Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Glad to see Daschle go...who's on deck?

Old 11-03-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad to see Daschle go...who's on deck?

I just never liked the guy and thought he was a worthless representative of the Democratic party.

Of course the guys I'd like to see get the minority leader post won't. With people like Evan Bye and Joe Biden to pick from, knowing the Dems, they'll probably find somebody even more obnoxious and useless than Nancy Pelosi.

So who would that be?
Old 11-03-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

John Kerry.
Old 11-03-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I could live with that.
Old 11-03-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Both Harry Reid (NV) and Chris Dodd (CT) will probably be throwing their names in, with Reid as early as today.
Old 11-03-04, 10:44 AM

Harry Reid
Old 11-03-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Glad to see Daschle go...who's on deck?

Originally posted by chess
I just never liked the guy and thought he was a worthless representative of the Democratic party.
I agree.

And the dick ran a commercial of him hugging Bush. Pandering asshat.
Old 11-03-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was cheering with the Bush win.

Kicking Daschole out of the Senate had me doing backflips and running around the office with my hands up like frigging Rocky.

I'm in a mood. Anymore worthless Democrats we can beat up on?? Where the hell is Henry Waxman!!
Old 11-03-04, 11:48 AM

Does it have to be a Senator? Julia Carson is as bad as they come.
Old 11-03-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm confused. I never liked him, but if you don't like him, I now feel compelled to like him.

Last edited by kvrdave; 11-03-04 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-03-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gcbrowni
Does it have to be a Senator? Julia Carson is as bad as they come.
Since the position is Senate Minority Leader, being a Senator might be a pre-req...
Old 11-03-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk God

I completely disagree with the statement that Tom Daschle has not been a excellent representative of the Democratic Party.

Oh, how quickly we forget. He cajoled the then Senate Majority Leader, Trent Lott, (when the Senate was 50-50) into making a 'power sharing' agreement. He got Lott to give him the extremely important procedural tool called the Motion to Proceed in the Senate. Only the Majority Leader has that privilege. This move pissed off a bunch of powerful Republican Senators - Don Nickles for one.

He then reneged on the deal when a certain New England Senator became an 'independent.' That's being a good leader.

As Majority Leader he engineered the 'no-budget' coup. The Senate, under his leadership did not adopt the President's and House budget. That's being a good leader - representing your party very well.

He would often skip the committee process (where he might not get what he wanted and what was good for the party) and brought the measure directly to floor. In other words, the bill would be written on the floor where the Democrats were in the majority. The energy bill is a perfect example of this.

Tom Daschle (as Majority Leader and Minority Leader) represented the Democratic Party very very well. Just because he didn't make the strident (and often silly) comments that the Democratic Leader in the House (Ms. Pelosi) made (makes), doesn't mean you're not representing the Democratic Party. I will argue that what Ms. Pelosi is not representing the Democratic Party well.
Old 11-03-04, 12:05 PM
Admin-Thanos

Very thoughtful post c-man, but given the Republican's crushing victories both in Congress and the Presidency, don't you think it's time for a change in the Democratic party. At least a change of face would be a start, no?
Old 11-03-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by VinVega
Very thoughtful post c-man, but given the Republican's crushing victories both in Congress and the Presidency, don't you think it's time for a change in the Democratic party. At least a change of face would be a start, no?
I can assure the author of this thread and another poster that they will like the new Democratic leader in the Senate even less - assuming it's going to be Harry Reid.

Reid, IMO, will be considerably lmore 'accomodating' with the Republican leadership than was Daschle.

If they think Daschle didn't represent the Democratic Party - just wait.
Old 11-03-04, 12:16 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally posted by classicman2
I can assure the author of this thread and another poster that they will like the new Democratic leader in the Senate even less - assuming it's going to be Harry Reid.

Reid, IMO, will be considerably lmore 'accomodating' with the Republican leadership than was Daschle.

You generally have to be "accomodating" when you don't have the votes and you're out of power in both branches of government. What else can they do?
Old 11-03-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can live with accomodating, as long as you don't look like a complete spineless tool every time you're on TV.

I agree, cman, that he was a great legislator. He was just a poor representative for the party when you have folks that are much more polished and moderate. I also agree that Pelosi is worse. I was rooting for Harold Ford for that job, but don't even think he was considered.

Democrats.
Old 11-03-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk God

My first choice of House Minority Leader was Martin Frost, (D/TX) - no longer a congressman since he was defeated yesterday (bad move by the voters, btw). My second choice was Ford.
Old 11-03-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone else see the picture after Daschle knew he had lost? Wow, that was scary looking
Old 11-03-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My first choice of House Minority Leader was Martin Frost, (D/TX) - no longer a congressman since he was defeated yesterday (bad move by the voters, btw). My second choice was Ford.
More to do with Gerrymandering than anything the voters did, but point taken.

Cool that we agree about Ford. He'd make a great candidate some day IMO.
Old 11-03-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

D: Obama
R: Rice
Old 11-03-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, redistricting got another long-time, good Democratic congressman from Texas - Charles Stenholm.

At least I assume he was defeated. He was trailing badly the last results I saw.

Again, about the all the Repub pick-ups in the House can be attributed to redistricting in Texas.

Damn - I'm not terribly fond of Tom DeLay.
Old 11-03-04, 12:40 PM

I like Mr. Reid.
Old 11-03-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, redistricting got another long-time, good Democratic congressman from Texas - Charles Stenholm.

At least I assume he was defeated. He was trailing badly the last results I saw.

Again, about the all the Repub pick-ups in the House can be attributed to redistricting in Texas.

Frost, Sandlin, Lampson, and Stenholm were all defeated. The GOP holds a 21-11 lead of the Texas House seats.
Old 11-03-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think I can rationally describe my hatred for Tom Delay.
Old 11-03-04, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Pharoh
I like Mr. Reid.

As stated by a couple of posters, Mr. Reid will get the job. Mr. Dodd just stated that he will not seek the position, and will support the candidacy of Mr. Reid, who announced his desire to succeed Mr. Daschle earlier this afternoon.
Old 11-03-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Before:

After:

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.