DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   Non-Presidential post election wrap-up (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/394344-non-presidential-post-election-wrap-up.html)

Pharoh 11-04-04 06:33 PM

Non-Presidential post election wrap-up

Thought all of the non-Presidential stuff could go in here.

Such as: Who is going to win all of the leadership positions in the new Congress?

We already know one, pro-life Democrat Harry Reid will take over as the minority leader in the Senate.

Any other news or guesses?

What happened to the Dems in the Legislative races? They sure as hell still don't know.

I did find some good news for them though from election night.

nevermind 11-04-04 06:39 PM

Which state wants Alan Keyes?

I want him out of mine. :D

Pharoh 11-04-04 07:44 PM

An interesting battle is shaping up in the Senate for the chairman position of NRSC, currently held by Senator Allen. The two candidates are Norm Coleman and Elizabeth Dole. Given how successful Mr. Allen was in this position, it will be very interesting to see if either of the aforementioned candidates will be able to come close to that success. My money is on Mr. Coleman at this point.

VinVega 11-04-04 08:07 PM

It's pretty clear that the Dems got their asses handed to them in Congress. Bush certainly had very long coat tails. The interesting question will be how conservative will the nominees for judicial appointments be from Bush? Will he tone it down a touch, or push the petal to the metal? How obstructionist can the Dems afford to be this time around?

kvrdave 11-04-04 08:14 PM

Who is the Govenor of Washington going to be?

Venusian 11-04-04 08:57 PM

a pro-life democratic leader? interesting

classicman2 11-04-04 09:51 PM

The House Republican leadership will not change.

I see no change in the House Democratic leadership.

I seen no changes in the committee chairmen in the House.

I know of no other chairman in the Senate (other than Hatch) who is 'term-limited.'

It will be interesting to see who replaces Don Nickles as the Senate Budget Committee Chairman.

classicman2 11-05-04 10:33 AM

Apparently there's going to be a contest for the Senate Minority Whip post. It's reported that both Byron Dorgan & Dick Durbin will seek the post. I would imagine the new Senate Minority Leader, Harry Reid, would prefer Dorgan.

natesfortune 11-05-04 11:45 AM

A big battle coming?

Conservatives all across the country are calling their Senators and/or Frist to try to get them to break tradition and NOT put Specter up as Chairman of the Judiciary Committe, because of his threats yesterday about blocking Bush's judges.

Specter is a very liberal Republican, and bragged about "voting with Kerry 70% - 80% of the time" in his campaign in Pennsylvania this time around, and he did not help campaign for Bush AT ALL there.

Why reward this guy, who we'd be stuck with - the guy who helped block Bork in the eighties?

There's a big movement getting underway to keep him out, and I hope the Republicans do so.

Even if he got angry and switched parties, Republicans still have enough of a majority for it to be well worth it. A powerless Specter is absolutely worth a Senate seat - and many Republicans were actually rooting for his defeat on election night, especially when it became clear they were going to pick up quite a few Senate seats.

Pharoh 11-05-04 11:52 AM

Originally posted by classicman2
Apparently there's going to be a contest for the Senate Minority Whip post. It's reported that both Byron Dorgan & Dick Durbin will seek the post. I would imagine the new Senate Minority Leader, Harry Reid, would prefer Dorgan.

I told you there were some leadership positions up for grabs.
:)

Mr. Reid may prefer Mr. Dorgan, but the rest of the party leadership most certainly does not want another Red State Senator, one from such a small state, to occupy that post. Durbin will get the gig.

classicman2 11-05-04 11:55 AM

Why go to all through all that?

BTW: Specter might actually win a caucus vote if he were challenged.

As I previously said - ask Charles Grassley (loyal party man) to relinquish his finance committee chairmanship and take the judiciary committee chairmanship.

You don't have to go all through this hassle.

Pharoh,

Obviously there was going to be the whip job open since Reid moved up. :)

Venusian 11-05-04 11:56 AM

so anyone want to explain the rules/customs of committee chairmanships to us lay folk?

Pharoh 11-05-04 12:02 PM

Originally posted by natesfortune
A big battle coming?

Conservatives all across the country are calling their Senators and/or Frist to try to get them to break tradition and NOT put Specter up as Chairman of the Judiciary Committe, because of his threats yesterday about blocking Bush's judges.

Specter is a very liberal Republican, and bragged about "voting with Kerry 70% - 80% of the time" in his campaign in Pennsylvania this time around, and he did not help campaign for Bush AT ALL there.

Why reward this guy, who we'd be stuck with - the guy who helped block Bork in the eighties?

There's a big movement getting underway to keep him out, and I hope the Republicans do so.

Even if he got angry and switched parties, Republicans still have enough of a majority for it to be well worth it. A powerless Specter is absolutely worth a Senate seat - and many Republicans were actually rooting for his defeat on election night, especially when it became clear they were going to pick up quite a few Senate seats.

As C-Man pointed out, the only one who could derail Specter's expected Chairmanship is Senator Grassley. There will be no other manner in which he does not receive the post.

The latest I've heard is that there is going to be a rather concrete quid pro quo. Specter gets the job and he agrees to support all of the nominees put forward. I believe this is what will happen. NOt certain if Mr. Specter will follow through.

C-Man,

I know. I was trying to state the obvious.

BTW, hear any of the names bandied about to be the new head of the DNC?
:lol:

classicman2 11-05-04 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Venusian
so anyone want to explain the rules/customs of committee chairmanships to us lay folk?
seniority

A member can't be chairman of more than one of the major committees

not custom - rules of the Republican caucus

committee chairman & the Republican whip are term-limited

classicman2 11-05-04 12:07 PM

The problem with Specter is that if he decides to vote against the nominee (he hasn't done so in the past, but now he may be feeling his oats ;)), that would create a tie in the committee, and only the chairman would have the decision as to whether the nomination should be sent to the floor or not. In almost all cases, nominations that are defeated in committee don't go to the floor. On most of the cases where there is a tie, the nomination doesn't go to the floor. Exceptions occurred when Joe Biden (D/DE) was chairman. Even though there were ties in the committee, he allowed some to go to the floor, because he felt the nominee deserved an up or down vote.

As I've said before - Biden was the most fair judiciary chairman I've ever seen.

natesfortune 11-05-04 12:15 PM

What about this idea, from National Revew's "The Corner"?

THE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE [Jonathan H. Adler]
In seeking to ensure a Judiciary Committee that is more friendly to President Bush's nominees, I would argue conservatives should pay attention to the party balance on the committee.A 55-44 Senate majority is ample justification for shifting the committee balance from 10-9 to 11-8. If there is a contested nomination, this change could be more important than having a different Chairman. If Senator Specter were to vote against a nominee, that nominee would fail in committee no matter who is Chairman. Yet if the committee were 11-8, such a defection would not stop committee approval of a contested nominee.
Posted at 11:37 AM
The Corner is up in arms over Specter - they are relating many, many stories there about his shenanigans over the years.

Pharoh 11-05-04 12:20 PM

Originally posted by natesfortune
What about this idea, from National Revew's "The Corner"?

The Corner is up in arms over Specter - they are relating many, many stories there about his shenanigans over the years.

I am not saying they shouldn't be. I agree, and I have indicated my disdain for him many times on these forums.

However, this huge movement is not coming from within the beltway. Only Senator Grassley can prevent him from becoming the Chairman.

I also don't think the 11-8 thing will fly.

classicman2 11-05-04 12:25 PM

As I've previously said, even though Specter (as chairman) voted against the nominee in committe, and that resulted in a tie, he could still send the nomination to the floor for a vote. It's been done a number of times.

classicman2 11-05-04 12:27 PM

Add to that - Specter was chastized yesterday by the Senate Majority Leader.

Senators don't like to incur the wrath of the Senate Majority Leader. There are reprecussions if you get him angry. Even the good doctor can get angry. ;)

natesfortune 11-05-04 12:28 PM

Originally posted by classicman2
As I've previously said, even though Specter (as chairman) voted against the nominee in committe, and that resulted in a tie, he could still send the nomination to the floor for a vote. It's been done a number of times.
Do you actually think Specter would send a nominee he voted against to the floor anyway?

classicman2 11-05-04 12:36 PM

If he wants to get any of his sponsored legislation to the floor of the Senate, he might very well do it.

The Senate Majority Leader is, by far, the most powerful office in the congress.

Pharoh 11-08-04 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Pharoh
I told you there were some leadership positions up for grabs.

Mr. Reid may prefer Mr. Dorgan, but the rest of the party leadership most certainly does not want another Red State Senator, one from such a small state, to occupy that post. Durbin will get the gig.

As predicted, Mr. Durbin has publicly announced that he has the support of a majority of his party. He will be the new Democratic whip in the 109th Congress. There will be no divisive battle for this post.

Venusian 11-08-04 03:09 PM

can't the majority leader call for an up/down vote without committee reccomendation?

i heard somewhere that the committee chair position is voted on by a secret ballot among the caucus. is that true? i think the radio said it

Pharoh 11-08-04 03:12 PM

Senator Specter on Sunday again pledged to move quickly on all of the President's judicial nominees, and that he would not use Roe as any type of litmus test.

Also last week, there was absolutely no movement coming out of the Republican Conference in opposition to Senator Specter attaining the chairmanship. Senator Grassley is not giving up his gig on the Finance committee. The only person who could now oppose Mr. Specter is Senator Santorum. He will not.

Venusian 11-08-04 03:43 PM

why did he block bork in the 80s?