Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Oklahoma gets the first Republican House since 1922

Old 11-02-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Oklahoma gets the first Republican House since 1922

The Republicans picked up several seats that were emptied due to term limits, giving them a majority in the house for the first time since 1922.

Oklahoma also had a hotly contested US seat, with tons of mudslinging on both sides (which I think the Dems started, but I'm not sure.) The Republican picked that up, although he gave his victory speech 1 hour after the polls closed...

Bush ended up with a ~67% vote in Oklahoma - I am not sure if OK mostly votes Republican in the presidential race, or if OK mostly votes for the incumbent.

It looks like the Lottery question passed, so OK has joined the list of states with a Lottery.

Also, a "Defense of Marriage" bill looks like it passed with ~70%.
Old 11-03-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk God

The last Democrat to carry Oklahoma was LBJ.

Does that tell you how they vote?

They (we) also passed a ridiculous increase in the tobacco products tax - under the guise that it was a 'health' question.
Old 11-03-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by classicman2

They (we) also passed a ridiculous increase in the tobacco products tax - under the guise that it was a 'health' question.

You would never know that this tobacco SQ was actually a tax increase from all the ads, I only saw one that mentioned it was a tax on smoking. How many smokers are going to be pissed when they have to pay an extra $1 a pack?
Also the gay marriage atrocity is going to bite some people on the ass, as it eliminates any benefits to non married hetero couples. Smooth move in a state that has a large common law marriage population, eliminate some of your own benefits just to make sure some of them there gays can't enjoy the sacred (at 50% failure rate is so sacred to most) institute of marriage.

I do not know why I even bother voting in Oklahoma elections.
Old 11-03-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally posted by classicman2

I've never understood why OK goes one way on presidential elections, and the other way (except for now) on State House and Senate.

Also, I wouldn't have expected the same group of voters to be for a lottery and against gay marriage.
Old 11-03-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Oklahomans distinguish between the national Democratic Party and the State Democratic Party.

Oklahoma registration is better than 2-1 Democrat.

The lottery has failed on a number of other occasions.

Powerful entities within the state oppose a state lottery.