Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Pros & Cons of a Kerry Presidency

Old 11-02-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk God

The Pros & Cons of a Kerry Presidency

I guess we can talk about the new President since Zogby has bestowed the office upon him with his infallible progostications. We all know that Zogby is never wrong.

I'll give the usual disclaimer - my opinion only.

Pros:

1. A more sane tax policy - no more across-the-board tax cuts that basically benefit the wealthy. Unfortunately, with a Republican congress there's no way that he would be able to raise the taxes on folks that need to have their taxes raised; and, probably he would not be able to get the targetted cuts for the people who really need to have their taxes lowered.

2. Kerry would pose a lesser threat than Bush concerning Social Security. I don't believe the privitization scheme of Bush would be on the table in a Kerry administration.

Cons:

1. The principal one: The country would surely go another 4 years without a comprehensive energy package - something that we direly need.

2. I'm somewhat concerned about the foreign policy that Kerry might initiate. I'm afraid his emphasis on coalition building & depending upon the U.N. might be an impediment if we needed to defend U. S. interests and unilateral action appeared to be the only way to achieve it.

3. There will probably be a Supreme Court Justice or two that will retire during the next 4 years. It's pay-back time in the United States Senate for anyone he would choose to nominate. Therefore, there would be unfilled vacancy(ies) on the court.

There are obvious other pros & cons, but I'll defer to a later post.
Old 11-02-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pros - Hillary won't run in 2008.

And John Ashcroft won't be AG anymore.

Cons - I'm a bit concerned about his foreign policy, too.
Old 11-02-04, 06:16 PM

Pros - less "bully pulpit" support for the oppression of GLBT citizens.
Cons - higher taxes, more spending, weaker foreign policy... I could go on and on.
Old 11-02-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by B.A.
Pros - Hillary won't run in 2008.

And John Ashcroft won't be AG anymore.

Cons - I'm a bit concerned about his foreign policy, too.

I agree.

Another con - More O'Connor clones on the SCt.
Old 11-02-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the perception of US foreign policy would change but that in reality, nothing much will change.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually there was an article in The Australian (newspaper) about a week ago that said that despite what people (outside the US) thought, Kerry was for getting more European involvement in Iraq and lessening the emphasis on US involvement (something that may be more likely given he can argue that his administration wasn't responsible for starting the war).

But the really surprising thing was that (the article writer thought) Kerry was more in favour of American unilaterality than Bush. I don't have the article here, but it went on to say that Kerry favoured NOT involving the rest of the world (primarily Europe) when America made a decision and that America wouldn't allow itself to be vetoed by the rest of the world.

Whether or not that's really the case I don't know - it could be a bunch of BS - but it was an interesting take.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The Pros & Cons of a Kerry Presidency

Originally posted by classicman2

I'm somewhat concerned about the foreign policy that Kerry might initiate. I'm afraid his emphasis on coalition building & depending upon the U.N. might be an impediment if we needed to defend U. S. interests and unilateral action appeared to be the only way to achieve it.

Just had ta comment on this one..and I know the original poster is not alone in actually thinking this is what Kerry meant. No "Global Test" to defend the US...if we are attacked you won't have to worry about Kerry retaliating and stomping them into the ground. But yes...before attacking a country that is a possible threat only (Iraq, N. Korea, maybe Iran as they "tinker with" enriching Uranium) he would make sure our allies understand why we feel it is necessary and build a coalition of those that agree.

We now return you to the actual thread....
Old 11-02-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pro - No more whining about Bush

Con - Plenty of whining about Kerry
Old 11-02-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After Iraq, unilateralism is dead. It won't make a damn bit of difference whether it's Bush or Kerry. I'm convinced that the US won't be pre-emptively attacking anyone in the next 4 years.
Old 11-02-04, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

Not really sure how intense the right will be. But they would have both houses so I expect deadlock.

The is no doubt Kerry would handle international relations different which for me is the biggest plus.

Downsides will be for the most part be kept in check by congress I would expect.

C-man- For energy $2.50 per gallon will force the issue without the gov being involved. The problem is it means big losses for the US auto companies while they try to tool up to match the Japanese in fuel economy.
Old 11-02-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Red Dog
I agree.

Another con - More O'Connor clones on the SCt.
They have to be confirmed to be on the court.
Old 11-02-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mad Dawg

Con - Plenty of whining about Kerry
Paging kvrdave to thread 393959
Old 11-02-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pros: I will be able to bitch like a whiney little girl about how Kerry stole the election for four years.

Cons: I won't be able to do my "Bush Wins Banana Dance"

Seriously:
Pros: I think Kerry will be forced to lower the deficit (and not through new taxes because the Republicans in congress won’t let him).

Cons: I greatly fear our foreign policy will stop putting America first, and settle for a limp compromise with the UN
Old 11-02-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pros: Will still be playing football unless they get injured.
Cons: Will probably be allowed to vote in the next election.
Old 11-02-04, 06:38 PM

Pro: The radical, vocal left can get rid of their Hitler=Bush signs, and Imagine all the people of the world suddenly liking the US again (because people make it seem like they used to).

Con: Hearing that all the economic problems in the next 4 years would be the fault of the Republican congress.
Old 11-02-04, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Pros: Will still be playing football unless they get injured.
Cons: Will probably be allowed to vote in the next election.

I love you - man!
Old 11-02-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bfrank
C-man- For energy $2.50 per gallon will force the issue without the gov being involved. The problem is it means big losses for the US auto companies while they try to tool up to match the Japanese in fuel economy.
I was going to say that the market should have more of an effect than Kerry would.
Old 11-02-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Must admit, I tend to agree B.A.

While Kerry <i>will</i> be one factor in the price of world oil (and therefore gas), he will still only be a small fraction. Supply and demand make up most of the market price, and I don't see Kerry being able to do much of that, especially when a lot of the demand is coming from "emerging" markets (like China).
Old 11-02-04, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Mad Dawg

Old 11-02-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot one other major pro: That Kerry bastard didn't take Guam!
Old 11-02-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Pro- Welfare industry (specifically HUD) will reverse the cuts of Bush and I will have more people renting with a steady income.

Bush whining will end

Kerry whining will begin

Michael Moore will go back to tearing into Democrats like he did with Gore.

Con - No energy policy.

Wuss policy wrt international issues.

Incredible liberals in the cabinet.

Two Johns in the White House is enough to stink up the whole country.

I will have to find more loopholes in the tax system. Pro within a con....Kerry will provide them.
Old 11-02-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

con: We also get stuck with Tah-rez-ah and Edwards
Old 11-02-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pro: c-man may stop insisting that debates never have an effect.
Old 11-02-04, 07:07 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally posted by dork
Pro: c-man may stop insisting that debates never have an effect.

Good luck on that one. c-man sticks to his guns even when they're not loaded at times.

In all fairness, I didn't think they'd have much effect especially after the 2000 performance by Gore.
Old 11-02-04, 07:09 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally posted by eXcentris
I think the perception of US foreign policy would change but that in reality, nothing much will change.

We will still have an interventionist foreign policy. At this point, we don't have enough troops to invade anyone, unless we institute a draft, and I can imagine the backlash against that especially if one is to be recruited for wars of offense instead of defense.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.