Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Election's over, Where's the 'RatherGate Report?'

Old 11-08-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Election's over, Where's the 'RatherGate Report?'

I know they were worried it would impact the election (for their guy) but he lost anyway.

So where's the freaking report CBS? You were still a party to forgery and fraud. I think you should be criminally prosecuted, but you at least have to say "mea culpa" and explain how the problem is fixed and will "never" happen again. (oh, a segment on 60 Minutes of Rather eatting a crow wouldn't hurt either.)
Old 11-08-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They're waiting for Dan to call Ohio

I think they want to make sure they have all the facts. They are, after all, "accuracy central."
Old 11-08-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Somewhat related: ABC World News Tonight has very recently (at least in the last several weeks) begun using a new motto: "Trust is earned". Gee, I wonder what gave them the idea for that?
Old 11-08-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CBS BREAKING NEWS reporting Dan Rather

Dan Rather: Hi this is Dan Rather.... or as my wife calls me ... the horse. (looks for a chuckle) Well i am still here like food in Rosie O Donnells stomach and we might soon be able to call it, stall and milk it for BUSH in this election. Ohio is soon to go to him... You can call this race over like my career. How about we take some calls

Caller #1: Dan what about those stupid papers to made up... how come we didnt hear about that?

Dan Rather: Umm....And we will be back after these words.
Old 11-08-04, 10:24 AM
Admin-Thanos

I guess this never gets old. Oh you guys.
Old 11-08-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by VinVega
Hey, if they want to run their "news service" like the Weekly World News, fine by me. But I'm going to goof on them all the same, until they give me a reason to take them seriously.

Calling themselves "accuracy central" on election night, a mere two months after running full steam ahead with forged documents, is fall down on the floor funny. Pure comedy gold .

Last edited by nevermind; 11-08-04 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-08-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Well, it has been discussed a few times of this forum.

However, don't you believe that CBS should have some accountability for what has occurred?
Old 11-08-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Is mea culpa" latin or did you mean the italian "mia colpa" ?

Either way, perhaps "ma culpabilité" would be more appropriate in this case.
Old 11-08-04, 12:00 PM
Banned

The question is when will CBS conclude their findings about Bush Nat'l Guard story?
Hey CBS, the election is over a week ago.
Old 11-08-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
You can stick your head up a steer's ass but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.
Old 11-08-04, 12:08 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally posted by classicman2
Well, it has been discussed a few times of this forum.

However, don't you believe that CBS should have some accountability for what has occurred?
What would be the best accountability? Fire Dan Rather? Personally, I don't care. If that'll quiet all this nonsense, then fine. The whole media bias thing is not that big of a deal for me. I use different news sources. I just get a chuckle out of how furious the Right gets over the media.
Old 11-08-04, 12:10 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally posted by weargle
You can stick your head up a steer's ass but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.
[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=tommy+boy/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=12gep3agj/*-http%3A//www.killmytv.com/now/movie_lines/images/tommy_boy_niner_in_there.jpg[/img]
You can stick your head up a butcher's ass....No wait, that's YOUR Bull...

Wow.

Last edited by VinVega; 11-08-04 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk God

The media 'prides itself' on being the guardians of the First Amendment. Often, I believe they think they're the only guardians of the first amendment. The pride themselves on the proposition that they hold the politicians accountable. Maybe they should be held accountable for their actions?
Old 11-08-04, 12:15 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally posted by classicman2
The media 'prides itself' on being the guardians of the First Amendment. Often, I believe they think they're the only guardians of the first amendment. The pride themselves on the proposition that they hold the politicians accountable. Maybe they should be held accountable for their actions?
What does that mean, specifically?
Old 11-08-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

The media should be held accountable for what they report.

That's all it means.
Old 11-08-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
"Is mea culpa" latin or did you mean the italian "mia colpa" ?

Either way, perhaps "ma culpabilité" would be more appropriate in this case.
It's the Latin. Loosely translated: Oops, me bad.
More literally, "my fault"
Old 11-08-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What would be the best accountability? Fire Dan Rather? Personally, I don't care. If that'll quiet all this nonsense, then fine. The whole media bias thing is not that big of a deal for me. I use different news sources. I just get a chuckle out of how furious the Right gets over the media.
I don't know. First they have to report on "what happened." Apparently they were warned off by their experts but proceeded anyway. They need to explain how and why they decided to proceed, what was broken in their process of verifying sources, and how it will be fixed. (Or perhaps admit they plan to broadcast lies that their serve their purpose).

If they agree they were at fault, they need to sort out whether it was an "innocent mistake" (let me make crystal clear I doubt that, but they can try to sell it) or risises to the level of a "firable offence."

There's two kinds of media bias:
*The first is picking what stories to cover/not cover based on agenda, not newsworthiness. Multiple sources handle that as long as the full political spectrum exists (Even liberals need Fox, in other words)
*Lying, fabrication, inneuendo, etc. (In the 50's called McCarthy-ism, which should make anyone in the media cringe).
Old 11-08-04, 01:28 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

"Dan Rather here with breaking news:
OJ finds the real killer. But first, our report on the forged National Guard documents."
Old 11-08-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Someone will get fired. It won't be the person actually to blame, just some lower-echelon flunky. And, oh yeah, we'll probably never hear about.
Old 11-09-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

[Dan Rather]This story may be old, but it still has more legs than the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes tiptoeing across a minefield on a hot summer day in Bermuda[/Dan Rather]

Look, it would be one thing if they'd released the results of their investigation, and folks were simply rehashing this story, but it hasn't even been hashed yet! Here's what has happened to date...

1) CBS News ran the story using what are widely accepted to be falsified documents
2) The documents were immediately questioned
3) CBS News stood by the story and their unimpeachable source
4) The documents continued to be questioned, and the CBS experts started backing away
5) CBS News stood by the story, but started to hedge by saying that even if the documents were false, the story was accurate
6) Everyone but Bigfoot realied that the documents were bogus, and the source was revealed to be Bill Burkett
7) CBS News acknowledged that the documents may have been false, but there would be no internal investigation
8) The credibility of CBS News plummeted
9) Now in damage control mode, CBS News announced that there WOULD be an internal investigation, starting ASAP
10) After a day or two, CBS News announced that the results of the internal investigation would not be released until after the election so as not to affect the election
11) CBS News whistles and stands by idly, hoping that no one will realize that the election has passed and they owe us the results of their investigation

I predict that when they release these "results", it will be something like "CBS News is pleased to report that our internal investigation has concluded and there were no findings of any wrongdoing on the part of CBS News." Of course, until they reveal any results, all we can do is speculate.