Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Students at Colo. High School Protest Bush

Old 11-05-04, 10:41 AM
Admin-Thanos

Students at Colo. High School Protest Bush

Yahoo Story
BOULDER, Colo. - About 85 high school students upset about the nation's direction were camping out in the school library, demanding an audience with Republican leaders.

Students began their protest Thursday and school officials said they could stay through Friday when representatives of their Democratic congressman, U.S. Rep. Mark Udall (news, bio, voting record), and U.S. Senator-elect Ken Salazar, were expected to visit.

The students said they also wanted to meet with thier superintendent's representatives along with Republicans Gov. Bill Owens and U.S. Rep. Marilyn Musgrave (news, bio, voting record).

Some of the students left telephone messages with Republican leaders.

"We want them to reassure us that our fears are misguided and that the government is doing everything in its power to prevent our futures from being destroyed," said senior Brian Martens, who wore a hand-lettered T-shirt which said he was the "senior executive of the subcommittee on protesting stuff."

Students said they are not protesting the election, but are worried about the national debt, military recruitment in schools and the environment.
Old 11-05-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Boy, I hope this wins a few votes for Kerry.
Old 11-05-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"senior executive of the subcommittee on protesting stuff."
where is that thread about kids being informed or naive?
Old 11-05-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

where is that thread about kids being informed or naive?
What, you think senior executive of the subcommittee on protesting stuff." is a serious title? it's obviously an attempt at humor.

Students said they are not protesting the election, but are worried about the national debt, military recruitment in schools and the environment.
Well good for them then. If this was whiney THE ELECTION IS A FRAUD stuff, I'd be like fuck them, but this is a little better.
Old 11-05-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

a tiny bit better, but there is definitely a better way to be heard than to protest in a high school.
Old 11-05-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i've been to colorado around 1 hour away from boulder. if the kids are worried about the environment, they need to tell their parents to buy cars that are a little more fuel efficient. only thing i saw there were trucks and SUV's.

being from NYC i was walking to different places from my hotel that were within 20 minutes walking distance. everyone looked at me from their cars like i was a loon.
Old 11-05-04, 10:57 AM

I've seen similar protests during my drive past the U of MN on my daily commute.
Old 11-05-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It wouldn't be Austin without a protest:
11/03/04 - 10:25 pm
Protestors Gather Downtown Against War, Election Results

Hundreds of people marched in downtown Austin Wednesday afternoon in protest of the presidential election results and of the war in Iraq.

ABout 300 to 400 people made their way from the Capitol to the Congress Avenue Bridge in what turned out to be a peaceful march.

At first, Austin Police presence outnumbered the demonstrators with dozens of officers standing by to block off traffic and keep the crowd in line. Little by little the crowd grew from a dozen to nearly 400.

"I'm out here to protest the war and make sure Bush does the right thing," demonstrator Heather Darden said.

Those armed with signs in hands gathered downtown for many reasons -- some wanting an end to the war while others were questioning the presidential voting process.

"Everybody in this country voted the way they felt, and they deserve to have their votes counted we need to know for sure what the outcome was," demonstrator Jim Simons said.

THe crowd slowly started to move down the street to the Congress Avenue Bridge in the middle of rush hour traffic frustrating many drivers.

The last major group to march down to the Congress Avenue Bridge didn't leave peacefully holding a sit in.

Austin Police armed in riot gear and pepper spray removed the crowd after nearly an hour.

This time around it was a much different scene with protestors crowding on the sidewalk holding candles in silence.

Austin was one of 30 cities nationwide to hold a demonstration.
http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp...6&nav=0s3dSjwd
Old 11-05-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quit protesting.
You're the 'youth of today,' the 'hope of tomorrow.' You're supposed to be so smart, come up with some ideas/suggestions rather than constantly complaining.
Military recruitment in schools? Do they want more of it? I didn't know the military had 'sign up now' booths at schools. I've seen them a job fairs, but, well, it's a job, and fits there.
Environment? How many of them drove their own cars to school, rather carpooling or riding the bus or walking/biking? 'Act locally' indeed.
"We want be to reassured the government will take care of us." :roll:

Protesting the results? MANY MANY votes were counted. More than ever before. The only ones that haven't been counted--yet, but will be--are some provisionals which won't affect the presidency, and lots of military ballots.
Old 11-05-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally, I find this to be the more naive statement:

"We want them to reassure us that our fears are misguided and that the government is doing everything in its power to prevent our futures from being destroyed," said senior Brian Martens . . ."

I appreciate their concern and that they are showing an interest, but the idea that the best way to handle this is to have their congressional representatives need to take a break to come down to their school and address the personally is where I think the naivite comes into play . . .
Old 11-05-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Babies.
Old 11-05-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In a related story, my protest over Sheila Jackson Lee's re-election was not a success. My gf asked me to leave the living room after about 15 minutes.
Old 11-05-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mad Dawg
In a related story, my protest over Sheila Jackson Lee's re-election was not a success. My gf asked me to leave the living room after about 15 minutes.
don't let the MAN hold you down!!! dead weight! dead weight!
Old 11-05-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hell No! I Won't Go!

Of course, your gf has even more control of your personal life than the government, so I can see why'd you listen
Old 11-05-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And in related news the kids are refusing to disband the protest unless their school lunches now include a non-meat/non-hormonal/non-steroidal entre selection and and a special "bud" brownie for dessert.....
Old 11-05-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Minor Threat
And in related news the kids are refusing to disband the protest unless their school lunches now include a non-meat/non-hormonal/non-steroidal entre selection and and a special "bud" brownie for dessert.....
Old 11-05-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some people should dress up in army-suits and tell the students they're being drafted and sent to iraq.
Old 11-05-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Venusian
a tiny bit better, but there is definitely a better way to be heard than to protest in a high school.
well, they'll be meeting with a US Rep and a Senator-elect...I'd say it's working out pretty nicely for them
Old 11-05-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Man, I love a good protest. It's like driving through a liberal safari.

"Roll up the windows, kids....the smell is awful."
Old 11-05-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dear Boulder HS kids,

Regards,

Iron Chef
Old 11-05-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Iron Chef
Dear Boulder HS kids,

Regards,

Iron Chef
Old 11-05-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mmm.. special brownies.
Old 11-05-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BizRodian
What, you think senior executive of the subcommittee on protesting stuff." is a serious title? it's obviously an attempt at humor.

Yeah, I think the joke was obvious (and funny).
Old 11-05-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Iron Chef
Dear Boulder HS kids,

Regards,

Iron Chef

Old 11-05-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great gif!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.