Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Why Ohio, Media Ploy?

Old 11-03-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why Ohio, Media Ploy?

Maybe I missed it, maybe it's in another thread in this forum? Why is Ohio taking so long to get their votes in? No other states take this long. Is it just a media ploy to make people keep watching who is going to be the next president? I'm enjoying the suspense but I don't want to wait for another couple hours, some of us have to work tomorrow dang-nabbit!
Old 11-03-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't know how much it contributes to the delay, but I heard someone on TV saying that one of the candidates for local office (county prosecutor?) in Hamilton county quit the race, so there were a lot of write-in ballots for that office, which takes more time to count.
Old 11-03-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just heard from Dan on CBS that 70 % of the people voting in Ohio use the old chad system (like Florida used). Maybe I answered my own question?
Old 11-03-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ohio has exacting specifications on how to handle the interpretation of chads - Florida had none.
Old 11-03-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DJLinus
Don't know how much it contributes to the delay, but I heard someone on TV saying that one of the candidates for local office (county prosecutor?) in Hamilton county quit the race, so there were a lot of write-in ballots for that office, which takes more time to count.
Correct. Mike Allen stepped down as Prosecutor due to a sex scandal, which left both parties scrambling to find a candidate for the office. You could only vote for either candidate by write-in. As of 1:30 AM, only 27% of the write-in ballots (which are attached to the punch card) had been processed.