Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Where does the Democratic Party go from here?

Old 11-03-04, 09:25 AM
Admin-Thanos

Where does the Democratic Party go from here?

I have to say, I'm pretty disheartened about this loss. While it isn't a mandate in the sense that the country is still deeply devided in certain geographical areas, the country sent a clear message last night that Republican ideas and platforms appeal to the mainstream of America. Morals and values were stated as the main reason for voting by an overwhelming majority of Middle America. Do we receive more of the same from the Democratic Party over the next 2, 4, 8 years, or do they move in a new direction, and what direction would that be? I think step one would be to stop bitching and accept their new Republican overlords. Conservative legislation is going to get passed over the next 4 years and they can object, but they must not obstruct. What are your thoughts on the new <s>Democratic</s> Regional Party's direction?
Old 11-03-04, 09:27 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

As long as they keep Terry McAuliff as the head and remain extreme left on so many issues, it is going to be tough for them. Last night wasn't just a loss, it was a fairly devastating loss. High turnout should mean dem win but there was a very high turnout and the reps won.
Old 11-03-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The whole not hating gays thing doesn't seem to be working out for them. They may want to reevaluate that.
Old 11-03-04, 09:31 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

The whole not hating gays thing doesn't seem to be working out for them. They may want to reevaluate that.
I expected better (humor) from you.
Old 11-03-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
I think that they should keep moving left. Yeah, that's the ticket!
Old 11-03-04, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by dork

I simply expected better.
Old 11-03-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nominate a candidate with purpose and fire in his/her belly? I think 2000 and 2004 were a direct result of lame candidates.

I nominate Ed Rendell.
Old 11-03-04, 09:40 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally posted by bhk
As long as they keep Terry McAuliff as the head and remain extreme left on so many issues, it is going to be tough for them. Last night wasn't just a loss, it was a fairly devastating loss. High turnout should mean dem win but there was a very high turnout and the reps won.
I was honestly shocked by the grass roots Republican turnout. I didn't think they could find more people, but they did.
Old 11-03-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk God

It would help if Democratic primary voters understood what kind (particularly where a guy is from) of candidate it will take to win.
Old 11-03-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Red Dog
It would help if Democratic primary voters understood what kind (particularly where a guy is from) of candidate it will take to win.
So are you saying the South will never vote for a Northerner but the North will vote for a Southerner?

I despise that thinking.
Old 11-03-04, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by VinVega
I was honestly shocked by the grass roots Republican turnout. I didn't think they could find more people, but they did.

You shouldn't have been.

Old 11-03-04, 09:45 AM

Re: Where does the Democratic Party go from here?

Originally posted by VinVega
the country sent a clear message last night that Republican ideas and platforms appeal to the mainstream of America. Morals and values were stated as the main reason for voting by an overwhelming majority of Middle America.
I thought that was common knowledge?

What are your thoughts on the new <s>Democratic</s> Regional Party's direction?
Geographically speaking, I'd like to see them move several states to the South.
Old 11-03-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by CRM114
So are you saying the South will never vote for a Northerner but the North will vote for a Southerner?

I despise that thinking.

You can despise it all you want, but it is reality. Unless the Democrats nominate southerners or at least midwesterners, they will not win the White House. My proof? 1964-2004.
Old 11-03-04, 09:46 AM
Admin-Thanos

I despise that thinking.
Don't despise it because it's true.
Old 11-03-04, 09:54 AM

The election results map pretty much sums up what's wrong: the dems are not appealing to a wide portion of the country. There is more to the US than just the northwest and the west coast. The ultra-liberal positions on several issues are not appealing to the common people and are turning off mainstream america. They need to move to more centrist positions on the issues that appeal to the flyover country.

They can start with loosing the gun control issue. That has to be one of the largest turn offs for that big red section on the electon results map.
Old 11-03-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga

I despise that thinking.

Name the Yankee Democratic Presidents since WWII not named Kennedy. Now name where they're from.
Old 11-03-04, 10:14 AM

I suspect that a democrat from the Live Free or Die state would appeal to the South.

The problem is the democrats from up north are brought up in an ultra-liberal political environment. Getting a Democrat from the Northeast means getting an ultra-liberal, which means the south, midwest, and west will go Republican again. The values in the Northeast (West Coast/GreatLakesManufacturing) simply don't appeal to the rest of of America.
Old 11-03-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Democratic Party is still flawed in the two major areas I've been talking about for years:

1) They define themselves by the Republicans
2) If you're not with them, you're against them

Attribute #2 to Bush's foreign policy all you want, but the problem remains. When people fall out of step with the party line (a Southern Democrat, for example), they get torn apart. The whole "big tent" concept stretches credibility at times, but all those people the Democrats push away have to go somewhere, and most often it's the arms of the Republicans, who seem more willing to embrace the extra votes.

Also, as mentioned, they're losing the South. Georgia's always been a Democrat-friendly place, more conservative than the nation as a whole but still represented by people with D's next to their names. After this election, for the first time in most of our lives, we're almost completely Republican: Governor, both Senators, and the House. Having lived here a long time, that's strange to see, and it's indicative of how the Democratic Party has really lost touch with the South.

das
Old 11-03-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dork
Yep. Welcome to America. Best way to get elected today.
Old 11-03-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Clinton's had it right all along with the "new democrat" "end of big govt" "fiscal responsibility" strategy.

Clearly the Dems are losing on social issues, which Clinton was able to close the gap on in many respects...while not infringing on basic democratic principles of inclusion.

Idealogically, the Dems need to run people like Lieberman, but not so boring and odd.

In hindsight for this election...Wes Clarke might have been a better choice for VP.
Old 11-03-04, 10:24 AM

The Democratic clearly has to make changes, but I honestly don't think many drastic ones. I also think it would a mistake, a rush to judgement, to read too much into all of the Legislative races. For the most part, the GOP fielded better candidates, and were more organised.

That having been said, there are a couple of realities that the Democratic party needs to embrace. First, and perhaps foremost, is the demographic shifts that are taking place. They need to accept that winning New York, Pa., New Jersey, and California isn't what is used to be. Also accept that Florida is trending away from them. Once they embrace this fact, they will be able to address these new demographics.

The party also needs a cold slap to the face concerning which party's views are more agreed to by the majority of Americans. I believe the platforms and ideas of both parties are about equally received by America. Many Americans likely agree with portions of both parties' platforms. Such as an individual who supports abortion rights, but is against tax increases, even those on the wealthy of our society. It seems to me that many within the Democratic party feel that they are right and the Republicans are simply wrong, and further that the American electorate shares the same sentiments. This false sense of security, almost invincibility greatly hurts them. They can not move forward until they they acknowledge a great deal of Americans don't share their views, acknowledge that it isn't such a simple issue, acknowledge that they can't merely claim Americans support the environment and a fair tax policy, so they inherently support the Democratic party. It isn't true.

They also need to embrace the new economic realities facing our nation. They can't run on old policies of class warfare and protectionism. It doesn't work. Our nation has faced a paradigm shift in our economy, accept this shift and work towards support from that stance. Stop doing everything to pander to the Unions. If they don't, they will never win in the South. This is one lesson we can draw from the Senate races.

There is more, but that is a quick overview of some thoughts. Tweak things here and there, offer up good candidates, don't write off whole sections of the country, and act as if it is the twenty-first century. I think they can do this, whether they will is a whole other story. They have eight years.
Old 11-03-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I despise that thinking.
last northeast democrat to be elected president was JFK, and a lot of what he did would be considered republican policies today.

northeast and the west coast loved bill clinton a southern democrat. carter was from georgia. LBJ from texas. dukakis didn't pick lloyd bentsen because he liked texas, he needed a southerner on the ticket. just like kerry needed someone like edwards on the ticket. and we all know how mondale/ferraro turned out. i grew up in her district.

if the us constitution was written today, cows would get voting rights.
Old 11-03-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by chess
Clinton's had it right all along with the "new democrat" "end of big govt" "fiscal responsibility" strategy.

Clearly the Dems are losing on social issues, which Clinton was able to close the gap on in many respects...while not infringing on basic democratic principles of inclusion.

Idealogically, the Dems need to run people like Lieberman, but not so boring and odd.

In hindsight for this election...Wes Clarke might have been a better choice for VP.
but would the South vote for Lieberman (from CT)? I still don't get the blanket non-vote for notherners. We don't have a problem voting for southerners.

I would like to see Ed Rendell make a run but again, he's from PA. Wes Clark would have made a better Pres candidate period.
Old 11-03-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by al_bundy
last northeast democrat to be elected president was JFK, and a lot of what he did would be considered republican policies today.

northeast and the west coast loved bill clinton a southern democrat. carter was from georgia. LBJ from texas. dukakis didn't pick lloyd bentsen because he liked texas, he needed a southerner on the ticket. just like kerry needed someone like edwards on the ticket. and we all know how mondale/ferraro turned out. i grew up in her district.

if the us constitution was written today, cows would get voting rights.
And I'm trying to understand this phenomenon and can't. Will the south not vote for a northerner no matter how conservative he is??
Old 11-03-04, 10:33 AM

but would the South vote for Lieberman (from CT)? I still don't get the blanket non-vote for notherners. We don't have a problem voting for southerners.

I would like to see Ed Rendell make a run but again, he's from PA. Wes Clark would have made a better Pres candidate period.
Ed Rendell can not win. I don't doubt that he, along with Iowa's governor, will seriously consider a run, but he is, imho, unelectable.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.