DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   Hostage slaughterhouses found (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/395219-hostage-slaughterhouses-found.html)

Pharoh 11-10-04 06:16 PM

Originally posted by bfrank
look we will never agree.

I am trying to understand why. I wil never agree that someone is willing to die to kill me because they "hate freedom".

And where once in all of my time here on this forum have I ever said that?

Seriously, don't patronize my position, or mischaracterise it.

And I will never try to understand a greedy lust for power and domination, acted out through acts of violence against innocents and fueled by the manipulation of a powerless mass marginalised by their own leaders, by their own societies.

dork 11-10-04 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Ranger

There was this interesting cartoon in my paper a couple of years back. It showed a soldier with a big knife that just cut down a big tree labeled al Qaeda, in the next cartoon, five little trees labeled al Qaeda showed up. I think the effective solution is to keep cutting the trees down.

You seem to agree with the premise of the cartoon but still think that's the best solution? Is it the concept of exponential growth that you disagree with? :hscratch:

Or have I misunderstood yet again?

Ranger 11-10-04 06:34 PM

Originally posted by dork
You seem to agree with the premise of the cartoon but still think that's the best solution? Is it the concept of exponential growth that you disagree with? :hscratch:

Well, as I said before the cartoon (which was on my school paper) was two years old, I am pretty sure it was referring to the invasion of Afghanistan. I think weakening al Qaeda there has not been easy, but it has been fairly successful. The cartoon could have been referring to actions in Iraq, but I think time will tell whatever al Qaeda has been weakened there.

I don't disagree with the exponential growth concept, but I am confident their cause will die down eventually. One side will have to give up, and it isn't going to be us.

dork 11-10-04 06:39 PM

Next question: Who cuts down trees with a knife? :confused:

Pharoh 11-10-04 06:41 PM

Next question: Who cuts down trees with a knife? :confused:

Paul Bunyan, USMC.

bfrank 11-10-04 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Pharoh
And where once in all of my time here on this forum have I ever said that?

Seriously, don't patronize my position, or mischaracterise it.

And I will never try to understand a greedy lust for power and domination, acted out through acts of violence against innocents and fueled by the manipulation of a powerless mass marginalised by their own leaders, by their own societies.

Wow - sorry!

I did not mean it in that way. I guess a smile would have helped. I know how you feel and see the logic.

I was only trying to state my position.

You should know I have huge respect for you on this forum. The main reason I discuss issues with you is because of you are willing to hear both sides and then make a logical explaination of the opposing view.

Again sorry :D

Pharoh 11-10-04 08:06 PM

Originally posted by bfrank
Wow - sorry!

I did not mean it in that way. I guess a smile would have helped. I know how you feel and see the logic.

I was only trying to state my position.

You should know I have huge respect for you on this forum. The main reason I discuss issues with you is because of you are willing to hear both sides and then make a logical explaination of the opposing view.

Again sorry :D

And my apologies. End of workday frustration. My bad.

:)

Annoyumous 11-10-04 08:33 PM

Perhaps he believes in the concept of reality over theory. It's like the old story of the rabbit and hound. The rabbit has a head start of x distance, but the hound runs twice as fast. Given the mathematical notion of infinity, I could advance the argument that the hound can never catch up with the rabbit since whatever distance the hound covers over a given period of time - the rabbit has advanced half that distance ahead - and so on and so on and so on infinitesimally. Reality gives us a different result.

DVD Polizei 11-10-04 08:45 PM

I just opened a fresh can of Group Hugs. Let's use them before they go bad.

talemyn 11-10-04 09:20 PM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
I just opened a fresh can of Group Hugs. Let's use them before they go bad.
http://www.mindspring.com/~boycekb/i...s/GroupHug.gif

Th0r S1mpson 11-11-04 01:33 AM

Has anyone heard about these slaughterhouses that were found? Not to distract from the loving group hugs and all... ;)

Mopower 11-11-04 03:06 AM

Man, this assault is awesome. Great move...hope they wipe them out. All of them.