Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Machine Error Gives Bush Extra Ohio Votes

Old 11-05-04, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

Machine Error Gives Bush Extra Ohio Votes

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...oting_problems
COLUMBUS, Ohio - An error with an electronic voting system gave President Bush (news - web sites) 3,893 extra votes in suburban Columbus, elections officials said.

Franklin County's unofficial results had Bush receiving 4,258 votes to Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites)'s 260 votes in a precinct in Gahanna. Records show only 638 voters cast ballots in that precinct. Bush's total should have been recorded as 365.

Bush won the state by more than 136,000 votes, according to unofficial results, and Kerry conceded the election on Wednesday after saying that 155,000 provisional ballots yet to be counted in Ohio would not change the result.

Deducting the erroneous Bush votes from his total could not change the election's outcome, and there were no signs of other errors in Ohio's electronic machines, said Carlo LoParo, spokesman for Ohio Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell.

[more]

From Yahoo's front page
Old 11-05-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Recount!
Old 11-05-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And this is relevant how?
Old 11-05-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Minor Threat
Becuase if it could happen one place, it could have happened across the entire state and they're just covering the rest up and using this one as a disctraction from the overall right-wing conspiracy that falsified more than 200,000 votes.

It's just more ammunition for people who already hate Bush to turn up the steam in their heads.
Old 11-05-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If one reads the whole article, and doesn't just obsess over a few choice sentences, it proves Bush won Ohio fair and square.
Old 11-05-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Case in point...
Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Becuase if it could happen one place, it could have happened across the entire state and they're just covering the rest up and using this one as a disctraction from the overall right-wing conspiracy that falsified more than 200,000 votes.

It's just more ammunition for people who already hate Bush to turn up the steam in their heads.
Deducting the erroneous Bush votes from his total could not change the election's outcome, and there were no signs of other errors in Ohio's electronic machines, said Carlo LoParo, spokesman for Ohio Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell.
Old 11-05-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
If one reads the whole article, and doesn't just obsess over a few choice sentences, it proves Bush won Ohio fair and square.
Exactly.......
Old 11-05-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

This all kind of reminds me of the end of Trading Places where the guy is screaming "This is outrageous! I demand an investigation! Get those people back in here!! Turn those machines back on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 11-05-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by General Zod
This all kind of reminds me of the end of Trading Places where the guy is screaming "This is outrageous! I demand an investigation! Get those people back in here!! Turn those machines back on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Lately your movie and TV references have been spot on!
Old 11-05-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 11-05-04, 03:18 PM
Banned

fine, give Kerry 4000 or so votes
Old 11-05-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Your brother is having a heart attack!"

"Fuck Him!!"
Old 11-05-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
yet we'll hear that bush stole this election too. and isn't it true that if ohio went kerry bush still had over 270 EC votes?
that said, I still don't like electronic voting machines. I guess they'd be ok if they printed out each vote as it was made onto a receipt roll like a cash register. then the machine could be looked at for the final vote tally but there'd be a record that could be checked if needed since it'd be easy to hack it to display a wrong final count

Last edited by mikehunt; 11-05-04 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-05-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

without ohio he would have ended up with 266
Old 11-05-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe because that wasn't the last election that this country is ever going to hold?
Old 11-05-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jeremy517
Maybe because that wasn't the last election that this country is ever going to hold?
I guess I should have broken my comment down a little further to include it's sarchastic tone and relevance to the current election results......
Old 11-05-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I should have broken my comment down a little further to include it's sarchastic tone and relevance to the current election results......
Considering that it mentions twice that the outcome will not be changed, I think you're being a little defensive.
Old 11-05-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh...........you're probably right.....
Old 11-05-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup. But that doesn't mean that when people want to bash Bush they won't selectively pull out this fact instead of the whole article.

Yes, there is an obvious answer: so what, Bush won any way.

But when they can pull out this fact, and another selected fact, and yet another, you will realize that Bush really stole the election, even though none of the facts on their own make a bit of difference until you stir them up in your mind and arrange them into a beautiful platter of opposition.

That's why Bush "lied" to the American people. That's why Kerry was "unfit" for command. That's why people can look at the same numbers and call this either the greatest number of votes a president has received or the slimmest margin in modern history and find some kind of solace in that fact.
Old 11-05-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
thanks. for some reason I thought I had heard that bush had barely enough without ohio.

Originally posted by Venusian
without ohio he would have ended up with 266
Old 11-05-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No way.... just give kerry the 4000 votes and he would still be down 140,000 votes.... not to mention the absentee ballots....

I hope the democrats wont cry foul on this... its pointless..... its over....
Old 11-05-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by raven56706
And, it looks like it just got a little more "over."

According to the latest tally at cspan.org, the margin of Bush's national popular vote victory has increased:

Name   Party  Votes       Pct &nbsp ;Electoral Votes  States Won
Bush   Rep    56,834,641  52   286               31
Kerry  Dem    52,166,068  47   252 &nbsp ;            20
Old 11-05-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RoboDad
And, it looks like it just got a little more "over."

According to the latest tally at cspan.org, the margin of Bush's national popular vote victory has increased:

Name   Party  Votes       Pct &nbsp ;Electoral Votes  States Won
Bush   Rep    56,834,641  52   286               31
Kerry  Dem    52,166,068  47   252 &nbsp ;            20

And stop it Thor, you make my head hurt.
Old 11-05-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by raven56706
No way.... just give kerry the 4000 votes and he would still be down 140,000 votes.... not to mention the absentee ballots....

Is anyone reading the article, or just being defensive for no reason?

The machine gave Bush votes, it didn't take any away from Kerry. I think bfrank posted this because it shows some unreliability in our voting methods, not because it shows "Bush stole the election."

With reports like this one and other voting problems, I would hope this drives the government to make a better voting system.

But oh no, everything not pro-Bush must be anti-Bush around here.
Old 11-05-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And stop it Thor, you make my head hurt.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.