DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   Bush's Dog's Name (aka, Why are people retards?) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/395392-bushs-dogs-name-aka-why-people-retards.html)

Bushdog 11-11-04 01:17 PM

Bush's Dog's Name (aka, Why are people retards?)

So it seems that the Bush's new doggie was named after a character in an anti-McCarthy book, by a writer who was a staunch Democrat and people are making hay over it.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/11/pre....ap/index.html

CONCORD, New Hampshire (AP) -- Miss Beazley, the White House's new cuddly puppy, is named after a character in a children's book. But here's the dirty scoop: The author of that book was Democrat.

"I'm not sure my father would be rolling over in his grave," said Tim Butterworth, the son of the late author Oliver Butterworth. "But he'd probably be smiling quite a bit, because he liked irony."
There's only one problem. While it is fun to laugh at Bush and paint him as the opposite of the Democratic ideals, it was his Grandfather Prescott who was the first Republican to stand up against McCarthyism, and that action went a long way to putting an end to a dark era.

Meanwhile idiots are trying to paint this as a black eye or something dumb done by the Bushes. -ohbfrank-

I'm sure GWB takes pride in his Grandfather's act of courage and I guess I don't see any irony.

JasonF 11-11-04 01:21 PM

What about your name?

Bushdog 11-11-04 01:22 PM

:lol: Didn't even see that

me = not so smart.

IMRICKJAMES 11-11-04 02:11 PM

What the hell is the big deal. The dog was named after a book character, and the author happened to be a Democrat!?!?! Stop the presses!

MoviePage 11-11-04 02:25 PM

There are plenty of dumb things done by the Bushes that can fairly be pointed out. This is not one of them.

Roto 11-11-04 02:29 PM

Who said it was a big deal?!?!?! I guess they went a little out of their way to interview the guy, but whenever a President gets a new dog they always print something about it. Whoever got the crappy assignment tried to make something out of it, is all.

Bushdog 11-11-04 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Roto
Who said it was a big deal?!?!?! I guess they went a little out of their way to interview the guy, but whenever a President gets a new dog they always print something about it. Whoever got the crappy assignment tried to make something out of it, is all.
Well, a big enough deal to merit the front page of CNN.com

Roto 11-11-04 02:33 PM

i don't see it on the front page now, but I'll agree it doesn't belong there.

Bushdog 11-11-04 02:35 PM

Ok, and? Do you see Dewey wins on the front page now? It had a run on the front page, that's what I'm saying. There are lots of things that once on the front page, no longer are eventually. In fact, pretty much every front page story in the history of time is no longer on the front page.

Roto 11-11-04 02:37 PM

Settle down boy! *rolls up newspaper*

I said I agreed that it didn't belong there. What more do you want? Should I call and tell them to change my vote? :p

wendersfan 11-11-04 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Bushdog
:lol: Didn't even see that

me = not so smart.

Don't put yourself down. You're at least as smart as most of the Ph Ds I work with. ;)

Y2K Falcon 11-11-04 02:44 PM

Re: BushDog's Name (aka, Why are people retards?)

It's not a great name, but don't resort to calling yourself names about it.... :(

bboisvert 11-11-04 03:37 PM

The dog was named after a character in a book written by a Dem? Well, that settles it... Next time, I vote for Kerry. :rolleyes:

Looks like those media stories about this being a 'divided' country are kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. If they'd stop running stupid-ass non-stories like this, maybe it wouldn't be such an issue.

namja 11-11-04 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Roto
i don't see it on the front page now, but I'll agree it doesn't belong there.
I don't see it either. Maybe it was on the front page for a 1/2 hour or so. Even considering all the other crap that goes on the front page for short periods of time, I don't think this is 1/2-hour-worthy.

Bushdog 11-11-04 03:50 PM

I was there over the span of a couple hours I looked, but whatever, who knew that how long it was on the front page would be a topic of discussion. *shrug*

VinVega 11-11-04 03:52 PM

Another self serving Bushdog thread. -ohbfrank-

:D

Bushdog 11-11-04 03:58 PM

:lol: :blush:

Joe Molotov 11-11-04 04:49 PM

How do they know it wasn't named after Kim Beazley of the Austrlian Labor Party? It's not like this guy was the only person to use the name "Beazley" before. Must be a slow news day.

MJKTool 11-11-04 08:05 PM

Are you calling yourself a retard?

weargle 11-11-04 08:36 PM

Originally posted by wendersfan
Don't put yourself down. You're at least as smart as most of the Ph Ds I work with. ;)
Hahahahahahahahaha snicker snicker

aside: Does a Ph.D. mean that you've had to surrender your fucking common sense when you receive your degree?

Bushdog 11-11-04 09:48 PM

Originally posted by wendersfan
I am a Ph.D. I'm not sure if that helps my cause in this instance. :eek:

;)

Bushdog 11-11-04 09:49 PM

Originally posted by weargle
Hahahahahahahahaha snicker snicker

aside: Does a Ph.D. mean that you've had to surrender your fucking common sense when you receive your degree?

Hey now. I don't have that much respect for a doctorate as I think it is proof of endurance, not intelligence, but there's no reason to get nasty.

wendersfan 11-12-04 08:20 AM

I am a Ph.D. I'm not sure if that helps my cause in this instance. :eek:

;)

I know you are; you've got the degree towards which I worked for a while (a Ph.D. in Poli Sci...)

I work with History Ph.Ds, a whole 'nother breed altogether.

DRG 11-12-04 04:01 PM

Things are so partisan now you can't be a fan of a work of art/literature by someone who shares the opposite beliefs as you???

weargle 11-12-04 04:06 PM

Hey now. I don't have that much respect for a doctorate as I think it is proof of endurance, not intelligence, but there's no reason to get nasty.
Remind me to not drink and post and vent about chemistry coworkers ...