Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Oregon and Voting through the mail

Old 11-04-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oregon and Voting through the mail

As I was watching CNN last night, one of the pundits mentioned that Oregon is the only state that has ALL voters submit every ballot through mail.

This does seem a little alien to me. However, are there any Oregonians
out there who would care to explain how this works?

Do you have to request a ballot ahead of time, or can you pick them up on the day of and mail them in?

Does the post office stay open later on election day?

Do most people worry that their vote
could get lost in the mail?

Does anyone know why Oregon does it like this?
Old 11-04-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk God

You can mail it, and they also have drop off spots.

I believe they must be in on election day rather than being in later like most states run their absentee ballots.
Old 11-04-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Correct. Ballots must be received by the state no later than 8:00 pm on election day to count. They may either be mailed in, or dropped off at an official location.

The problem with the system is that it is ripe for corruption and fraud, because the ballots, which are mailed in signed, sealed envelopes, are opened early, and left in locations that are not adequately secure. This leaves voters with two options: either get your ballot in early and risk tampering, or wait until election day to drop it off, causing significant delays (often several days) in signature verification and subsequent counting.

Of course, the main proponent of this fiasco, Oregon Secretary of State Bill Bradbury, insists that the system is perfect.
Old 11-04-04, 03:03 AM

Re: Oregon and Voting through the mail

Originally posted by diesteldorf
Do most people worry that their vote
could get lost in the mail?
We do not lose mail! You're on thin ice, buddy!

Do the voters have to place a stamp on the envelope, or is the postage prepaid by the state. Either way, it's a sweet deal for the USPS.
Old 11-04-04, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not in Oregon, but I had to place a stamp on my absentee ballot. The other option would've been to take it to a polling place on election day.
Old 11-04-04, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by Roto
I'm not in Oregon, but I had to place a stamp on my absentee ballot. The other option would've been to take it to a polling place on election day.
Who's the dumbass that came up with that second option? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? Taking your absentee ballot to the polling location on election day? You're filling out the absentee ballot because YOU CAN'T BE THERE ON ELECTION DAY!
Old 11-04-04, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good point, but since I'm registered as absentee, they just send all my ballots in the mail. I voted at home on my couch and took my sweet ass time about it, just like the Oregonians

I have complete faith in the USPS!
Old 11-04-04, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by Roto
I have complete faith in the USPS!
Dumbass!
Old 11-04-04, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But when they ripped the cover off my Sporting News they sealed it in a plastic baggy with a nice little apology note written on it. It just warmed my heart

WE CARE
Dear Postal Customer:

We sincerely regret the damage done to your mail during handling by the postal service. We hope this incident did not inconvenience you. Blah, blah, blahbitty blah

XOXO
Your Plant Manager
Processing & Distribution