Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

It's never too early! Who do we see running in '08? [merged]

Old 11-03-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Will we see Hillary Clinton in 08

Originally posted by themovieguru
Well with Kerry out of the way now, Hillary has a chance to run in 08. I for one hope she does. This country needs to get a Clinton back into the White House. The Clintons in my humble opinion did more good for this country then any other presidential family. Personally I never cared what went on in thier personal lives just as long as they did the country well. The Clintons did what no other democrats could do, united the Democratic party, balanced the budget, created a surplus, and had employers begging people to work for them just for starters. My guess is we will see a John McCain VS Hillary Clinton in 08.
Old 11-03-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope so. She's one of few candidates that I would actually WANT to vote for (Kerry included). Besides, it's about fucking time this country had a president that wasn't a white male, but we all know it'll be a cold day in hell before a person of color is elected president.
Old 11-03-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I dont know, obviously if a Const ammendment is forced through by 2008 then he will run. The question is whether an ammendment can pass that quickly.

birrman54
Old 11-03-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Will AHnald run in '08

Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
the law will be changed to allow nationalized Americans to run for Pres.
It probably won't and the word is "naturalized"
Old 11-03-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Will AHnald run in '08

Originally posted by aintnosin
It probably won't and the word is "naturalized"
Not to mention that Arnold would have to start raising money pretty much now for a presidential run.
Old 11-03-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Birrman54
I dont know, obviously if a Const ammendment is forced through by 2008 then he will run. The question is whether an ammendment can pass that quickly.

birrman54
Theoretically, it could be. The problem is that the amendment would be so clearly targeted to Arnie that the Democrats would fight it tooth and nail. Their worst nightmare would be a popular, tele-genic, socially moderate immigrant running for the other team.
Old 11-03-04, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by wendersfan
I meant a sitting governor. Sitting senators (with two exceptions) don't get elected President. Since Bayh's a moderate he might get a pass, but I doubt it. Of course, with the current Democratic Party, he'll never get the nomination.
There have been more than two, haven't there? Allow a stint as V.P. in between and here have been way more than two. I realize that would not fit within the parameters of a "sitting" senator; however, experience in the executive branch (past or present) seems to be more of a positive determining factor for a candidate than being a "sitting senator", without taking any other factors into consideration, is a negative one.
Old 11-03-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if a sitting senator would consider running for a state's governor's office to set up a presidential run.
Old 11-04-04, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by RoyalTea
I wonder if a sitting senator would consider running for a state's governor's office to set up a presidential run.
That's a good question. It's probably been done in the past, but no candidate would be likely to admit it.
Old 11-04-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From this morning's news.com.au:

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E401,00.html

If American politics has come to resemble a never-ending episode of Dynasty, the viewers are anticipating a juicy plot twist in time for the next election.

The big winners from Tuesday's presidential battle, besides George W. Bush himself, are his brother Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton.

In a development that would make soap opera scriptwriters blush with shame, the US may well be a mere 1459 days away from a showdown between the Bush and Clinton tribes.

Senator Clinton has proved how easy it is to win an election by losing one. Had John Kerry been elected then any chance of her running for the White House in 2008 would have disappeared.

His pain is, without doubt, her gain. But the outcome is even more delicious for the former first lady.

There had been fears among her supporters that even if Senator Kerry lost, his charismatic running mate John Edwards would do well enough in the course of the campaign to establish himself as a serious rival to her.

As the contest evolved, it became obvious that Senator Edwards was not all he had been made out to be.

He did not outperform Dick Cheney in their one debate.

His home state of North Carolina was easily captured by Mr Bush. The Senate seat that he rashly chose to abandon was seized by the Republicans. Nice hair and teeth. No future.

And while Senator Clinton will obviously have shed some tears for him, the defeat of the Democrats Senate leader Tom Daschle has not hurt her prospects either.

He was a possible competitor in 2008 and certainly a rival for the limelight in Washington. His likely replacement as the minority leader, senator Harry Reid of Nevada, will not even attempt to compete with her in the media.

The situation for Jeb Bush is more complicated. The Florida Governor has made himself the darling of his party by delivering such a crucial state for his brother.

There is not much doubt that his own local popularity helped the President. He has, nonetheless, been less than enthusiastic in the past about the idea of seeking the Oval Office.

He once described the notion as something that only the Raelians (a notoriously weird cult) would consider. The dominant conservative branch of the Republicans does not, however, have an obvious attractive candidate for the 2008 ballot and would accept Mr Bush if he made himself available.

Provided that the President is reasonably popular with Republican activists at the end of his second term, the party nomination could well be there for the taking.

Another Bush-Clinton struggle four years hence would be an amazing spectacle. It sounds like the sort of competition that might occur in an unstable Latin American banana republic and not a superpower.

And if either Senator Clinton or Mr Bush were to win in 2008 and run again in 2012 it would create an astounding sequence. It would mean that by 2016 every US election since 1972 had involved the surname Bush, Clinton or Dole as either a presidential or vice-presidential candidate.
It's not entirely beyond the scope of possibility...
Old 11-04-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

And unlike George, Jeb is a good speaker. What will the dems attack him on if he doesn't talk funny and say stupid stuff? Other than his name, I mean
Old 11-04-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by aintnosin
Theoretically, it could be. The problem is that the amendment would be so clearly targeted to Arnie that the Democrats would fight it tooth and nail. Their worst nightmare would be a popular, tele-genic, socially moderate immigrant running for the other team.
Schwarzenegger vs. Grandholm in '08!

This Democrat would love for the Republicans to nominate a fiscally conservative, social moderate. I'd happily vote for such a candidate, depending, of course, on who his opponent is.
Old 11-04-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And unlike George, Jeb is a good speaker. What will the dems attack him on if he doesn't talk funny and say stupid stuff? Other than his name, I mean
Well if he is well spoken and intelligent he would probably lose his appeal among many who voted for dubya.
Old 11-04-04, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by JasonF

This Democrat would love for the Republicans to nominate a fiscally conservative, social moderate. I'd happily vote for such a candidate, depending, of course, on who his opponent is.

Old 11-04-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It cracks me up, because with Kerry losing, the republicans just opened the door for Hillary in 2008, that is if we are still around then.

It would be cool if the republicans had the balls to seriously back Colon Powell for a run in 2008, be there is no chance in hell of that happening. Honestly I think he would have a good chance of winning, especially if it was against hillary.
Old 11-05-04, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by MrBob
It cracks me up, because with Kerry losing, the republicans just opened the door for Hillary in 2008, that is if we are still around then.

It would be cool if the republicans had the balls to seriously back Colon Powell for a run in 2008, be there is no chance in hell of that happening. Honestly I think he would have a good chance of winning, especially if it was against hillary.
Prior to his cabinet appointment, Colin Powell was asked what he thought the two biggest problems facing our country were. His answer: racism and unequal distribution of wealth. Maybe the dems should give him a call.
Old 11-05-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Colin Powell doesn't have the stomach to run for the Presidency.

You have to have a burning desire to be President to face the rigors of the campaign.

I believe Powell has clearly demonstrated in the past that he doesn't want to go through the primary process.
Old 11-05-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by MrBob

The Repubs will be licking their chops at the prospect that Hillary will be the nominee.
Old 11-05-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Pharoh

Are you suggesting that you would accept the Democratic nomination to run against Republican Presidential candidate Arnold Schwazenegger!?!
Old 11-05-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bugg
Well if he is well spoken and intelligent he would probably lose his appeal among many who voted for dubya.
Very true! Jeb may deny he has any interest in running but if I were a betting man I would put my money on him being the nominee. The moral values crowd that is the backbone of the party will never go for McCain, Giuliani, Arnold (if he is allowed to run), etc. Condoleeza Rice will never be on the republican ticket because 1) she would never win the primary contests if she ran for president and 2) the analysts always speculate that the republicans might select a woman (Dole, Whitman) for VP but they never do.

I think (and hope) Edwards will run again but I would also be very pleased if Evan Bayh ran for the nomination. The only people who want Hilary to run are hardcore feminists, the media, and most of all....republicans
Old 11-05-04, 10:40 PM

Are you suggesting that you would accept the Democratic nomination to run against Republican Presidential candidate Arnold Schwazenegger!?!

Yes! Yes, I am!

Last edited by Pharoh; 11-05-04 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-05-04, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Dubya
Very true! Jeb may deny he has any interest in running but if I were a betting man I would put my money on him being the nominee. The moral values crowd that is the backbone of the party will never go for McCain, Giuliani, Arnold (if he is allowed to run), etc. Condoleeza Rice will never be on the republican ticket because 1) she would never win the primary contests if she ran for president and 2) the analysts always speculate that the republicans might select a woman (Dole, Whitman) for VP but they never do.

Funny. Here is a poll on the topic from Wednesday, by Partnership for Public Service conducted of 1000 voters:

(Total% Rep% Ind%)

Giuliani 30 34 17
McCain 18 15 26
J. Bush 5 7 0
Frist 2 2 2
Pataki 2 2 3
Romney 1 1 2
Owens 1 1 2
Undec. 40 37 49
Old 11-06-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Pharoh
Funny. Here is a poll on the topic from Wednesday, by Partnership for Public Service conducted of 1000 voters:

(Total% Rep% Ind%)

Giuliani 30 34 17
McCain 18 15 26
J. Bush 5 7 0
Frist 2 2 2
Pataki 2 2 3
Romney 1 1 2
Owens 1 1 2
Undec. 40 37 49
Polls this far out for both parties always have the people with the highest name recognition at the top of them (Bill Clinton wasn't at the top of the Democratic list in 1988). Do you honestly think that socially liberal Giuliani or moderate McCain will ultimately be the presidential nominee of the republican party?
Old 11-07-04, 03:16 AM

If McCain got the nod and picked either Giuliani or Rice as his running mate, I would cry tears of joy and pour my heart into their campaign. Alas, I don't see such a moderate ever winning the GOP nod. Also, I don't think Hilary will end up being the Dems' pick. Call it a hunch.

However, I think we'll know the GOP choice for 2008 well before the primary process, as I don't think Cheney will serve the full term as VP.
Old 11-07-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would vote for Giuliani.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.