Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Bush's next cabinet (Drudge says Ashcroft resigning)

Old 11-03-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bush's next cabinet (Drudge says Ashcroft resigning)

On Drudge's front page:

Attorney General John Ashcroft 'plans to submit his resignation to Bush in the next several days'...
So any predictions on new faces and departing ones?

Everyone keeps batting around Giuliani's name for Attorney General, but I'm not so sure. Perhaps Marc Racicot?
Old 11-03-04, 09:48 PM

Perhaps Drudge has long been reading our forums?

Additionally, Mr. Ridge will also clearly not be coming back.

I am still undecided about whether Mr. Rumsfeld will be.
Old 11-03-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was protocol that everybody submits a resignation; then if Prez wants to keep you, he tears it up and invites you back. They "serve at the pleasure of the President."
Old 11-03-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I thought that was just with a NEW president.

Not Giuliani, (even though Giuliani haters cant knock him as a kick ass prosecutor) they need him to take out Hillary.

Mattews said last night that second terms suck because you have a second string cabinet
Old 11-03-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
I thought that was just with a NEW president.

Not Giuliani, (even though Giuliani haters cant knock him as a kick ass prosecutor) they need him to take out Hillary.

Mattews said last night that second terms suck because you have a second string cabinet
why would him being Atty Gen prevent him from running as president in 2008 (not that I necessarily think he will).

birrman54
Old 11-03-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Not pres in 2008, Hillary's senate seat in 2006 (which would kill her presidential dreams)
Old 11-03-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Giuliant has spent the last two days telling everyone who asks that he's happy at his consulting firm and has no interest in the AG position.

So it ain't gonna be Rudy.
Old 11-04-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

my choice would be the NY state AG, Elliot Spitzer
Old 11-04-04, 08:52 AM

Well, since the last guy had an embarassing loss running for Senate before being appointed, I think Bush should continue the trend and get Alan Keyes.
Old 11-04-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Pharoh
Perhaps Drudge has long been reading our forums?

Additionally, Mr. Ridge will also clearly not be coming back.

I am still undecided about whether Mr. Rumsfeld will be.
Rumsfeld will be leaving.

His replacement - Ms. Rice - the first woman Secretary of Defense in the history of the Republic

Mattews said last night that second terms suck because you have a second string cabinet.
That's generally the case.
Old 11-04-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by al_bundy
my choice would be the NY state AG, Elliot Spitzer
He'd be a great choice to show bipartisanship. And I can't imagine he'd be controversial. Or are you just trying to get him out of NY?
Old 11-04-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Groucho
Well, since the last guy had an embarassing loss running for Senate before being appointed, I think Bush should continue the trend and get Alan Keyes.
Old 11-04-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If Powell steps down, Rice will be the new SecState.
Old 11-04-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by B.A.
If Powell steps down, Rice will be the new SecState.
It's reported (a couple of months ago) that Rice wanted to leave the National Security Advisor's job and return to academia. She reportedly told friends at the Hoover Institute that she was not interested in the Secretary of State job, but she might very well be interested in the Secretary of Defense job.
Old 11-04-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

I think Powell takes off.

Pat Buchanan for Homeland security (insecurity?) and Pat Robertson for Secretary of State. Because we have a mandate. And because I want to listen to Airamerica they day after that announcement.
Old 11-04-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ashcroft

BTW, is Rummy going to bail on the morass in Iraq now? Is one of Rummy's nutty Pentagon lackeys going to move up the chain? Wolfowitz et al?

Last edited by CRM114; 11-04-04 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-04-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
Not pres in 2008, Hillary's senate seat in 2006 (which would kill her presidential dreams)
I haven't heard a high level of discontent with Clinton's job in NY. Why do you think she'll be run out on a rail?
Old 11-04-04, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by CRM114

BTW, is Rummy going to bail on the morass in Iraq now? Is one of Rummy's nutty Pentagon lackeys going to move up the chain? Wolfowitz et al?

I already stated my hesitancy about Mr. Rumsfeld's departure. The word on K is that he probably will.

There seems to be some internal debate going on regarding Dr. Wolfowitz's ascendancy. There would be a potential confirmation struggle, which some advisors are suggesting should be avoided. President Bush believes he is both deserving and qualified. Given history, and President Bush's famous loyalty, I suspect that Dr. Wolfowitz will be given the nod. Ms. Rice will not be given this post.
Old 11-04-04, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by kvrdave
I think Powell takes off.

He has recently expressed interest in staying. He was reportedly asked yesterday to stay.

Old 11-04-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Pharoh,

I disagree.

I don't believe there's a snowball's chance in hell that Wolfowitz will the President's nominee for the job. He would be far too much of a controversial nominee, IMO. Ms. Rice, on the other hand, would sail through.

The President doesn't need controversial cabinet nominees. He needs to save his big guns for the 1-3 Supreme Court nominees that he will probably be rquired to make.

Last edited by classicman2; 11-04-04 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-04-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Pharoh
I already stated my hesitancy about Mr. Rumsfeld's departure. The word on K is that he probably will.

There seems to be some internal debate going on regarding Dr. Wolfowitz's ascendancy. There would be a potential confirmation struggle, which some advisors are suggesting should be avoided. President Bush believes he is both deserving and qualified. Given history, and President Bush's famous loyalty, I suspect that Dr. Wolfowitz will be given the nod. Ms. Rice will not be given this post.
What do you think is the likelihood of Dr. Wolfowitz being nominated State and Dr. Rice being nominated for Defense?
Old 11-04-04, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by JasonF
What do you think is the likelihood of Dr. Wolfowitz being nominated State and Dr. Rice being nominated for Defense?

Very little chance. Dr. Wolfowitz would not do well in that position, nor would he be confirmed.

It is possible that Ms. Rice could wind up as Sec/State, but she has already voiced her huge displeasure at the functions of that position. She hates the dinners and ceremonial duties the job entails. She has publicly expressed a preference for the Sec/Def job over the State job.

However, it will take a good sell job by the President in order for her to stay. I truly believe she desires to go. And it's funny how C-Man mentions the Hoover. I firmly believe that. Also, when is Tagliabue due up for retirement?

Last edited by Pharoh; 11-04-04 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-04-04, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by classicman2
Pharoh,

I disagree.

I don't believe there's a snowball's chance in hell that Wolfowitz will the President's nominee for the job. He would be far too much of a controversial nominee, IMO. Ms. Rice, on the other hand, would sail through.

The President doesn't need controversial cabinet nominees. He needs to save his big guns for the 1-3 Supreme Court nominees that he will probably be rquired to make.

It depends on who the other nominees for the other cabinet positions would be. Certainly a quid pro quo may result.
Old 11-04-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

What will be more important, IMO, is who will be the next Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee?

Arlen Specter is in line. However, Specter's views of judicial nominees may sway some Republicans from voting for him at this critical - SC nominees coming up.
Old 11-04-04, 05:51 PM

As for Mr. Ashcroft, I don't buy any of the Giuliani talk. He will be replaced by either Larry Thompson or Alberto Gonzales.

If Powell does go, look for John Danforth to get the nod.

Mr. Ridge is the person whom I am the second most confident about leaving. The first of course being Mr. Ashcroft, as I have stated on here for the past nine months.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.