Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Isn't this more than a little dramatic? (Atlanta man commits suicide at ground zero)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Isn't this more than a little dramatic? (Atlanta man commits suicide at ground zero)

Old 11-07-04, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Isn't this more than a little dramatic?

Suicide over Bush

I could see an ardent Kerry supporter committing suicide over the Bush victory, but doing it at 9/11 Ground Zero??? Smacks of being way too dramatic and selfish to me. I mean I'm not trying to talk down the tragic loss...its tragic whenever someone commits suicide for any reason, but what was travelling all the way to Ground Zero from Georgia going to accomplish? I don't know, perhaps he viewed 9/11 as the Bush strength Kerry could never get past to win?
Old 11-07-04, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I feel bad for his family, but still it doesn't make a point save for the fact that some people are...crazy.

I liked this line..."This election is devastating to all who believe in democracy."

I thought democracy was letting the voters decide. I guess democracy actually means "democrats win".
Old 11-07-04, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel the same way. I feel really bad for anyone involved...family, friends, etc. My point isnt to insult or make fun of the situation and I apologize if my initial post came off that way. When I read this article I was just so confused, wondering why the motive was for using Ground Zero. Obviously the reason for the suicide was Bush winning, but if he was so adament to protesting Bush all the way to the point of killing himself why use Ground Zero? To many, even non Bush voters Ground Zero would symbolize the high point of the Bush presidency i.e. his leadership after the 9/11 tragedy. If he was somehow protesting Bush why not do it in Crawford, or outside the White House, outside his local Republican party office, something like that instead of Ground Zero.
Old 11-07-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

As someone who, unfortunately, has delt with people who were suicidal - I can guarantee you that while Bush's victory may have been the trigger, it was not the underlying cause.
Old 11-07-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah. If it wasn't this, it would have been something else.
Old 11-07-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by General Zod
As someone who, unfortunately, has delt with people who were suicidal - I can guarantee you that while Bush's victory may have been the trigger, it was not the underlying cause.
Yes, I'll go with profound mental illness.
Old 11-07-04, 01:27 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

If not Bush's victory, it would have been because it was cloded that day or there was too much traffic, etc....
Old 11-07-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another visitor to Ground Zero, Arushi Raval, 34, a businesswoman who lives in Chelsea, said Veal might have been active in campaigning for Kerry, only to taste defeat.

"Maybe he felt ineffective," she said of the victim. "You feel ineffective if you tried and it all failed.
I'd bet dollars to donuts he was a huge Howard Dean fanatic just eight months ago.
Old 11-07-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BigPete
I'd bet dollars to donuts he was a huge Howard Dean fanatic just eight months ago.
YEEEEHAAAAA!

Howard Dean supporter and suicidal seem to fit. I'm really tired of all this stuff. You don't like the Republicans start trying to change things. You have to start in your own community and its not easy, but killing yourself or leaving the country is just a way of letting your enemies win.
Old 11-07-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by General Zod
Absolutely true. It is much more likely that Bush's election was something that made it "more significant" the the person. Definately mentally ill.
Old 11-07-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe Iím just insensitive to this sort of thing (it might be the job) but to me this seems to be a case of adding chlorine to the gene pool. (BTW I would say the same thing if a conservative killed him self over a Kerry win, what a melodramatic boob)
Old 11-08-04, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah.... i think they need to find out the real reason why the guy decided to kill himself...

Originally posted by jaeufraser

I guess democracy actually means "democrats win".
Plus what Jaeufraser said was so true.....
Old 11-08-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bush is clearly at fault for this. He should be impeached.
Old 11-08-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BigPete

...and a member of the Democratic Underground.

Last edited by Manco; 11-08-04 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Manco
...and a member of the Democratic Underground.
...and will vote Democratic in the 2008 election.
Old 11-08-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Were his last words "So enjoy your up close and personal view of the great demise of America. I won't be hear to watch it fall." ?
Old 11-08-04, 08:24 PM
Suspended

Dumbass.
Old 11-09-04, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i am really sad that someone died for this but i really think he needed help prior to this incident

His family and friends should have helped him instead of blaming Bush...