Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Jon Stewart in bad mood.

Old 11-04-04, 02:37 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Jon Stewart in bad mood.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/goss...p-213612c.html

No kidding, Stewart down over vote

It was a party but hardly a celebration for Jon Stewart of Comedy Central's 'Daily Show.'

President Bush managed to wipe the smirk off Jon Stewart's face - at least for one night.
Having voted for Sen. John Kerry, America's most-trusted name in fake news couldn't conceal his disappointment Tuesday night when he arrived at Comedy Central's "Indecision 2004" party at The Park.

Despite the twinkling donkey-and-elephant-shaped disco balls, "spin-control" roulette wheels with Bush and Kerry's faces, and adoring girls in torn-up "Daily Show" T-shirts, the comic stayed only for a few minutes at the party.

"He's in a really bad mood," one "Daily Show" correspondent told a young staffer.

"Why?" asked the dim minion.

The correspondent pointed to a TV screen with the election returns.

Stewart had suggested last week that Bush, rather than Kerry, would give his show more material. But "Daily Show" correspondent Steven Colbert told us: "It's not worth it. I'd happily be dull for four years instead."

"They haven't counted California yet," his Pollyanna-ish colleague Rob Corddry offered. "Kerry's kickin' ass!"

Last edited by bhk; 11-04-04 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-04-04, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Old 11-04-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was a great show last night, though. One of the reasons I really respect Stewart is that he "gets" it. A day after the election, he was talking about shifts the Democratic Party needs to make and that this "most of America agrees with us; we just need to get our message out" stuff isn't going to fly anymore. While it appears so many are in denial, he saw the writing on the wall and is already talking about it.

das
Old 11-04-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Never mind...
Old 11-04-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by das Monkey
It was a great show last night, though. One of the reasons I really respect Stewart is that he "gets" it. A day after the election, he was talking about shifts the Democratic Party needs to make and that this "most of America agrees with us; we just need to get our message out" stuff isn't going to fly anymore. While it appears so many are in denial, he saw the writing on the wall and is already talking about it.

das

48% of us agree. Its not like we're a 20% minority. Stop with the hogwash.
Old 11-04-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• CRM114 •

Give me a call when 48% equals most. The more you (and the party) continue to dismiss logic as hogwash, the more likely we'll see another Republican President in '08.

das
Old 11-04-04, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

das, if there was a candidate with even bit of charisma this would have went the other way. There was no one voting for Kerry, they were all voting against Bush. Say if Clinton was running - Bush would have lost big, right?

However I guess I get your point. Next time will not be about ABB and the dems have no winning message.
Old 11-04-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CRM114

You are assuming that all 48% who voted for Kerry agreed with the Democratic party... I'll bet that there was a good portion of that who simply didn't want to see Bush re-elected but don't necessarily agree with the Democratic Party agenda. (Of course we'll never know what that breakdown is)
Old 11-04-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And that's 48% of those who voted, which, while quite high, was still only 60% or so of those who could vote [IIRC.] So more accurately, 24% of 'Amercia" agrees with them. 40% don't care enough either way to bother voting [or are not eligible to vote].
Old 11-04-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stewart should be thrilled. He's got four more years of great material to work with.

The Kerry="zombie" schtick would have gotten old really fast.
Old 11-04-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by bfrank
das, if there was a candidate with even bit of charisma this would have went the other way. There was no one voting for Kerry, they were all voting against Bush. Say if Clinton was running - Bush would have lost big, right?

However I guess I get your point. Next time will not be about ABB and the dems have no winning message.
Count bfrank in with the "doesn't yet get it" crowd

Kerry was nominated based on "electability". Kerry handled the debates.

I liked John Stewart. Pull up the bootstraps and keep at it. At least he isn't ready to move, or blaming Diebold, etc. His side lost, and he is evaluating why, and not blaming external reasons.
Old 11-04-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• bfrank •

Maybe, but it's hard to say. The message (other than "Bush sucks") was so muddled that I don't know how much Kerry himself was the problem or if he was just the face of the problem. He was chosen to be their candidate. Clinton had charisma, but he also had a platform on which he ran. It's hard to separate one from the other and assert that someone with charisma but no solid message would have as much success. This election is skewed, though, because as you note, you have ABB. A tuna sandwhich could get 40% of the vote on that alone. 4 years from now, however, it won't be in play.

das
Old 11-04-04, 03:10 PM

Bringing up Clinton is a red herring. A guy like Clinton comes along once every 30 or 40 years. Most of the time we're stuck with candidates like Bob Dole and Mike Dukakis...
Old 11-04-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Give me a call when 48% equals most. The more you (and the party) continue to dismiss logic as hogwash, the more likely we'll see another Republican President in '08.

das
Sorry. But cow-towing to the religious right and moral south is not what the party needs. If it means another Repub president, so be it. They will over step their bounds and the moderates will wake the fuck up. Trust me.
Old 11-04-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by wendersfan
Bringing up Clinton is a red herring. A guy like Clinton comes along once every 30 or 40 years. Most of the time we're stuck with candidates like Bob Dole and Mike Dukakis...
Ouch. That is very true.
Old 11-04-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

for all his charisma clinton could never even get half the voters to vote for him. if it wasn't for perot, clinton would still be in arkansas.
Old 11-04-04, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by CRM114
Sorry. But cow-towing to the religious right and moral south is not what the party needs. If it means another Repub president, so be it. They will over step their bounds and the moderates will wake the fuck up. Trust me.
Do you realize how condescending it sounds when you say "wake the fuck up" and you mean "decide to think like me for a change"?
Old 11-04-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't get me wrong. The Dems need to change up their message a bit (or get one that is lucid). but suddenly walking around and kissing the ass of the religious right isn't the answer.
Old 11-04-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by wendersfan
Do you realize how condescending it sounds when you say "wake the fuck up" and you mean "decide to think like me for a change"?
Like 48% of the country.

Lets see how far the GOP takes this "mandate." Start tampering with the wrong liberties and yes, the moderates will wake the fuck up. they are all wandering around thinking it will be business as usual. It just might me but lets wait and see what these guys have planned.
Old 11-04-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• CRM114 •

Who said anything about the "religious right" and the "moral south"

das
Old 11-04-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who said anything about the "religious right" and the "moral south"

das
Just about every analyst and even Nancy Pelosi was out there groveling to the religious voter that gave her party the cold shoulder.
Old 11-04-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't catch the show, but Stewart didn't hide his disappointment very well at the 9:00PM teaser for last nights show. And it sounds like he was talking about how they could 'fix things' to get the right outcome. Have they finally given up the facade that they are balanced?
Old 11-04-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Clinton had charisma, but he also had a platform on which he ran. It's hard to separate one from the other and assert that someone with charisma but no solid message would have as much success.
Problem with that argument is that our current president won for entirely that reason in 2000.

Bush's 2000 platform was a muddled mess and he won the election strictly because a lot of people felt he had more charisma than Gore.

Nobody equated Bush to his platform in 2000. They just equated him to the guy down the bar from them.
Old 11-04-04, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by wmansir
Have they finally given up the facade that they are balanced?
What facade? They've never pretended to be balanced! It's a comedy show, not a news show.
Old 11-04-04, 03:34 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Watching the news people on the various networks going from being elated to being depressed over the course of a few hours on Tue was much better comedy.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.