Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

How did Howard Stern take the news?

Old 11-05-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How did Howard Stern take the news?

I haven't listened to Stern since his great whinefest began shortly after the Superbowl, so I'm curious to see how he reacted to Bush's re-election.

Obviously he can't admit that his ability to deliver the stupid vote failed, so is he entertaining tin-foil hat conspiracy theories or has he been thoroughly distracted by the Sirius deal?
Old 11-05-04, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk God

I would be he doesn't care now that the Sirius deal is done.
Old 11-05-04, 02:55 AM
Banned

I heard his show this morning. Didn't seem peeved or disappointed at all, no whining. Mentioned that Bush's win will only help him when he goes to Sirius. Then it was on to talking about dumb celebrities and strippers.
Old 11-05-04, 04:08 AM
Banned

He said on election day that it would be his last day of having politics on the show.

Wednesday I could understand but he was still bitching on Thursday.

"Wah! Waah!" as Artie Lang would say.
Old 11-05-04, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He said he'll do fine. He'll get the tax cuts, he doesn't have to worry about abortion, and he's also not draft eligible. He's pretty concerned though like many people. I have to agree with him.
Old 11-05-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Didn't some say that Howard Stern was going to be a big factor in the election?

Are those the same people that said Michael Moore was going to be a big factor in the election?
Old 11-05-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He didn't give a shit about Kerry or democrats or anything else, the only thing he wanted to do was stroke his ego by affecting the outcome of a presidential election. He shot himself in the foot by making the Sirius announcement before the election, effectively telling his audience that it no longer mattered who was elected because he was jumping ship.
Old 11-05-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Michael Ballack
He said he'll do fine. He'll get the tax cuts, he doesn't have to worry about abortion, and he's also not draft eligible. He's pretty concerned though like many people. I have to agree with him.
If Kerry had won, he would still got his tax cuts.

Apparently he doesn't realize it takes congress to raise taxes.

His other two concerns abortion and the draft are so silly - again he's simply in touch with reality.
Old 11-05-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by classicman2

I think he helped in PA. I think he helped in OH. Look at the turnout from the Metro areas (where he has affiliates) in those states - much higher than last time. Unfortunately for him and Kerry, the GOP did a fantastic job in rallying their folks outside the Metro areas in OH.

Regardless, kvrdave is correct.

Speaking of Stern, anyone see the E! show last night with the Playmate he 'discovered.' Wow.
Old 11-05-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Are there any states in which you believe he hurt?
Old 11-05-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Are there any states in which you believe he hurt?

Not really. He doesn't have many affiliates in swing states.
Old 11-05-04, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Speaking of Stern, anyone see the E! show last night with the Playmate he 'discovered.' Wow.
Yes I did.
Old 11-05-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

The people that might be swayed by Stern weren't going to vote for Bush in the first place.

A television evangelist most likely influenced the outcome the election more than Howard Stern did.
Old 11-05-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

The people that might be swayed by Stern weren't going to vote for Bush in the first place.

A television evangelist most likely influenced the outcome the election more than Howard Stern did.

Stern has the ability to expand the vote. A lot of people who listen to Stern don't regularly vote, but they will if Stern implores them to. Why do you think political figures such as Guiliani, Whitman, and Pataki went on his show close to election time in past elections. They are certainly not there to discuss farting and strippers.
Old 11-05-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk God

exposure

Do you believe that, say, Pat Robertson affected this election more than Howard Stern?

Maybe even Benny Hinn?

Or even Paul Crouch?

Old 11-05-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk God

exposure

Do you believe that, say, Pat Robertson affected this election more than Howard Stern?

Maybe even Benny Hinn?

Or even Paul Crouch?

I'm sure they had some effect. I don't listen to them so I can't really comment on how much effect they have now can I? Kind of like you with Stern. However if I were to guess, the people who listen to these program already vote very regularly. Far different situation than with Stern.
Old 11-05-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't listen to Stern.

I follow the admonition of The Apostle Paul: When I was a child, I spoke of childish things, but now.........

Old 11-05-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't listen to Stern.

I follow the admonition of The Apostle Paul: When I was a child, I spoke of childish things, but now.........

Paul would be singing a different tune had he heard some of the great lesbian stories described on Stern.
Old 11-05-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He has 2 affiliates in Florida, that I know, in Orlando, and down near Miami. And both of those areas skewed slightly towards Kerry. However, they couldn't make up for the rest of the state, like the upper panhandle, which went heavily toward Bush.

I'd actually like to see a map of his coverage area overlaid over the county-by county vote map. Might be interesting.

-Jason
Old 11-05-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are those the same people that said Michael Moore was going to be a big factor in the election?
I think Howard Stern and Michael Moore said that. I'm a liberal and I knew they were both wrong. Preaching to the choir doesn't change anything.
Old 11-05-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think both Moore and Stern were factors. Its simple - voter turnout bursts just don't happen on their own. They are prompted - be it by the newspapers, the TV shows, the radio shows.

The problem is that the right also managed to effect turnout. I credit Stern and Moore as much as i credit the Swift Boat guys and Sean Hannity.
Old 11-05-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Moore and Stern motivated more people to vote for Bush than Kerry. From what I have read the youth vote (under 25) failed to show up, that was a major target demo of both men.

The war and 911 had more to do with voter turnout than any partisan activity on either side.