Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

London paper call Reps Voters Dumb / The Hypocrisy of Europe [merged]

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

London paper call Reps Voters Dumb / The Hypocrisy of Europe [merged]

Old 11-04-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Hypocrisy of Europe

I can't stand the Euro trash these days. They whine about how Bush and America have ruined everything, diplomacy, alliances, security etc. They talk about how we don't understand them. Why don't they look in the mirror and ask themselves Do we understand America? They need to look at themselves and need to realize how much they have contributed to weaker relationships between Europe and the US. The latest example of their vitriolic hatred for Bush is this great headline after the Bush re-election...

“How can 59,054,087 be so dumb!”

right from the front page of the Daily Mirror
Old 11-04-04, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk God

It was the same way with Reagan. Europe is only happy if we put their best interests first. I would feel the same way, but they are truly asses about it.

And it is just politics. They loved Clinton and when he went into Somalia without UN approval, they didn't say much.

It is pissing them off that let's us know we are doing the right thing.
Old 11-04-04, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Daily Mirror is a crappy tabloid whose credibility is somewhere between that of the Weekly World News and the Penthouse Forum. Try again.
Old 11-04-04, 01:04 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by dork
The Daily Mirror is a crappy tabloid whose credibility is somewhere between that of the Weekly World News and the Penthouse Forum. Try again.
You better watch your dissing of my primary news source!

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/politics/61662

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/science/61481
Old 11-04-04, 01:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kvrdave
And it is just politics. They loved Clinton and when he went into Somalia without UN approval, they didn't say much.
They also love it when Clinton bombed the shit out Yugoslavia
Old 11-04-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk God

What was it? Oh yes....just because you repeat it doesn't make it true.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/

They may be similar to the New York Times, but hardly somewhere between Weekly World News and Penthouse Forum.
Old 11-04-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What was it? Oh yes....just because you repeat it doesn't make it true.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/
I'm sorry, what did you just prove? That they have a website?
Old 11-04-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
You better watch your dissing of my primary news source!

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/politics/61662

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/science/61481
Slate had better coverage of both of these.
Old 11-04-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm sorry, what did you just prove? That they have a website?
No batboy. No Aliens convincing Rush Limbaugh to run for President. Topical news about their government, the election and more.

I have never read anything like that in our tabloids.
Old 11-04-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk God

And looking at the links, no "Butt on Mars"
Old 11-04-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The counter argument from an European point of view could be:

"I is can't stand the American trash these days. They whine about how the UN and Europe have ruined everything, diplomacy, alliances, security etc. They talk about how we don't understand them. Why don't they look in the mirror and ask themselves Do we understand Europe? They need to look at themselves and need to realize how much they have contributed to weaker relationships between Europe and the US."

I'm not saying that either is correct, but it's not exactly one sided. The same hatred SOME Europeans have for Bush is probably on par with the same hated SOME Americans have for Europe. Look at the reactions to France and Spain with their 'We don't want anything to do with Iraq' line.
Old 11-04-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Topical news about their government, the election and more.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/frontpages/
Old 11-04-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can give a little bit of the credit to Michael Moore and his incredible love of this country.
Old 11-04-04, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Their format on the front page may resemble our tabloids, but here is a list of the stories on their "news" part:

Bush Wins Second Term

Race For the White House: Thank Queue

Evil Rapists Jail Letters

MPS throw out ban on Smacking

Power Surge

Car Bomb kills 12 in Iraq

Compare it to the typical news on cnn.com, NYT, etc.
A couple of government things, a few sports things, etc. It is not a tabloid like ours.
Old 11-04-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
You can give a little bit of the credit to Michael Moore and his incredible love of this country.
I'm surprised that he hasn't wanted to leave, given he seems to hate America and Americans so much.
Old 11-04-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Hypocrisy of Europe

Originally posted by IMRICKJAMES
The latest example of their vitriolic hatred for Bush is this great headline after the Bush re-election...

“How can 59,054,087 be so dumb!”

right from the front page of the Daily Mirror
How does this differ from "Damsel in Distress: Laura braves weasel kiss." on the cover of the New York Post? Back when Chriac kissed Laura Bush's hand.

Or you saying "I can't stand Euro Trash" ?

You are making prejudice comments, and applying judgement to an entire group of people, because of where they're from. Which is actually something people have no choice in. I don't see how this is any better than racism, personally, but it seems socially acceptable.
Old 11-04-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Their format on the front page may resemble our tabloids, but here is a list of the stories on their "news" part:

Bush Wins Second Term

Race For the White House: Thank Queue

Evil Rapists Jail Letters

MPS throw out ban on Smacking

Power Surge

Car Bomb kills 12 in Iraq

Compare it to the typical news on cnn.com, NYT, etc.
A couple of government things, a few sports things, etc. It is not a tabloid like ours.
You're right, Dave. The Daily Mirror has about the same amount of credibility as the New York Post.
Old 11-04-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by TracerBullet
You're right, Dave. The Daily Mirror has about the same amount of credibility as the New York Post.
Oops, my mistake. That is what I meant. And that is a far cry from the WWW. I admit that The Daily Mirror is not like The Wall Street Journal, but they are not a tabloid like we think of The Enquirer.
Old 11-04-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: The Hypocrisy of Europe

Originally posted by BizRodian
How does this differ from "Damsel in Distress: Laura braves weasel kiss." on the cover of the New York Post? Back when Chriac kissed Laura Bush's hand.

Or you saying "I can't stand Euro Trash" ?

You are making prejudice comments, and applying judgement to an entire group of people, because of where they're from. Which is actually something people have no choice in. I don't see how this is any better than racism, personally, but it seems socially acceptable.
On a very basic level they're basically the same (especially his Eurotrash comments, I thought they were out of line). However, for some reason the "weasel kiss" headline doesn't upset me as much. They made an anti-french joke (IMO poor taste), but the Mirror basically called 51% of the US idiots.

I think there's a difference in scale there. While the NY Post's headline was immature (but typical NYP), it basically 'insulted' a single person. The Mirror has insulted 50+ Million.

birrman54
Old 11-04-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TracerBullet
I was going to compare it to the Post, but then realized that many people actually do put stock in the Post.

The Mirror was the one that had a photo of Bush and Blair kissing on the cover. The Sun had Chirac's head on the body of a worm. Strange, many found that one quite droll.
Old 11-04-04, 01:40 AM

Dave, now compare those titles with the majority of front page headlines from the link YOU provided (and dug your own grave with on this topic...). It's FAR from the NY Times.

It's a rag, my man. Thanks for proving it to me.

TracerBullet has it right. When I saw those front pages, I immediately thought of the NY Post (and the National Enquirer to a small extent).

So of course, we take an outrageous headline from a POS rag, and use that as an example of typical Europeans.

Much like conservatives using Michael Moore as an example of typical Democrats.

~~~~~~~~~`

edit: ah, okay, I see you misspoke. Good, my faith in you has been restored somewhat.
Old 11-04-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I admit that The Daily Mirror is not like The Wall Street Journal, but they are not a tabloid like we think of The Enquirer.
The New York Post is a tabloid!
Old 11-04-04, 01:47 AM
Banned

The bottom line, Europe wants to be a superpower and they're nowhere close. Europeans can't even solely agree on a currency for crying out loud.
Old 11-04-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was going to compare it to the Post, but then realized that many people actually do put stock in the Post.

The Mirror was the one that had a photo of Bush and Blair kissing on the cover. The Sun had Chirac's head on the body of a worm. Strange, many found that one quite droll.
I think anyone trying to prove that Europeans think Americans a bunch of dolts is doing their argument a disservice by using the Daily Mirror as an example. They are for expedience and making money. Their stance on British involvement in the EU is basically ripped straight from the platform of the British National Party (something that resonates with a lot of Britons), yet they are also against Bush (something else that resonates with a lot of Britons).
Old 11-04-04, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

tab·loid
n.
A newspaper of small format giving the news in condensed form, usually with illustrated, often sensational material.

It doesn't take batboys and aliens to make a tabloid.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.