Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Press found to be more Pro-Kerry than any other candidate since '80

Old 11-02-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

where is that quote from the editor of Newsweek
Old 11-02-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Obviously forged memos come out about supposed problems with Bush's National Guard record. It's jumped on by everybody until it's proven patently false, then only the originating network refuses to see the light.

A book written by 280 Swift Boat vets, numerous ones which served with and alongside Kerry with supposed problems with Kerry's war medals and anti-war activism. The only network that even interviews any of the members is Fox News.

Now, tell me there is no bias.
Old 11-02-04, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by darkflounder
Now, tell me there is no bias.
There's tons of blatant bias all over the place. Just look at Fox News
Old 11-02-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Son-volt
There's tons of blatant bias all over the place. Just look at Fox News
Fox News, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS and most most of the major newspapers
Old 11-02-04, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by classicman2
Fox News, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS and most most of the major newspapers
It's not just political bias though. People can (and have) gone back and forth about political bias in the news all day. Personally, I don't see much of it aside from Rather/CBS to the left and Fox to the right.

However, where I do see tons of media bias in in terms of self-promotion. When Fox has the World Series, their news spends more time covering the World Series as an important piece of news. When "The Apprentice" is doing well, NBC spends more time talking about "the newest reality sensation!" in a bit on their news show. 48 hours softballs stories that may tick off sponsors. CBS buries the Reagan movie even though it was kinder to the Gipper than Primary Colors was to Bubba, etc.
Old 11-02-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bushdog
Oh, and I wouldn't mind if a mod could fix my spelling error in the title.
I forund your spelling quite amusing.

- David Stein
Old 11-02-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Bias" is one of those terms that people just throw around in an attempt to simply invalidate an argument. As if "bias"="wrong". Perhaps the reason that Kerry has received better press is because there are better things to say about him.

Objectivity does not mean that one side cannot be favored over the other. As far as I've seen, none of the news coverage has been showing blind favoritism, including Fox News (the pure news, not the opinion shows).

Let's say for argument's sake that the "truth" is that Kerry IS in fact, the better candidate. Then, if the media has better articles about him, then they are in fact, being accurate and unbiased. A lot of people here seem to like to use the argument that because a media outlet has an argument that shows one of the candidates in a favorable light, it's proof that they are biased. Ergo, they are wrong.
Old 11-02-04, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by hahn
"Bias" is one of those terms that people just throw around in an attempt to simply invalidate an argument. As if "bias"="wrong". Perhaps the reason that Kerry has received better press is because there are better things to say about him.

Objectivity does not mean that one side cannot be favored over the other. As far as I've seen, none of the news coverage has been showing blind favoritism, including Fox News (the pure news, not the opinion shows).

Let's say for argument's sake that the "truth" is that Kerry IS in fact, the better candidate. Then, if the media has better articles about him, then they are in fact, being accurate and unbiased. A lot of people here seem to like to use the argument that because a media outlet has an argument that shows one of the candidates in a favorable light, it's proof that they are biased. Ergo, they are wrong.
VERY well said!

I often wonder why this is so hard to understand.
Old 11-02-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so yall are arguing Kerry is the best person to run for President since '80?
Old 11-02-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hahn, is, of course, right. My general point was that the negativity they speak of re: Bush is understandable, but the positivity re: Kerry is hard to understand. As a lifelong Democrat I find him inoffensive but hardly an inspiring story or a man of vision.
Old 11-02-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally posted by dick_grayson
relax, I just don't like to believe everything I read. cool out! everyone just cool out!
It's not just you, it's the other "members" of the forum too that don't see either the AP or Reuters after a link to a Fox News dot com linked article that is simply cut and pasted from the newswire and scream "conservative bias".
Old 11-02-04, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by hahn
This is a fascinating theory, but how does that explain how, until this election, the candidate with the most positive press was Walter Mondale?
Old 11-02-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by wendersfan
This is a fascinating theory, but how does that explain how, until this election, the candidate with the most positive press was Walter Mondale?
It doesn't!!

Political bias does explain it, however.