Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Have you run into "Doom and Gloom" people yet?

Old 11-03-04, 12:37 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Have you run into "Doom and Gloom" people yet?

Man, I am a partisan, but if Kerry had won, I would not think the sky would fall. In fact, this is exactly why I was kind of looking forward to a Kerry win. I don't think I can take these damn_hippies and their "the world will end", and "the whole world is laughing at us" crap for another 4 years.

Life will go on and all will be fine.

You run into anyone yet?
kvrdave is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 12:39 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,499
Just tried to get to michaelmoore.com. Doesn't seem to be working...
ianholm is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 12:39 PM
  #3  
Admin-MemeCat
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,621
I live with one.

Plus my Dad and people in my office. You would thoroughly enjoy it Dave.
VinVega is online now  
Old 11-03-04, 12:40 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
nevermind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Illinoyze
Posts: 10,514
Well do you constitute "doom and gloom" because you don't get to be the whiney bitch?
nevermind is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 12:40 PM
  #5  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,884
My wife was almost catatonic this morning. One of my best friends plans to leave the country ASAP.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 12:40 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Originally posted by nevermind
Well do you constitute "doom and gloom" because you don't get to be the whiney bitch?
sort of. I would really prefer to be the whiney bitch than just be around them. This is really suck!
kvrdave is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 12:45 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 8,785
God yes.
Even MORE of the histrionics. Draft, economy, WWIII, women forced to have babies, no jobs for anyone, etc. And when a Republican or Bush voter dares to offer some facts, s/he's greeted with 'Tool!' or 'Loser.'
I'm surprised some of these people could even find their polling place, much less vote.
tonyc3742 is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 12:49 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
i heard a republican say that if gore had been elected in 2000, we would have fallen off the face of the planet
Venusian is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 12:49 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In a State of Panic
Posts: 721
Smug much?

Personally I'm trying to shake off my doom and gloom because I have a lot of work that needs my attention. I'm sorry you feel so put off by those of us who don't dig the results of the election, but to hell with you.
Last time I checked I have a right to not be happy about it.

Go drink a toast and enjoy your moment. I for one hope my doom and gloom does turn out to be misplaced. But I doubt it.
Toonview is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 12:58 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
aintnosin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,897
There's one guy at work, some wet-behind-the-ears kid who probably wasn't even old enough to vote in 2000, who's been running around saying "Vote Kerry" like he was some kind of goddamned parrot.

I'd be interested to see how he's feeling today...
aintnosin is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 12:59 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
nevermind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Illinoyze
Posts: 10,514
Originally posted by aintnosin
There's one guy at work, some wet-behind-the-ears kid who probably wasn't even old enough to vote in 2000, who's been running around saying "Vote Kerry" like he was some kind of goddamned parrot.

I'd be interested to see how he's feeling today...
Tell him he's getting drafted!












I kid, I kid
nevermind is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 01:01 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Originally posted by Toonview
Smug much?

Personally I'm trying to shake off my doom and gloom because I have a lot of work that needs my attention. I'm sorry you feel so put off by those of us who don't dig the results of the election, but to hell with you.
Last time I checked I have a right to not be happy about it.

Go drink a toast and enjoy your moment. I for one hope my doom and gloom does turn out to be misplaced. But I doubt it.
sorry KV, but
chess is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 01:02 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Originally posted by Toonview
Smug much?

Personally I'm trying to shake off my doom and gloom because I have a lot of work that needs my attention. I'm sorry you feel so put off by those of us who don't dig the results of the election, but to hell with you.
Last time I checked I have a right to not be happy about it.

Go drink a toast and enjoy your moment. I for one hope my doom and gloom does turn out to be misplaced. But I doubt it.
It isn't about winning. It is about those who believe that our planet will be kicked out of the solar system because Bush won. HUGE difference.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 01:08 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
Fuck, does this mean Fahrenheit 912, 913, 914, and 915 will be made?

Great.
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 01:11 PM
  #15  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
Luckily, there were no "Doom and Gloomers" in '92 or '96.
Groucho is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 01:11 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
squidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: NoVA
Posts: 3,464
Originally posted by kvrdave
It isn't about winning. It is about those who believe that our planet will be kicked out of the solar system because Bush won. HUGE difference.
agreed.
the earth will not spin off its axis,
the sky will not be purple,
blood will not flow from the rivers
but yet there are people (some friends of mine even) who think this is the end of things come. I
ts not.
life goes on, go live some.
squidget is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 01:11 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Posts: 7,991
Originally posted by Toonview
Smug much?

Personally I'm trying to shake off my doom and gloom because I have a lot of work that needs my attention. I'm sorry you feel so put off by those of us who don't dig the results of the election, but to hell with you.
Last time I checked I have a right to not be happy about it.

Go drink a toast and enjoy your moment. I for one hope my doom and gloom does turn out to be misplaced. But I doubt it.

Awww. That's too bad. It's a shame that I don't care.
weargle is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 01:15 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Originally posted by kvrdave
It isn't about winning. It is about those who believe that our planet will be kicked out of the solar system because Bush won. HUGE difference.
I don't know about gloom and doom, but I think Bush has done irreparable harm to our world standing and will most likely do quite a bit more in the next 4 years. As a servicemember, that affects me in a direct "life or limb" sort of way.

I also think that Bush has done nearly irreparable harm to our fiscal/economic standing, and will most likely drive the people further into debt in order to benefit the folks who need it the least. This affects me less, but will certainly affect my kids.

I also think that Bush has done irreparable harm to environmental efforts and now has 4 years and a mandate to do more.

I also worry about this continuing consolidation of power for a single party and our continued progression towards a religious state.

I worry about many many more things as well, and yes, I'm bummed.

But I accept the wishes of the majority, suck it up and do my best to lose graciously...so I'm not sure where I fall into your spectrum of whiners.
chess is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 01:15 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Funny you should ask. I was just out at some stores and running other errands and it seems EVERYONE is talking about it. The most common thread is cursing the south.

You want doom and gloom? If the Eagles lose a 4th consecutive NFC title game - THAT will be doom and gloom.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 01:16 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,352
Have you run into "Doom and Gloom" people yet?


Yes, but it was at a Cure concert.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 01:17 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
chess - I agree completely. And I wasn't even thinking about how much farther our standing in the world will drop - thanks for bumming me out. I'm too busy worrying about the jesus freaks taking over.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 01:18 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Originally posted by CRM114

You want doom and gloom? If the Eagles lose a 4th consecutive NFC title game - THAT will be doom and gloom.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 01:19 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 4,757
Re: Have you run into "Doom and Gloom" people yet?

Originally posted by kvrdave
Man, I am a partisan, but if Kerry had won, I would not think the sky would fall. In fact, this is exactly why I was kind of looking forward to a Kerry win. I don't think I can take these damn_hippies and their "the world will end", and "the whole world is laughing at us" crap for another 4 years.

Life will go on and all will be fine.

You run into anyone yet?
One of the Kerry supporters in the office was so upset after hearing he was conceding that she took the rest of the day off. Based on what I was told she said before she left, she's another who thinks "America Deserves Everything it gets Now" .
Dimension X is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 01:19 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
squidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: NoVA
Posts: 3,464
Originally posted by chess
I don't know about gloom and doom, but I think Bush has done irreparable harm to our world standing and will most likely do quite a bit more in the next 4 years. As a servicemember, that affects me in a direct "life or limb" sort of way.

I also think that Bush has done nearly irreparable harm to our fiscal/economic standing, and will most likely drive the people further into debt in order to benefit the folks who need it the least. This affects me less, but will certainly affect my kids.

I also think that Bush has done irreparable harm to environmental efforts and now has 4 years and a mandate to do more.

I also worry about this continuing consolidation of power for a single party and our continued progression towards a religious state.

I worry about many many more things as well, and yes, I'm bummed.

But I accept the wishes of the majority, suck it up and do my best to lose graciously...so I'm not sure where I fall into your spectrum of whiners.
I don't think you fall into that catagory. Examples of doom & gloomers:

I vomited when Bush won.
I'm leaving the country
The terrorists are going to bomb the shit out of us now
I'm going to kill myself

(actual comments I heard uttered)

for the record, I voted for Kerry. And yeah, a small piece of me was sad he didn't win. But I still got up and went to work this morining. I'm still living life as I know it.
squidget is offline  
Old 11-03-04, 01:20 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,777
I'm too busy worrying about the jesus freaks taking over.
I think they already have.
Michael Ballack is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.