Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Have you run into "Doom and Gloom" people yet?

Old 11-03-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Man, I am a partisan, but if Kerry had won, I would not think the sky would fall. In fact, this is exactly why I was kind of looking forward to a Kerry win. I don't think I can take these damn_hippies and their "the world will end", and "the whole world is laughing at us" crap for another 4 years.

Life will go on and all will be fine.

You run into anyone yet?
Old 11-03-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just tried to get to michaelmoore.com. Doesn't seem to be working...
Old 11-03-04, 12:39 PM
Admin-MemeCat

I live with one.

Plus my Dad and people in my office. You would thoroughly enjoy it Dave.
Old 11-03-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well do you constitute "doom and gloom" because you don't get to be the whiney bitch?

My wife was almost catatonic this morning. One of my best friends plans to leave the country ASAP.
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by nevermind
Well do you constitute "doom and gloom" because you don't get to be the whiney bitch?
sort of. I would really prefer to be the whiney bitch than just be around them. This is really suck!
Old 11-03-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

God yes.
Even MORE of the histrionics. Draft, economy, WWIII, women forced to have babies, no jobs for anyone, etc. And when a Republican or Bush voter dares to offer some facts, s/he's greeted with 'Tool!' or 'Loser.'
I'm surprised some of these people could even find their polling place, much less vote.
Old 11-03-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i heard a republican say that if gore had been elected in 2000, we would have fallen off the face of the planet
Old 11-03-04, 12:49 PM

Smug much?

Personally I'm trying to shake off my doom and gloom because I have a lot of work that needs my attention. I'm sorry you feel so put off by those of us who don't dig the results of the election, but to hell with you.
Last time I checked I have a right to not be happy about it.

Go drink a toast and enjoy your moment. I for one hope my doom and gloom does turn out to be misplaced. But I doubt it.
Old 11-03-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's one guy at work, some wet-behind-the-ears kid who probably wasn't even old enough to vote in 2000, who's been running around saying "Vote Kerry" like he was some kind of goddamned parrot.

I'd be interested to see how he's feeling today...
Old 11-03-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by aintnosin
There's one guy at work, some wet-behind-the-ears kid who probably wasn't even old enough to vote in 2000, who's been running around saying "Vote Kerry" like he was some kind of goddamned parrot.

I'd be interested to see how he's feeling today...
Tell him he's getting drafted!

I kid, I kid
Old 11-03-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Toonview
Smug much?

Personally I'm trying to shake off my doom and gloom because I have a lot of work that needs my attention. I'm sorry you feel so put off by those of us who don't dig the results of the election, but to hell with you.

Go drink a toast and enjoy your moment. I for one hope my doom and gloom does turn out to be misplaced. But I doubt it.
sorry KV, but
Old 11-03-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Smug much?

It isn't about winning. It is about those who believe that our planet will be kicked out of the solar system because Bush won. HUGE difference.
Old 11-03-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck, does this mean Fahrenheit 912, 913, 914, and 915 will be made?

Great.
Old 11-03-04, 01:11 PM

Luckily, there were no "Doom and Gloomers" in '92 or '96.
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by kvrdave
It isn't about winning. It is about those who believe that our planet will be kicked out of the solar system because Bush won. HUGE difference.
agreed.
the earth will not spin off its axis,
the sky will not be purple,
blood will not flow from the rivers
but yet there are people (some friends of mine even) who think this is the end of things come. I
ts not.
life goes on, go live some.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Smug much?

Awww. That's too bad. It's a shame that I don't care.
Old 11-03-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know about gloom and doom, but I think Bush has done irreparable harm to our world standing and will most likely do quite a bit more in the next 4 years. As a servicemember, that affects me in a direct "life or limb" sort of way.

I also think that Bush has done nearly irreparable harm to our fiscal/economic standing, and will most likely drive the people further into debt in order to benefit the folks who need it the least. This affects me less, but will certainly affect my kids.

I also think that Bush has done irreparable harm to environmental efforts and now has 4 years and a mandate to do more.

I also worry about this continuing consolidation of power for a single party and our continued progression towards a religious state.

I worry about many many more things as well, and yes, I'm bummed.

But I accept the wishes of the majority, suck it up and do my best to lose graciously...so I'm not sure where I fall into your spectrum of whiners.
Old 11-03-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Funny you should ask. I was just out at some stores and running other errands and it seems EVERYONE is talking about it. The most common thread is cursing the south.

You want doom and gloom? If the Eagles lose a 4th consecutive NFC title game - THAT will be doom and gloom.
Old 11-03-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, but it was at a Cure concert.
Old 11-03-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

chess - I agree completely. And I wasn't even thinking about how much farther our standing in the world will drop - thanks for bumming me out. I'm too busy worrying about the jesus freaks taking over.
Old 11-03-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by CRM114

You want doom and gloom? If the Eagles lose a 4th consecutive NFC title game - THAT will be doom and gloom.
Old 11-03-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Have you run into "Doom and Gloom" people yet?

Man, I am a partisan, but if Kerry had won, I would not think the sky would fall. In fact, this is exactly why I was kind of looking forward to a Kerry win. I don't think I can take these damn_hippies and their "the world will end", and "the whole world is laughing at us" crap for another 4 years.

Life will go on and all will be fine.

You run into anyone yet?
One of the Kerry supporters in the office was so upset after hearing he was conceding that she took the rest of the day off. Based on what I was told she said before she left, she's another who thinks "America Deserves Everything it gets Now" .
Old 11-03-04, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by chess
I don't know about gloom and doom, but I think Bush has done irreparable harm to our world standing and will most likely do quite a bit more in the next 4 years. As a servicemember, that affects me in a direct "life or limb" sort of way.

I also think that Bush has done nearly irreparable harm to our fiscal/economic standing, and will most likely drive the people further into debt in order to benefit the folks who need it the least. This affects me less, but will certainly affect my kids.

I also think that Bush has done irreparable harm to environmental efforts and now has 4 years and a mandate to do more.

I also worry about this continuing consolidation of power for a single party and our continued progression towards a religious state.

I worry about many many more things as well, and yes, I'm bummed.

But I accept the wishes of the majority, suck it up and do my best to lose graciously...so I'm not sure where I fall into your spectrum of whiners.
I don't think you fall into that catagory. Examples of doom & gloomers:

I vomited when Bush won.
I'm leaving the country
The terrorists are going to bomb the shit out of us now
I'm going to kill myself

(actual comments I heard uttered)

for the record, I voted for Kerry. And yeah, a small piece of me was sad he didn't win. But I still got up and went to work this morining. I'm still living life as I know it.
Old 11-03-04, 01:20 PM

I'm too busy worrying about the jesus freaks taking over.
I think they already have.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.