demand for a recount of the presidential ballots cast in Ohio.

"Due to widespread reports of irregularities in the Ohio voting process, we are compelled to demand a recount of the Ohio presidential vote," the two candidates said in a joint statement. "Voting is the heart of the democratic process in which we as a nation put our faith. When people stand in line for hours to exercise their right to vote, they need to know that all votes will be counted fairly and accurately."

The candidates also demanded that Ohio Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell, a Republican who chaired the Ohio Bush campaign, recuse himself from the recount process.

The two third-party candidates argue that the Ohio presidential election was marred by numerous press and independent reports of voter intimidation, mis-marked and discarded ballots, problems with electronic voting machines and the targeted disenfranchisement of African American voters.

A number of citizens' groups and voting rights organizations are reportedly holding hearings this Saturday in Columbus, Ohio, to investigate voting irregularities and voter suppression in the Ohio 2004 general election.

The Cobb and Badnarik campaigns are in the process of raising the required fee, estimated at $110,000, for filing for a complete recount. The campaigns are accepting contributions through their websites. The Cobb-LaMarche website is http://www.votecobb.org. The Badnarik-Campagna contribution page is https://badnarik.org.
http://www.times-standard.com/Storie...530560,00.html
Old 11-12-04, 04:52 PM

I'm surprised Sorros (sp?) hasn't coughed up the cash yet, I mean that's like pocket change for him right?
Old 11-12-04, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by nemein
I'm surprised Sorros (sp?) hasn't coughed up the cash yet, I mean that's like pocket change for him right?
Because unlike the screwed up 2000 election, Kerry did not get the majority of the votes, and the 130,000 plus difference in votes is almost impossible to makeup by Kerry.
Old 11-12-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by JasonF
Chew's got it right
So bear poop in the woods was wrong?
Old 11-12-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Red Dog
That's good. Now please ask this same question every time Republicrats spend money on something ludicrous.

Okay... I'll try.
Old 11-12-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So if Cobb and Badnarik are concerned with irregularities, I'm sure that Wisconsin, where an actual verifiable crime was committed in an attempt to stop voting, will be next, right? Kerry took that state by less than 12,000 votes. Or perhaps Cobb and Badnarik will invest in uncovering some of the rather...umm...enthusiastic efforts on the parts of many MoveOn.org volunteers across the country to exploit the provisional balloting system. On the distant chance that Ohio even gets close, the GOP is said to be equipped with it's own laundry list of documented irregularities this year.