Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Mark Morford's post-election thoughts

Old 11-04-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Mark Morford's post-election thoughts

This ought to spark some discussion. I've been reading this guy for about a year. Great writer, heavily leaning left. Thought I'd throw it out there.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...304.DTL&nl=fix

This election's outcome, this heartbreaking proof of a nation split more deeply and decisively than ever, it simply reinforces the feeling among much of the educated populace: It is a weirdly embarrassing time to be an American. It is jarring and oddly shattering and makes you rethink what it really means to be a part of this country. The answer: It doesn't mean much at all. Not really. Not anymore.

This is the common wisdom on the progressive Left. Those first four toxic Bush years? A fluke. A phantasm. A stolen election. A gaff, a mugging, a crime. But this? An election this close makes you reconsider. Maybe, after all, we aren't nearly as far along as we think. Maybe we're not all that sophisticated or nuanced or respectable a nation as we sometimes dare to dream.

Maybe, in fact, we're regressing, back to the days of guns and sexism and pre-emptive violence, of environmental abuse and no rights for women and a sincere hatred of gays and foreigners and minorities. Sound familiar? It should: it's the modern GOP platform.

Here's the thing: for tens of millions of us, it is simply unconscionable that we could possibly be led for another four years by a small and spoiled little man who has very little real idea what he's doing and even less of how the hell he got there. It would be funny, in a Adam Sandler, toilet-humored sort of way, were it not so poisonous and depressing. And yet it looks like we're stuck with it, like a shard of glass buried deep in the eye.

And the rest of the world? Well, it can only watch us and shake its collective head and wonder just what the hell is wrong with us, why so many millions of us would even consider re-electing the world's most inept and war-hungry and insanely inarticulate man to four more years of unchecked power, why our much-hyped much-coveted supposedly ultrasuperior democratic system is so very deeply blotchy and knotty and spoiled.

So then, to much of Europe, Russia, Asia, Canada, Mexico, the Middle East -- to all those dozens of major world nations who want Bush out almost as much as the educated people of America, to you we can only say: We are so very, very sorry. We don't know how it happened, either. For tens of millions of us, Bush is not our president and never will be. That's how divisive. That's how dangerous. That's how very sad it has become.

The GOP steamroller appears to be just too powerful, just too well oiled and blood soaked and fear inducing to be stopped just yet. After all, the Right has been working on this master plan and building their takeover strategy for about forty years. It's gonna take those of us working for change and progress and raw spiritual juice a little more than one or two years to dissolve it away like the cancer it so obviously is.

Apparently, there are lessons yet to be learned. Apparently, we must hit some sort of new low between now and 2008, attain some sort of seriously vicious status in the world before we will snap out of it. You think?

This much is clear: We are not, with a grim Bush victory, headed for buoyancy and friendship and sincere hope for something new and refreshing. We are not, with another four years of what we just endured, headed toward any sort of easing of bitter tension, a sense of levity, or sexual openness, or true education, or gender respect, or a lightness of spirit and of step.

Maybe the best we can hope for, at this ominous and slightly sickening moment, is one hell of a lot more patience.
Old 11-04-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Again, i'm very confused as to why when Clinton won re-election with only 49% of the popular vote there wasn't all the "country is divided!!" sky-is-falling talk like there is now. Please someone explain it to me. I'm sure there is a good reason...

Last edited by General Zod; 11-04-04 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-04-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

good stuff
Old 11-04-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the modern GOP platform includes no rights for women???
Old 11-04-04, 11:52 AM

It's interesting to read the opinions of people who don't have a fucking clue. No wait, it's not.
Old 11-04-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by General Zod
Again, i'm very confused as to why when Clinton won re-election with only 49% of the popular vote there wasn't all the "country is divided!!" sky-is-falling talk like there is now. Please someone explain it to me. I'm sure there is a good reason...
I wonder that also.

A bunch of the article can best be described as drivel.
Old 11-04-04, 12:03 PM

He is somthing all the Dems need to realize. There is such a thing as an honest difference of opinion. To disagree with it does not mean you are stupid or evil. I heard a democrat on the Lars Larson show give some good advice.

Democrats, The Republicans are not 100% wrong.
Old 11-04-04, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by wendersfan
It's interesting to read the opinions of people who don't have a fucking clue. No wait, it's not.

And he is described as a good writer? Wow.
Old 11-04-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Regardless of his politics, he is a good writer.
Old 11-04-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by blakader
He is somthing all the Dems need to realize. There is such a thing as an honest difference of opinion. To disagree with it does not mean you are stupid or evil. I heard a democrat on the Lars Larson show give some good advice.

Old 11-04-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really, no matter how much he pretties up "Only stupid people voted for Bush," it continues to be a vile opinion. It is also a huge trap that many progressives are building for themselves.
Old 11-04-04, 12:26 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe, in fact, we're regressing, back to the days of guns and sexism and pre-emptive violence, of environmental abuse and no rights for women and a sincere hatred of gays and foreigners and minorities. Sound familiar? It should: it's the modern GOP platform.
I love it when people lose it publicly like this.
Old 11-04-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

I guess I am really one of the few that still believes that, for the most part, there was not a huge difference between the candidates and their positions. That makes me wonder why people like this believe it is so divided. Hell, I could have voted for Kerry and not worried about life.

I honestly think that liberals just need the acceptance of the populace of Europe to feel like they aren't cave men. I would probably feel that way as well if I thought that Europe had a better country than we do, but I don't.

It really baffles me.
Old 11-04-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
Regardless of his politics, he is a good writer.
Maybe, but this writing seems more like a little kid who reached out to grab the lollipop and was told no.
Old 11-04-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by General Zod
Maybe, but this writing seems more like a little kid who reached out to grab the lollipop and was told no by the Republican Party. BOOGA BOOGA!

Fixed
Old 11-04-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• wendersfan •

I hate to be so dismissive, but you're dead on.

das
Old 11-04-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, Jason. Good column, and all too true.
Old 11-04-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Mark Morford's post-election thoughts

Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
This ought to spark some discussion. I've been reading this guy for about a year. Great writer, heavily leaning left. Thought I'd throw it out there.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...304.DTL&nl=fix

This election's outcome, this heartbreaking proof of a nation split more deeply and decisively than ever, it simply reinforces the feeling among much of the educated populace: It is a weirdly embarrassing time to be an American.
This mindset is the reason why Democrats cannot win an election. Until they step off of their high horse and out of their elitist bubble that they live in, they'll never win. You cannot constantly belittle and patronize the so-called common man and expect to earn his vote. This mean spiritedness and intellectual snobbery has to stop if they ever want to regain any kind of political power.
Old 11-04-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by blakader

You see...I don't think most Democrats are taking issue with the Republican Party as an institution. In the past, we have had disagreements in terms of how to best serve the nation but have been able to work side by side because the goal was common...to best serve the nation.

I may not have agreed with much with Reagan's economic policies, but he struck me as genuinely interested in the well-being of the country. And he did bring the country out of a destructive self-hate that had been brewing throughout the seventies.

But that was the old guard Republican Party.

The Bush administration has never struck me as very interested in the well-being of America. Not economically. Not socially. Not diplomatically. It has largely been a self-serving and exclusive adminstration that has put itself above international law and American law to pursue an agenda that has little to do with Republican ideals. It refuses to research, debate, or even consider outside opinions or options. And in doing so, has coldly and willingly done much harm to this country.

I am a Democrat and have voted in six presidential elections. Twice I have voted independent. And if McCain had secured the nomination in 2000, I would have likely voted for him over Gore.
And I have found that I am hardly alone amongst Democrats in willingness to turn to leaders outside our party when we felt it was warranted.

Sadly, I have found the opposite (Republicans looking outside the party) to be rarely true. A few Libertarians here or there but not even enough to challenge Nader in numbers. I am amazed at how many Republicans disagree with many of the Bush administration policies but are so tied to party name, that they can't pull themselves away from it, even when it ceases to represent their ideals.

So, ultimately, I feel the flip-side of this argument. Democrats are constantly waiting for the Republicans to stop treating Democrats like we are always 100% wrong.
Old 11-04-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mad Dawg
Really, no matter how much he pretties up "Only stupid people voted for Bush," it continues to be a vile opinion. It is also a huge trap that many progressives are building for themselves.
All too true.

I voted 3rd party, but if forced to cast a ballot for either Dubya or Kerry, I would have voted for Bush. The increasingly prevailing attitude displayed in this editorial is probably the major reason why.

And here I thought that the Republicans were supposed to be the party of intolerance...
Old 11-04-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mad Dawg
Really, no matter how much he pretties up "Only stupid people voted for Bush," it continues to be a vile opinion.
A completely false generalization of his thoughts. Plenty of smart people voted for Bush.

Evil, smart people.
Old 11-04-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

classicman2:
A bunch of the article can best be described as drivel.
The drivel of a sore loser who has just implicitly admitted that he doesn't believe in democracy.
JustinS:
And here I thought that the Republicans were supposed to be the party of intolerance...
Many self-professed advocates of tolerance are only tolerant of those like themselves.

Last edited by DivxGuy; 11-04-04 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-04-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An election this close makes you reconsider.
The irony is that he doesn't sound like he is reconsidering a damn thing. He's just calling Bush names like a spoiled kid.

And, incidentally, pointing to the majority of the voters in this nation and saying that they are violent, sexist, bigoted polluters. Just for good measure.

Keep beating that drum, friend. That's sure to get your party into office in '08.
Old 11-04-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
There are alot of us in the NE who are increasingly turned off by the left's abbusive additude twords our fellow americans in the south.
Old 11-04-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe Democrats should be spending their time more productively re-evaluating their own platform and figuring out why they lost instead of bashing the other party?

Disclaimer: This was by no means an endorsement of George W. Bush and the Republican platform.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.