Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

"If Kerry wins, it's because kids are afraid of the draft ..."

Old 11-02-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"If Kerry wins, it's because kids are afraid of the draft ..."

I heard that sentiment expressed numerous times this morning by all sorts of different people, some whose opinions reach many on national broadcastsand others who were simply talking to themselves. Hell, it was even coming from those who I had believed to be pro-Kerry.

Do "the kids" actually believe this? Do the talking heads actually believe that the kids believe this? Is it true?

I think you'll find I have spent zero time in here, except to tell stories of solicitations gone awry so forgive me if this has been discussed.
Old 11-02-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Kids make up a large portion of the 'carbon blobs.'
Old 11-02-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who said this of any importance?
Old 11-02-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm willing to bet that there are at least a few 18 year old men voting for Kerry only because they are under the mistaken belief that Bush is planning to reinstitute the draft. Not only are they politically wrong, but they haven't a clue about which body of gov't can reinstate the draft.
Old 11-02-04, 01:51 PM

Not true.

If Kerry wins, I honestly believe it is because of the following:

A good portion of Kerry voters are voting for Franklin Roosevelt and John F Kennedy.
Old 11-02-04, 01:52 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Damn P Diddy and his ingenious "Vote or Die" campaign!
Old 11-02-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

How many times has this been discussed on the forum - the return of the draft?

How can anyone believe that, whether Bush or Kerry is in the White House, there will be a return to the draft?
Old 11-02-04, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
I'm willing to bet that there are at least a few 18 year old men voting for Kerry only because they are under the mistaken belief that Bush is planning to reinstitute the draft. Not only are they politically wrong, but they haven't a clue about which body of gov't can reinstate the draft.
Not only that, but they don't have a clue about how a draft affects Bush. Being a total and complete cynic, here's how I view it: The Republicans are the last ones who want a draft. The sons of the wealthy conservative elite almost never, ever find themselves in a dangerous military situation. A draft changes that, and suddenly Joe Elite Conservative III now might find his butt in some third-world hell-hole getting shot at. Republicans DO NOT WANT a draft.

Now that being said, given our current administration's reckless (in my eyes) use of force we may NEED a draft.
Old 11-02-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

neither one supports a return of the draft but alot of uninformed young people seem to think that Bush wants to reinstitute the draft and that Kerry doesn't. Honestly you'd have to be pretty dumb to think that but hey whatever.
I won't argue with a Kerry voter if they vote for him for legitimate reasons, but I hate it when people list this BS reason as rationale for voting for him.
Old 11-02-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My brother and I are both of drafting age (18 and 21) and we both voted for Bush.

I do think, however that a lot of people seem to have worries about a draft. Just the other day my aunt was talking to my mom about how worried she was that the draft would be reinstated. Her oldest child is six .

The draft is certainly being played to get young people to vote a certain way (MTV's Voter ads almost always mention the 'draft' as a real fear.)

birrman54
Old 11-02-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Whether they be Republican or Democrat - there's no support for the draft. (sadly IMO)

I say again - there's probably not 20 votes in the House for its reinstatement.

There are none, that I can think of, in the Senate.
Old 11-02-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by classicman2
Whether they be Republican or Democrat - there's no support for the draft. (sadly IMO)

I say again - there's probably not 20 votes in the House for its reinstatement.

There are none, that I can think of, in the Senate.
I agree completely, of course I'm not sure how good a draft would be for the country/military, but I'm not completely opposed to it.

birrman54
Old 11-02-04, 02:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: "If Kerry wins, it's because kids are afraid of the draft ..."

Originally posted by BigPete
Do "the kids" actually believe this? Do the talking heads actually believe that the kids believe this? Is it true?

From the exposure I have to some people in that age range, I would say at least some do. Unfortunately that's far from being the only crazy political propaganda that they believe!
Old 11-02-04, 02:45 PM

Re: Re: "If Kerry wins, it's because kids are afraid of the draft ..."

Originally posted by Dead
From the exposure I have to some people in that age range, I would say at least some do. Unfortunately that's far from being the only crazy political propaganda that they believe!
Yup. Crazy stuff like "we are safer because of the Iraq invasion".
Old 11-02-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Obviously, there is no need or want for the draft at this moment in time. If we were to engage in another major conflict (which is a much higher likelihood under a Bush presidency) where would the troops come from? Opinions change rapidly based on need. If the need is dire enough, the Congress will vote like lemmings. Did you guys learn anything from the way the Congress voted for this bogus war?

The quote would more accurately reflect reality if it were: "If Kerry wins, it's because kids are afraid of more war..."
Old 11-02-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by CRM114
Obviously, there is no need or want for the draft at this moment in time. If we were to engage in another major conflict (which is a much higher likelihood under a Bush presidency) where would the troops come from? Opinions change rapidly based on need. If the need is dire enough, the Congress will vote like lemmings. Did you guys learn anything from the way the Congress voted for this bogus war?

The quote would more accurately reflect reality if it were: "If Kerry wins, it's because kids are afraid of more war..."
That's exactly how I feel. Of the two candidates, I think Bush is FAR more likely to send us into another conflict. Regardless of what they say now, when the need arises I wouldn't be surprised by the return of some kind of draft.
Old 11-02-04, 02:57 PM

Several of the people with whom I stood in line for the past 2+ hours were college students, and this is the main thing they discussed wrt to why they were voting. Actually, it was probably the only thing they mentioned.
Old 11-02-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by wendersfan
Several of the people with whom I stood in line for the past 2+ hours were college students, and this is the main thing they discussed wrt to why they were voting. Actually, it was probably the only thing they mentioned.
Did you tell them how stupid they were and ask them for ID and tell them that they were at the wrong location and video tape them while asking personal questions?
Old 11-02-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by wendersfan
What? The draft or Bush as warmonger?
Old 11-02-04, 03:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Re: Re: "If Kerry wins, it's because kids are afraid of the draft ..."

Originally posted by Son-volt
Yup. Crazy stuff like "we are safer because of the Iraq invasion".

I'm sure some do believe this, though I haven't heard much positive about Iraq from the majority of them. I probably wouldn't consider someone thinking we were safer, or less safe, to be crazy though, as there are at least semi-valid arguments to be made for each position. In this case, I'd just call them "wrong".
Old 11-02-04, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by CRM114
What? The draft or Bush as warmonger?
The draft.
Old 11-02-04, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Did you tell them how stupid they were and ask them for ID and tell them that they were at the wrong location and video tape them while asking personal questions?
No, I just regaled them with stories of all the elections past I'd voted in. They thought I was ancient. Now I know how c-man feels around this place.

Last edited by wendersfan; 11-02-04 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-02-04, 03:17 PM
Admin-Thanos

My 2 cents, there's not going to be a draft and it's not a central issue to the election even for the younger carbon blobs out there.
Old 11-02-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think maybe 5% or less of the entire voting population qualifies to be drafted, so, it's quite a ridiculous thought if Kerry wins, it's due to draft-dodging.
Old 11-02-04, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
I think maybe 5% or less of the entire voting population qualifies to be drafted, so, it's quite a ridiculous thought if Kerry wins, it's due to draft-dodging.
You're assuming people are informed and rational.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.