Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

"If Kerry wins, it's because kids are afraid of the draft ..."

Old 11-02-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If kerry has his way, you young guys will serve.
Fixed.

Kerry will need a co-operative Congress to reinstate the draft, and experts say it is likely that at least the House will remain in GOP hands.
Old 11-02-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by GreenMonkey
Some of us are skeptical. How many wars/conflicts or whatever P.C. name the government slaps on them, can you have before you are forced to have more troops? I don't believe you can pacify Iraq with more troops. How many pre-emptive invasions do you have before you are forced to move to a draft? The military is stretched thin as it is.
The active military was all volunteer and the authorized strength was over 50% larger just prior to the fall of the Soviet Union, so my answer is "at least that big."
Old 11-02-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by johnglad
Laugh all you want. You have given me crap in many threads for a long time.

My point is that the kids that are voting certainly aren't dumb. In fact, the ones that believe the draft are among the smartest.

I just said it above. In my mind, Bush's war (the Bush doctrine) can't be won under current circumstances.

A draft would always be re-instated by a 2nd term president that has no election to worry about. I don't see Dick running in 2008, so the draft would be someone else's problem in 2008. Surely you would agree with that.

Again, yes a 50/50 chance with Bush for 4 more years. Feel free to feel differently, but many people disagree. And they are voting.
i've given you crap? sorry about that, but i dont even "know" you (don't recognize your username that much).

do you realize that the president can't reinstate the draft himself?
Old 11-02-04, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by classicman2
Let's not try peddle this red herring nonsense.
I don't think it's red herring nonsense to think that Bush and his bloodthirsty warhawk administration might get us into an overseas quagmire that will require a huge military effort to get us out of. We are already in that kind of situation. I hardly think it's a reach to think he could make it worse, and that a draft could be required to get our butts out.

Honestly, I don't think that's less of a stretch than "the war in Iraq has made us safer."
Old 11-02-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"bloodthirsty warhawk administration" .... please, can we atleast keep the rhetoric down?

do you think Congress will okay another overseas effort?
Old 11-02-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Son-volt
I don't think it's red herring nonsense to think that Bush and his bloodthirsty warhawk administration might get us into an overseas quagmire that will require a huge military effort to get us out of. We are already in that kind of situation. I hardly think it's a reach to think he could make it worse, and that a draft could be required to get our butts out.

I'll refrain from using the word nonsense.
Old 11-02-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Honestly, I don't think that's less of a stretch than "the war in Iraq has made us safer."
the current definition of a stretched military is a 1 year tour of duty in iraq, followed by 1 year back in the US resting and then back to Iraq. Compare to WW2 when drafted soldiers served from 1940 until after the end of the war in many cases in constant combat.

draft won't happen simply because with today's technology by the time a soldier is fully trained it's almost time to get out of the military.
Old 11-02-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right on, Son-volt. Ask 20-year-olds today whether Bush has made them safer.
Old 11-02-04, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by classicman2

I'll refrain from using the word nonsense.
Time to break out the "hogwash"?
Old 11-02-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the twenty year olds i know are voting for bush
Old 11-02-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My point is that the kids that are voting certainly aren't dumb. In fact, the ones that believe the draft are among the smartest.

I just said it above. In my mind, Bush's war (the Bush doctrine) can't be won under current circumstances.

A draft would always be re-instated by a 2nd term president that has no election to worry about. I don't see Dick running in 2008, so the draft would be someone else's problem in 2008. Surely you would agree with that.

Again, yes a 50/50 chance with Bush for 4 more years. Feel free to feel differently, but many people disagree. And they are voting.

I can point you to a few threads on some forums I visit (mainly populated by the 18-25 yo demo) where many believe the draft will come back.

dude, do u WANT to get drafted or something? lol

Certainly looks like the work of a mental genius to me.
Old 11-02-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

just curious, why would you take the SATs again if you got a perfect score?
Old 11-02-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by wendersfan
Time to break out the "hogwash"?
I simply can't believe that people can believe this 'the draft is coming back' nonsense.

I've invited them time & time again to tell me how this is going to be accomplished - oh, maybe 20 years or so from now when the politicians and the American people may think differently on the subejct.

Remember when this first came up? The scare mongers were saying that 'Bush was going to reinstate the draft,' like that's all it took - Bush saying so. Add to that, Bush is entirely opposed to its reinstatement.

You're right - hogwash is the proper word.
Old 11-02-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

okay, i did a search. is this what youre talking about? http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...58#post5289858

if so, i think it was warranted
Old 11-02-04, 05:45 PM

I honestly don't think the draft has a snowballs chance in hell in coming back. Bush and Kerry will both bail on Iraq should things every become that desperate, even if the entire place implodes as we leave. The damage a draft would do to the authorizing party would be massive, worse than a cut-and-run.

I do however think that things could possibly get bad enough where a choice has to be made. I think we are getting close to having to make that choice. And since I'm choosing this election between the guy who got us to this point and someone who isn't that guy, then then I'll go for the guy who didn't put us in the bad position.
Old 11-02-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk God

If Iraq truly became a quagmire (which it's not now), and we really need more forces to deal with the situation, how do you believe that would be accomplished?

1. Reinstitute the draft and wait a couple of years or so before you would receive any tangible benefit from it?

2. Take troops from other sectors - Europe (especially Germany) & Korea comes to mind, and have an almost immediate tangible benfit?

Let reason be your guide in the answer.
Old 11-02-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bush and Kerry will both bail on Iraq should things ever become that desperate, even if the entire place implodes as we leave.
This has a 90% chance of happening if Bush is re-elected. If Kerry gets in it also has about a 90% chance, but at least there will be a different president.
Old 11-02-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

some people were saying that bush is set to pull most of hte troops after the election on jan 1. who knows if that is true
Old 11-02-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

HAHAHA

That was a funny excerpt from their FAQs.
Old 11-03-04, 12:08 AM
X
Administrator

Young voters do think Bush will re-instate the draft and they will break for Kerry bigtime. That will be a major storyling tonight (the huge turnout by young voters for Kerry).

The honest truth is that the war isn't going well. We have lost 10% of our force (1100+ killed and 10,000 wounded and out of action). We have Iran and Syria and North Korea on the docket. We haven't found Osama and have only 15,000 troops in Afghanistan.

I would assume that Bush will try to win the war in Iraq if re-elected. It is obvious there isn't enough troops. Bush considers this a long term ongoing war against terror. With no massive enlargement of troop levels we have no chance. That is the bottom line. Current recruitment is running 50% behind in the military. I don't see people lining up to go to Iraq for extended ongoing duty.

I have a Masters degree and got a perfect sat score (twice). The kids that believe it aren't dumb, they just don't trust Bush. I honestly believe that there is a 50/50 chance Bush would re-instate the draft (with a Republican congress) if re-elected. That happens when you piss off a country and no one believes you.
Placemark
Old 11-03-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You find it frustrating that she doesn't want you to get drafted?
I'm pretty sure you are being sarcastic, but I was frustrated in her unfounded fear that Bush would impose the draft in contrast to Kerry.

How are you getting the 50/50 figure, my sources tell me more like 90/21/0.

Originally posted by Venusian
just curious, why would you take the SATs again if you got a perfect score?
Good question.

Young voters do think Bush will re-instate the draft and they will break for Kerry bigtime. That will be a major storyling tonight (the huge turnout by young voters for Kerry).
Actually I saw the opposit on ABC, huge voter registration for younger voters, but no larger turnout.

Last edited by msdmoney; 11-03-04 at 12:45 AM.
Old 11-03-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Considering hardly anyone under 30 has much of an impact on an election because they don't vote the very premise of this thread is silly. I think the 18-29 year olds are only 16% of the voters. Its those senior citizens worried about robots eating their medicine that decide elections.

Last edited by darkside; 11-03-04 at 12:41 AM.