Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

I keep hearing that the Rock the Vote type campaigns didn't work. (merged)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

I keep hearing that the Rock the Vote type campaigns didn't work. (merged)

Old 11-04-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I keep hearing that the Rock the Vote type campaigns didn't work.

I keep hearing on the radio that the "Rock the Vote" and "Vote or Die" media blitzes and others like them didn't get as many kids to vote as expected. Does anyone have any info on this? Is this true or is it just that they didn't get as many kids to Vote Democrat? I'm trying to understand what they mean by all this. I thought these were always successful?
Old 11-04-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I understand -- and I just realized that I haven't seen any hard figures on this -- 17% of 'youth' voted in 2000. And 17% voted in 2004.

So, even if they got more people to register to vote, the end result is the same. A lot of people registered but never voted.

But, I'd love to see a link with some actual numbers/data.
Old 11-04-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gettin them thar young'ns (apparently to many people I'm a dumb hick now since I voted for Bush) to register is easy. Getting them to vote is another.

I've heard the 18-25 was the same turnout (17%) as 2000. Not even one in five. As I said before P Diddy will have trigger finger carpal tunnel by the time he's done with his 'Vote or Die' promise .
Old 11-04-04, 09:24 AM

It didn't work? But they had COOLIO?!?
Old 11-04-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Vote or die, motherfucker.
Motherfucker, vote or die.

I guess they didn't realize that Piss Daddy meant this literally!
Old 11-04-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Been looking for a place to post this:

People in the News: Some vote promoters weren't even registered

About all those people who wore "VOTE OR DIE!" T-shirts: If they didn't vote, should they be executed?

If so, 50 Cent and Paris Hilton better hire extra protection, because their days are numbered.

According to New York's Daily News, neither was registered to vote. And, yes, both were featured in ads for P.Diddy's Citizen Change campaign, wearing the aforementioned shirts. Another model, Ludacris, held up his end of the bargain by voting via absentee ballot in Fulton County, Ga. And Diddy himself was photographed voting in New York's Upper East Side

A spokesperson for Citizen Change said that given that celebs were not paid to appear in the poster campaign, nothing could be done to force them to vote. "We have to take the managers at their word," said the spokesperson. "We have no business checking up on them."

Neither Hilton's nor 50 Cent's flacks commented, but the paper speculates the rapper may not have been eligible to vote because he's a convicted felon.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/people..._people04.html
Old 11-04-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bboisvert
From what I understand -- and I just realized that I haven't seen any hard figures on this -- 17% of 'youth' voted in 2000. And 17% voted in 2004.

So, even if they got more people to register to vote, the end result is the same. A lot of people registered but never voted.

But, I'd love to see a link with some actual numbers/data.
Agreed. NBC used those figures on their newscast last night.
Old 11-04-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by nevermind

I've heard the 18-25 was the same turnout (17%) as 2000. Not even one in five. As I said before P Diddy will have trigger finger carpal tunnel by the time he's done with his 'Vote or Die' promise .

Yep. Pretty humorous particularly after hearing Kerry backers saying, 'just you wait - the youth will turn out in droves.'

I've said it once and I'll say it again - electoral history is a far better tool for predicting elections.
Old 11-04-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd like to see some numbers, too.

Reminds me of something Dennis Miller said on his show a day or two before the election: "The kids that registered at a concert are not going to vote if they wake up on election day, take a bong hit, and there's a good Laverne & Shirley on TV."
Old 11-04-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally posted by DJLinus
Reminds me of something Dennis Miller said on his show a day or two before the election: "The kids that registered at a concert are not going to vote if they wake up on election day, take a bong hit, and there's a good Laverne & Shirley on TV."
snap!
Old 11-04-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Perhaps the election was too soon after the release of GTA: San Andreas.
Old 11-04-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Vote or die? Fuck I'm dying left and right on the fourth mission!!! I have got to get through this mission!!!11

Yarrrrgh!

There's a reason why Social Security, and not student financial aid, is the "third rail" of American politics. Like Joe Scarborough said, the youth vote will leave you at the altar every time.
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon

Old 11-04-04, 10:10 AM

Ok, I'll say up front that I don't really mean this; it's just how I sometimes feel when I'm my angriest about the 18-25ers not getting involved.

When I'm my angriest, I find myself hoping Bush does reinstate the draft, so that those lazy, apathetic, selfish fuckers have to deal with the consequences of their willful ignorance--ie stupidity. Then they really will have gotten the president they deserve, as discussed in another thread.

Ok, I'm done ranting. Thanks for listening. Back to you...
Old 11-04-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by mike harnish

When I'm my angriest, I find myself hoping Bush does reinstate the draft, so that those lazy, apathetic, selfish fuckers have to deal with the consequences of their willful ignorance--ie stupidity. Then they really will have gotten the president they deserve, as discussed in another thread.

For the zillionth time, Bush does not have the authority to reinstate the draft.
Old 11-04-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

P.DON'T
Old 11-04-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• mike harnish •

When I'm my angriest, I find myself hoping Bush does reinstate the draft, so that those lazy, apathetic, selfish fuckers have to deal with the consequences of their willful ignorance--ie stupidity.
I don't say this to pick a fight, but you call them ignorant and stupid and then say Bush can reinstate the draft?

das
Old 11-04-04, 01:59 PM

I know that Bush can't reinstate the draft, just like that. What I meant was a Bush/Republican (or even a Democratic) initiative that would go through all the appropriate procedures and pass Congress, etc. Sorry I wasn't clearer. But, my real point is that there's been discussion/debate nationally recently about whether there will be a need to reinstate the draft, depending on how things go in Iraq, and elsewhere. So, it's definitely in the interest of the 18-25 year olds to pay attention to that possibility, seeing as how it could greatly affect their lives. My point wasn't exactly how the draft would/could get reinstated, it was that a whole group of potential voters, who would be directly affected by a draft, basically didn't bother to care enough to have a say in their own futures. And, sorry, but yes, to me that's stupid, because it seems based on some combination of willful ignorance of the issues, laziness, selfishness, and/or apathy. And anyway, folks, please keep in mind the first sentence of my other post; it's not trivial or unimportant--quite the opposite: I don't seriously want the draft reinstated, for any reason. But, when I'm most upset about this issue, my emotional reaction sometimes takes over; my intellectual/philosophical reaction and my emotional reaction isn't always in sync. You can relate, right? So, again, I'm sorry I wasn't more precise in the other post. But, again, I wasn't focusing on the specifics of the political procedures for reinstating a draft, just pointing out that it really could be reinstated, and that if something like that could drastically affect your life, I'd think you'd give enough of a shit to get involved.
Old 11-04-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the "whole group" did not not vote. some of us did.

maybe they think they are being discriminated against with the choices because of the age descrimination in the Const
Old 11-04-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm 22 and it was the 2nd time I voted.
Old 11-04-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the reason none of those campaigns worked was people can see through P Diddy or Paris Hilton etc. I bet they didn't even vote themselves. It was all for publicity. I'm sure most of the people that registered because P. Diddy yelled 'Vote or Die' did it because it was all the rage and popular at the time, not because they were serious about the voting booth
Old 11-04-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

People signed up but when Paris didn't sleep with them, they felt like they'd been gypped.
Old 11-04-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was just about to make fun of the lack of the youth vote, then realized I am in that age group (of course I voted).

They have been trying the youth vote thing for all the elections I have been voting in, which isn't many. But I truly don't think it will ever happen. I can remember hearing all the political pundits saying this would be the year, but surprise, once again no youth turnout. I think if there was a year, this would have been it as well. What better way to get the youth to vote than a draft scare? Maybe they should have given away free ipods.
Old 11-04-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably isn't too effective when most of those who watch MTV are in junior high and can't vote anyway.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.